Isle of Wight - ghettos 'within inches' of sailing clubs for the rich.

oldgit

Visit site
Would find it most useful if those issuing helpful suggestions regarding matters of education etc could perhaps indicate what they did regards their own offspring.

l'escargot

Visit site
Would find it most useful if those issuing helpful suggestions regarding matters of education etc could perhaps indicate what they did regards their own offspring.

On the few occasions SWMBO and I considered it appropriate to take our daughter out of school during term time we wrote to the school and advised them of the reason for the absence and that we anticipated that they would record it as an "authorised absence". We would then receive a form and a letter stating that we needed to fill in the form to apply for permission for the absence which we duly ignored. We never heard any more.

BelleSerene

Visit site
I see that the case just came before the Supreme Court - what we used to call the Law Lords. The IOW magistrates had acquitted the Dad, Jonathon Platt, of allowing his child to fail to attend school regularly. They'd done so because, although he had pulled her out of school to attend a 10-day holiday in term time, her attendance over the longer period of the school year was in the 'satisfactory' range of 90-95%. The magistrates allowed an appeal on the question of whether they had erred at law in considering the wider period in determining whether the girl's attendance had been 'regular'.

It went all the way to the Supreme Court. Well IOW taxpayers have to pay their taxes for something.

The Supreme Court just ruled that 'The magistrates did not err in law in taking into account attendance outside the offence dates 13 April to 24 April 2015 as particularised in the summons when determining the percentage attendance of the child.'

Ruling in the link on this page: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2016-0155.html

He's got a page on his company website here [ http://www.jmppartnership.com/school-fines-parents-must-decide/ ] but hasn't yet had time to update it following the favourable Supreme Court ruling.

Last edited:

jac

Visit site
I see that the case just came before the Supreme Court - what we used to call the Law Lords. The IOW magistrates had acquitted the Dad, Jonathon Platt, of allowing his child to fail to attend school regularly. They'd done so because, although he had pulled her out of school to attend a 10-day holiday in term time, her attendance over the longer period of the school year was in the 'satisfactory' range of 90-95%. The magistrates allowed an appeal on the question of whether they had erred at law in considering the wider period in determining whether the girl's attendance had been 'regular'.

It went all the way to the Supreme Court. Well IOW taxpayers have to pay their taxes for something.

The Supreme Court just ruled that 'The magistrates did not err in law in taking into account attendance outside the offence dates 13 April to 24 April 2015 as particularised in the summons when determining the percentage attendance of the child.'

Ruling in the link on this page: https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2016-0155.html

He's got a page on his company website here [ http://www.jmppartnership.com/school-fines-parents-must-decide/ ] but hasn't yet had time to update it following the favourable Supreme Court ruling.

I think this is a good call.

Schools are targeted on attendance and of course 100% attendance for a child is better than 90% but I think schools ( and any other organisation responding to a target) will simply target the parents doing things like taking kids out a couple of days early before a holiday rather than the real truants.

ANDY123

Visit site
There could be some advantages

7602129436_58e94d1537_z.jpg

I'd still come out sucking my thumb!

I was once in Millom in Cumbria, I was introduced to someones wife and daughter, but there was only one woman standing there!

Bobc

Visit site
Yep, as I thought, selfish as it's possible to be, and a total ignorance of how holiday economy areas work.

It's not a question of being able to afford holidays, it's the fact that is the family is working to keep their business going because their clientele are holidaymakers, then going away during that period isn't an option.

Or maybe their parents work in services needed to keep the influx of holidaymakers safe.

What children do and when they do it is the parents' responsibility, children are not the property of the state. With attitudes like yours, no wonder home schooling is growing.

I think Channelyacht makes a very valid point here.

In tourist/holiday destinations, a lot of adults HAVE to work during the Easter/Spring/Summer/Christmas holidays as it's when they make the majority of their money, which sees them through the low season. So the option of taking a holiday during the school holidays simply isn't there for them.

Maybe the government and local councils should be more aware of this and either alter terms times to suit, or be a little more flexible about it.

BelleSerene

Visit site

In tourist/holiday destinations, a lot of adults HAVE to work during the Easter/Spring/Summer/Christmas holidays as it's when they make the majority of their money, which sees them through the low season. So the option of taking a holiday during the school holidays simply isn't there for them.

Maybe the government and local councils should be more aware of this and either alter terms times to suit, or be a little more flexible about it.

Absolutely so. As it happened, the defendant Jon Platt runs a firm that does Payment Protection Insurance recovery claims, so he's not a part of the school-vacation economy. But he's still as entitled as anyone to make responsible decisions on behalf of his children. And of course many of his fellow island inhabitants (OK, I believe he lives on the mainland although both his offices are in the IOW) rely on the school-vacation economy.

Daydream believer

Visit site

Then they would have to move their work time to match the revised holiday period !!!!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Not if there holiday period was only a little bit out. SO main school summer holiday from say 1st July to Mid August. That gives the locals 3-4 weeks to go before the rest of the country kicks in at the end of July.

But when do older kids do exams?
When you want them to go on holiday i suspect
It all gets very messy & no one will be satisfied

JumbleDuck

Visit site

The Supreme Court has not issued its decision. That quote is from the High Court ruling on the council's appeal of the magistrates' decision. You'll see that the link is shown as "Judgment appealed"

BelleSerene

Visit site
The Supreme Court has not issued its decision. That quote is from the High Court ruling on the council's appeal of the magistrates' decision. You'll see that the link is shown as "Judgment appealed"

I'm sorry; you're right of course. I stand corrected! About time for them to make their decision; the case hit the Supreme Court at the end of January. I look forward to seeing it.

Apologies for my mistake

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm sorry; you're right of course. I stand corrected! About time for them to make their decision; the case hit the Supreme Court at the end of January. I look forward to seeing it.

Apologies for my mistake

No apology needed. I look forward to seeing it as well, and I investigated because I would have expected to see a decision all over the Education Guardian.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Looks like the Supreme Court has unanimously ruled that UK parents can indeed be prosecuted for taking their children out of school during term time.

English parents. As far as I can see, the ruling only applies to England but in any case the system is different up here in Scotland, where head teachers can still exercise their discretion.

dom

Visit site
English parents. As far as I can see, the ruling only applies to England but in any case the system is different up here in Scotland, where head teachers can still exercise their discretion.

Yes, well spotted. As I understand it English head teachers can also exercise their discretion, but that parents cannot take a unilateral decision. Mind you a £60 fine to save say £600+ on a holiday has got to be a bargain! .

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes, well spotted. As I understand it English head teachers can also exercise their discretion, but that parents cannot take a unilateral decision. Mind you a £60 fine to save say £600+ on a holiday has got to be a bargain! .

As I understand it - from over the border - English HTs can still give permission but the DfE through Ofsted is leaning on them very heavily indeed not to do so. The fixed penalty is sixty quid per parent per session, so potentially £240 per day.