Jabsco toilet

viva

Visit site
During the winter layup I replaced the sea cocks for the toilet inlet and discharge. On using the toilet for the first time it is not pumping water in, but pumps out ok. The jabsco is a mystery to me any ideas on what I need to check or replace. Does it need to be primed? ( yes the sea cock is open and the boat is in the water!)
Thanks for your help

Pinnacle

Visit site
Sounds like the non return flap may be inside out.

You can buy a service kit to replace the rubber bits ............ but in your shoes I would buy a whole new toilet. If you compare the price of the service bits with the price of a complete new loo, the new loo is much better value.

PS SWMBO will also like the fact the whole loo is new too! :encouragement:

Dipper

Visit site
Chuck some vegetable oil in and use some every time you finish flushing the toilet. Mine didn't pump in at the start of the season but the oil did the trick. It may of course be broken but it's worth a try. I use cheap sunflower oil.

pvb

Visit site
During the winter layup I replaced the sea cocks for the toilet inlet and discharge. On using the toilet for the first time it is not pumping water in, but pumps out ok. The jabsco is a mystery to me any ideas on what I need to check or replace. Does it need to be primed? ( yes the sea cock is open and the boat is in the water!)

I guess we can assume that it worked OK before? If so, pour a load of water into the bowl and, with the lever set to "flush" pump it out. If that doesn't encourage water to be pumped in, you need to look at the flat rubber valve sheet in the top of the pump.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks for your help

Very probably one of the little valves in the top part of the pump is not closing properly

There are links to videos that explain hownthe Jabsco manual toilets( and other Jabsco equipment ) work at http://jabscotech.com/

In particular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnQq4d-NmkE explains how the pump works

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4MCImxPT9w explains why flushing water may not be drawn in

ex-Gladys

Visit site
On older Jabscos, the valve "sheet" under the control lever didn't have weights on the valve flaps, so if you left the lever in the recommended position (to the right) then the fill valve was pushed open, and without a weight retains that position when the lever is moved left. Later valve piece has weights attached so drops back... Take top off pump and take a look, cheap to replace

prv

Visit site
if you left the lever in the recommended position (to the right)

Why would the right / dry position be "recommended"? Since, as you say, it tends to deform the flush valve.

On Ariam the lever is always left in the "flush" position so that the valve remains unmolested.

Pete

andyo

Visit site
I'd like to second Vics's comments on these videos. I recently refurbished my Jabsco and found them very helpful. I bought a service kit for around £20 and that has resulted in a fully operational toilet.

VicS

Visit site
Why would the right / dry position be "recommended"? Since, as you say, it tends to deform the flush valve.

On Ariam the lever is always left in the "flush" position so that the valve remains unmolested.

Pete

Good question, but its what the operating instructions say.

perhaps its what also leads to the misconception that leaving the lever in the "dry bowl" position somehow prevents in syphoning of water if the seacock is left open/ vented loop is not fitted.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Good question, but its what the operating instructions say.

perhaps its what also leads to the misconception that leaving the lever in the "dry bowl" position somehow prevents in syphoning of water if the seacock is left open/ vented loop is not fitted.

Maybe I'm just a cynic (moi?) but perhaps Jabsco insist on the right-hand "dry bowl" position because they sell more spares kits? :rolleyes:

Richard

prv

Visit site

Certainly before I owned a boat and first dismantled one of these, I used to always leave it in the dry position as I assumed there was some kind of valve in there which was best left shut. Complete misconception as, for those who don't know, what the lever does is jab a sort of plastic finger into the valve flap to hold it open, thus defeating the flush pump so it simply moves the same water back and forth. The dry position does nothing to stop water passing through; if anything it makes it marginally easier by holding the valve open.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
Are you sure that it's not the bottom flap valve that now has the embedded weight? The last Jabsco I stripped down still has the spring operated flap valve at the top, with no weight, which is the one we're referring to.

Richard

See either of the videos I linked to or go to

Last edited:

ithet

Visit site
Thanks for your help

You should try priming it by filling the bowl with water. If it the pumps OK, but does not work after being left for some time it could be an air leak on the intake side. Check the intake host connections and also look for cracks in the hose at the joints.

VicS

Visit site
You should try priming it by filling the bowl with water. If it the pumps OK, but does not work after being left for some time it could be an air leak on the intake side. Check the intake host connections and also look for cracks in the hose at the joints.

Filling the bowl wont prime the flush water half of the pump and in his opening post the OP says, " it is not pumping water in, but pumps out ok"
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?433967-Jabsco-toilet#xjUzU5OWgLoG1P0j.99

Brightside

Visit site
Have also had problems. Toilet was supposedly serviced with service kit but seems no better. We have limited water coming in. Have tried flushing through with lots of water and pumping but no change. Should we also be looking at a new toilet? Seems such a waste when rest of toilet in very good condition. Front head works perfectly.

Other threads that may be of interest