it will be alright on the night!

G

havin purchased an aging westerly 30, completely refurbished inside, looking very good I must say, launch day came so did the crane, 16 ton hi- ab remote controlled, did a fantastic job dropped boat onto beach, waited for tide, started engine and motored onto mooring. Being extremely keen to take her for her first sail in a long time, up with main and no1. To the shouts of joy at making 6 knots in a light wind enjoying the odd "Stella" shouts from below from my 9 year old daughter!! dad can I use the loo, "of course you can sweatheart" after using it myself along with various crew members the time came to reduce sail and head back to the mooring, first night on board excitment grew, cosy inside and outside the wind going to the north and blowing at around 30 knots, after only having had cats previously needless to say it was a bit bumpy, but we survived and headed in to the shelter of our winter mooring that afternoon. With no wind a flat sea and being able to step ashore it was a haven. The time was then spent trying to fathom out why the loo wont pump or empty, some of you will state the obvious"are the cocks open , one definately is the other the outlet is either permannently siezed open or shut I dont know, either way I am stuck with a loittle puddle in the loo, I believe that it is a sl400 and an old one at that, so sensible suggestions please. Last but not least all of the deck fittings and winches are original(Bakelite) I mean tufnol or imitation brown stuff!! I have two barlow winches that I would like to put on, can I assume that the hole centres forn the fixing bolts are the same? Last but not least, those of you that have or are about to have a boat transported pump the bilges first!!, I was renewing the impeller on the MD2 and noticed some old water and oil in the bilge, not realising that the bilge on the westerly 30 was so deep ignored it, of course when a HI-AB travells at near 70mph stops and starts en route, where does the water and oil go? into every nook and cranny it can find covering the recently varnished floors and sails stowed in the wrong lockers. Just thought you might enjoy my little experience, once bitten twice shy so they say>

snowleopard

Visit site
sl400

the sl400 has a double-action diaphragm pump. one chamber pumps out and the other in. if it won't empty there are two possible causes: hope it isn't a perished diaphragm which requires a complete strip-down. the other is a dead joker valve which you can get at by undoing the elbow to which the outlet hose connects (big plastic nut).

If it won't fill either however, it's probably the diaphragm. (remember that to fill the bowl you push the pump handle to the left).

simpson lawrence don't make new ones any more but you can still buy a variety of spares kits.

johnt

Visit site
theres a funny thing in English ....its called a paragraph..I have just read your posting and I couldnt understand what you where on about !

AndrewB

Visit site
Nice posting Morrigh, thanks for the tip about pumping out before trailing, something I wouldn't have thought of. But in future you will be going everywhere by water!

The larger Barlow winches have a bottomplate with three bolts which carry the main gearing, so may not fit too well in the gap left by your Tufnol winches. Tufnol is good stuff by the way, lasts a lot better than plastic, so if your kit is working OK I would not be in a rush to get rid of it. If you have the older style winches with a bottom handle, they are very convenient for cruising, even if you can't wind in as fast as would be needed when racing.

If the seacock's gone on your loo, and it won't pump, sounds like its seized shut. If its a gate valve type, this isn't suprising. Brass seacocks don't like urine, and have to be replaced regularly. 'Fraid you are going to have to lift out and get it fixed. Check out all the other seacocks, and the stern gland and get all that need doing done at the same time. Its quite practicable as a DIY job, so long as you can get hold of decent spanners of the right size - don't waste time with novelty plumbers' wrenches.

G

With ref to the to the gentleman who couldnt understand what "morrigh" was talking about, I would assume by reading the posting, he was telling us about his latest venture.

Regardless of the lack of paragraphs, it was quite easy to understand, there are lessons to be learned from everybodys mis-fortunes, my own similar mis-fortune was a lesson well learnt. nevertheless we shouldnt criticise other peoples grammar, spelling etc.

The forum is for communication, for learning, and for experiences shared.

johnt

Visit site
theres a big differance between passing on information and just prattling on

information need to be in a digestable form, and that was indigestable!

G

John T whoever you are, I tried to restrain myself from making any comments to any replies that I may thankfully recieve on the forum, except to say thankyou to those who replied. However I seem to remember John T from some other forum in a previous life, who always replied with criticism to threads posted. I can accept criticism , I dont have a problem with it as long as it leeds to useful advice.

In my case the advice to other Yachties was, check the loo before launch, check the bilge before launch and really any thing else that could be picked up from the thread!.

The only advice that you have offered me is that I need to check my grammar! ok so I have a problem, quite simply if you did not understand my thread then why reply? Thankyou for your attention.

G

Bit like your spelling John t, but I am sure you will be alright on the night!!! Mr bloody perfect, by the way My propellor was the first thing I checked ref; Yanmar loss of power. Give the man a break and say some thing constructive for a change.!!!

G

People who live in glass houses...

'It'll be alright on the night' was a most interesting and instructive article. Johnt's response was ungracious and itself contained 4 grammatical errors and a spelling mistake.

G

unhelpful people

This forum is not just for passing on information. Surely it's also for like-minded people to exchange experiences and views which others may or may not find useful. Why bother criticizing spelling and grammar. We are not at school. Let us simply learn from others and be decent about it. Or be quiet.

G

John t looks like you have had your come uppance!(did I spell that correctly)? Happy days.

G

Re:it still aint alright on the night

Looking for a little advice, my Westerly 30 has an old head, I believe it is something" compact".

The inlet valve is free but the outlet is siezed solid, with the help of a plumber we still cannot shift it to the open position.

This is obviously stopping any water coming through the inlet as it has nowhere to go!, the body of the valve(gate type I believe) is glassed into the hull.

Second problem involves the port sheet winch, which is TUFNOL, having stripped it down there should be 3 arms brass with springs, there are onlt 2 and these are worn, does anybody have any idea where I could start looking for spares in order to make it servicable.

I would like to thank anybody who can help, in advance, PS willing to travel to collect if anybody knows where!!

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Re: unhelpful people

Undue bitching about spelling, grammar, etc. is a bit unfair. Especially since typing onto a tv screen seems to encourage both (loads of) unlooked-for mistakes and a certain devil may care insouciance. (crumbs did I spell that right?)

But.

I also think that a certain amount of courtesy, thought for others, desire to communicate, pride in whatever one is saying, etc. does mean that some degree of use of (a) sentences, (b) paragraphs, (c) spelling and (d) grammar is a good idea, if not essential.

-----------------------------
P.S
Don't take this as critcising Morrigh. I read the original message through and understood it just fine.
Although probably not necessary, the latterly 'paragraphed' second draft of the posting does read easier, though.

Doesn't it?

[Just making a general gentle point]

Youngsters and people on the web can't spell anyway and don't care. [grump, grump]

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Grehan on Mon Jun 25 13:54:09 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>