Jabsco twist & lock problem

CFarr

Me: Well inland. Boat: Bellanoch, Crinan Canal
Visit site
I replaced my old Jabsco pump with a new twist & lock a year or so ago and all has been fine until last season when the lever started flicking back slightly (on the first pump) when pushed over to the right to drain.
it is only a very slight movement, barely noticeable but it does stop you being able to pump. We now have to hold the lever hard over while pumping at the same time and after 2 or 3 pumps it stays where it is and we can release it.
is this something I can sort easily before I buy a complete new pump again?
All is fine on the flush setting when the lever is over to the left.

I’ve removed and reassembled the top gaskets which has made no difference.
I've also removed the joker valve, cleaned and refitted - also no difference.

TIA

Stooriefit

Visit site
I've used Jabsco twist and locks for a while without any problems. I've serviced a few times now and haven't had any issues so I'd be reluctant to suggest you spend the money on replacement is that isn't necessary. Two thoughts come to mind - (1) it might be worth taking the pump to bits again and cleaning it down in case something had got into the works or (2) maybe the problem isn't with the pump but your seacock inlet. It is possible that the stopcock has stopped working properly. I had an issue with mine which seems to be working okay but on lift out I discovered that the ballcock wasn't turning correctly - only viable from outside looking in.

johnalison

Visit site
They are usually very reliable. I have occasionally encountered a problem when the lever wasn't pushed right across, but not with it springing back. I agree that it is worth dismantling and cleaning, but it may be a small manufactoring fault with something out of tolerance. If you can be bothered, it might be worth claiming a replacement.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
It sounds as if it something to do with the rubber valve assembly in the head, in particular the spring which acts on one of the valves.

I would probably reassemble it all with silicone grease to make sure that nothing is sticking in there but I've never had that problem. The little handle sticking and not quite closing properly is more common and I have had that.

Richard

Leighb

Visit site
We have had this identical problem, dismantling the little lever, cleaning it up and it’s housing and re-assembly with a little silicone lubricant solved the problem.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
When the blue lever jumping back thing starts to happen on my Jabsco, it’s usually sorted by taking the pump head to bits, careful cleaning and reassembly. If that doesn’t work, then I replace the rubber gasket assembly in the pump head including the little spring and that has always sorted it out. Remember that the pump head gasket also has some little weights and seals built into it: any bits of trapped stuff will stop them doing their job.

VicS

Visit site
I replaced my old Jabsco pump with a new twist & lock a year or so ago and all has been fine until last season when the lever started flicking back slightly (on the first pump) when pushed over to the right to drain.
it is only a very slight movement, barely noticeable but it does stop you being able to pump. We now have to hold the lever hard over while pumping at the same time and after 2 or 3 pumps it stays where it is and we can release it.

TIA
I dont understand why the slight movement actually prevents you being able to pump. It should just allow the outlet valve to close, the pump then operating in the flush mode

However try the remedies suggested in #5 and #6 ... inspecting the lever for signs of damage or distortion.

There is no need to replace the whole pump assembly . The top cover c/w flush/ drain lever, fixing screws and spring ( but excluding the "top valve gasket" ) is available as "service kit C" for less than half the cost of the entire pump

It strikes me that there is nothing holding the lever in the dry bowl position and that the "trouble" you are encountering is almost certain to occur sooner or later.

See the full parts diagrams and lists at
Jabsco 29090-5000 - Manual 'Twist n' Lock' toilet, compact bowl / Manual Toilets / Toilets / Marine Toilets / Marine / Xylem JabscoShop - Jabsco & Rule Pumps and more - from the experts For the copact bowl version
(or Jabsco 29120-5000 - Manual 'Twist n' Lock' toilet, regular bowl / Manual Toilets / Toilets / Marine Toilets / Marine / Xylem JabscoShop - Jabsco & Rule Pumps and more - from the experts For the regular bowl version )

Some instructional videos at Video Library | Xylem US

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

TIA
I would totally agree with all the sage advice above , regarding cleaning and reassembly etc. and would advise you to scrutinise the weights and the spring very carefully. Have a look at the parts of the lever inside the cover and understand how it works.
With regard to the part of your question which refers to "...buying a complete new pump again.", I would recommend that you do so, even if you get the existing pump working perfectly, as, in the event of a future malfunction at sea, you will always have a serviced, fully functional unit at hand, to substitute very swiftly for the non working one, which can be sealed in a plastic bag to be attended to at a more convenient time.

VicS

Visit site

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Xylem need to make their minds up, I've been waiting for a couple of service kits and latest email from them yesterday says The service kit 29045-3000 is expected in stock in 4 weeks. The web site is showing 100 in stock.