I've been certified

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Well, actually, not me but the boat. I had the MCA Part 1 renewal notice about a month ago but, not liking spending the money, I left it - and lost it!

I also noticed that I hadn't notified them of the change of engine. So I gave them a call - first shock was that I had to pay twice! Once for renewal & again for change of details! Apparently, they can't save money by doing them at the same time.:rolleyes:

But they sent me a new form & I found all the paid up invoices for the engine work (I have to prove there are no bills outstanding against the vessel) added the cheque (Ouch!) & sent it off. I was expecting some issues & correspondence to sort out details, but, no, it arrived today, less than a week after I sent the stuff off.

Well done MCA, pity about the cost, but hey-ho you don't get much for nowt these days.

Billjratt

Visit site
When we got the last 2 boats they had both been part 1 registered, the first one came with the blue book, beautifully written in copperplate, and we did go abroad in her.
For some inexplicable reason, I updated the registration of our current boat as well, even though we have no intention of going foreign. It just seemed right to have the correct information on file.
I can't see me renewing it on a regular basis though. I don't mind paying for amendments, but I do object if nothing has changed.

Other means of money grabbing are available.

See also - passport driving licence (photo only= £20) ICC etc. etc. etc.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I wear a blue ensign & staying registered is part of the rigmarole required for retaining the warrant. It might also be a selling point if I ever decide to sell her, which doesn't seem that likely at present.

I too still have the lovely old blue book with all the former owners' details written in lovely copperplate script, but it's all just laminated print outs now. They're more practical, but rather naff in comparison.

sailorman

Visit site
I wear a blue ensign & staying registered is part of the rigmarole required for retaining the warrant. It might also be a selling point if I ever decide to sell her, which doesn't seem that likely at present.

I too still have the lovely old blue book with all the former owners' details written in lovely copperplate script, but it's all just laminated print outs now. They're more practical, but rather naff in comparison.

Also a stealth tax
the Part 1 used to be 4 ever until change of ownership "we now need to keep our records up to date " Bollix

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
Part 1 is only really for selling, easier to check for mortgages and loans, (oh and the blue rag thing) you only need the SSR for overseas travel.

I have the old blue book too, lots of different script, and registered office in Glasgow.
The new one is A4 laminated, but just as good, but no previous owners.