Italy

whisper

Visit site
Flights booked and yacht chartered from Piombino in Tuscany in early April.
Would a round trip to Corsica and calling at a couple of places on Elba be worthwhile ? Any advice about the area would be appreciated.

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Re: Never sailed in Corsica

I have spent a few weeks on Elba. It has its good points. In 1999 there was no charge in the main port [ Can't remember name] They were providing electricity and water but squabbling over administration. Expect lots of pushing a shoving on the quay as everyone tries to force their way in. There was a fight when I was there and a little boat was crushed. Opposite, on the anchorage, people have unoffically laid moorings in the best places and elsewhere is very poor holding.

The island is very historic and beautiful otherwise.

tcm

Visit site
Re: corsica

yes, making towards corsica will be better than plonking northwards where places like livorno are a bit brightonish.

I have been to west coast corsica, and even in stiffwinds places like st florent are very good, lovely litle town and good anchoring outside. Calvi is also well worth a trip. The west coast is v unprotected if the wind is at all west stormy, simply not worth it imho. Ajaccio is commercial, fairly missable, a bit like Nimes: once you've seen napoleons birthpace, that's it really. I understand that Bonfacio is not missable, so if winds are nasty from NW stay on the east side and creep to bonifacio. But ooh heck those winds are wacky and wild, varying f7 to f1 in just a 10 mile stretch, so ask around.

Photographs of Corsica take at least 9 months to develop.