Jabsco toilet lubrication

mikewilkes

Visit site
I only leave my mistress for a month at a time but before I do I turn off the seacock and fill it up with fresh water. Do that a couple of times and it seems OK every time I go back. Well up to now anyway. I will be back to her on Thursday so you may get a different story then!!!
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
I pumped a couple of glugs of olive oil through the system every time I went aboard at the start of a wekend, say. Kept it permanently running sweetly. During the winter, if the boat is on the water, I always keep everything in commission by using engine, toilet, seacocks etc etc every 4 weeks. Seemed to work fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
you're living too healthy - try a high fat diet!

(this answer was not really posted by birdseye, but an imposter)

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Pumping out after adding a lubricant to the bowl only lubricates the lower side of the piston and maybe does something for the bore. The upper half handles the incoming water and I believe that it is here that the squeaks and 'stick' develop. To lubricate throughout you need to get some oil into the suction pipe. Take the pipe off the seacock and dip it into a container of water plus oil, pump through. The effects will last much longer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
Vyv - thanks for that. I feel that the oile treatment is possibly second best. After all the toilet worked fine for the first year. I wonder whether using silicone grease directly on the cylinder interior is the best treatment. On the other hand some posts imply that taking the thing to bits is best avoided whenever possible

<hr width=100% size=1>Roger

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I favour the silicone grease method. It's almost insoluble in water, so stays in place longer. I'm not familiar with the Jabsco but in general toilets are easy to strip and replace. Main thing is to bear in mind that plastic fittings, threaded holes and little parts can break easily, so use only the minimum of force.

<hr width=100% size=1>

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
I have to say that until last year, I favoured silicone grease, then I read about olive oil. It works far better IMHO, and the pump requires less effort to operate. A drop every month or so does the trick for me. It also minimises the risk Vyv mentioned of breakage (my heads are both ITT Jabsco however, with self tapping screws into plastic, so I'm not keen to dissemble them too often).

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
You could fit a T piece in the pipe near the sea cock, with a valve then do as we do and flush through with fresh water before you leave her and plonk a bit of olive oil in as well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
My XM heads from Compass worked fine for two days then started to get stiffer and stiffer.

After two weeks away myself and SWMBO both had matching callusses on our pumping hands and the mechanism was virtually inoperable - sticking, juddering and erratic. (Yes, I am talking about the heads, nothing organic . . .)

After a huge hassle with Compass I received and fitted a new pump. After a couple of days of light duty and a day's use in earnest it is exhibiting the same symptoms. Silicone grease comes out around the pump handle shaft. Olive oil applied to the shaft itself so it runs down to the topside of the piston improves matters slightly, but at the moment I feel like throwing it away and buying a Jabsco.

Could this be anything to do with the fact that the outlet pipe is only two inches long? I would have thought that was a bonus.

_ Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>