Isle of Bute, which route?

Quandary

Visit site
Some advice from you Clyde based sailors.
Looks like I may have to take the boat down to Largs From Ardrishaig at the beginning of next week, the wind looks like being light SSW and in the morning the tide will be rising, so a bit of assist in the West Kyle. In the past, (2007 was the last time), when I have done this on my own I have always gone through the Kyles, coming back with usually a following wind I tended to use the West side by Inchmarnock.
It looks as if there is not much to choose in distance? and tide might be the main factor, its a solo delivery and I will probably be doing it early on a cool morning so which is the quickest way to go?

Bodach na mara

Visit site
The shortest distance is via Garroch Head, but it can be a bit lumpy. Being bored the last time we did the trip from Tarbert to Largs Yacht Haven in a flat calm we took the scenic route via the Kyles. We got very little tide assistance in the west kyle but we were down half a knot all the way from Rhu Bodach to LYH. Took 4 hours 40 minutes as against 4 hours motoring in similar conditions.

Another time this year we got a rare WSW force 2 to have a pleasant sail. Well pleasant to near Garroch head at least, where the wind fell to nothing but the sea was very confused and lumpy with swells coming from the Kilbrannon sound and up from Holy Isle. That is not the first time that has happened. The wind came back fr SW after a couple of miles and the sea was calmer again!

dunedin

Visit site
Definitely shorter southways round Bute - but if breezy from the south going round the Kyles can be smoother. I generally decide on the day based upon how I feel / how it looks as I near the entrance to the Kyles. Certainly in solo delivery mode done round the South more than through the Kyles, which have tended to do for the scenic trips.
Tide rarely much of a factor time wise as relatively weak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

Different take on this. I assume the boat delivery is a one way trip. Then chose the rout that has least risks of damaging the boat. In all cases of reasonable weather that has to be round Garroch Head, leaving Inchmarnock to port. The list of boats being damaged in the Kyles is long and all of them did not plan on running aground.

Quandary

Visit site
Thanks folks, I will make up my mind as I go South, it hopefully is a one way trip, she is going to get lifted for a surveyor to scrape the bottom and if she sells she could be staying there. If that happens the withdrawal symptoms will be fierce but I will keep coming here as somewhere to exercise my increasing grumpiness.

My Canal assistance business will be continuing if you need help, proceeds now all go to Marys Meals.

awol

Visit site
Different take on this. I assume the boat delivery is a one way trip. Then chose the rout that has least risks of damaging the boat. In all cases of reasonable weather that has to be round Garroch Head, leaving Inchmarnock to port. The list of boats being damaged in the Kyles is long and all of them did not plan on running aground.
Och, it's a dreadful place - Wreck Bay, Beere, Wood Farm and Dougal's Rocks, and the shoals off Buttock Point all lurking to catch the unwary. Quandary, the beginning of next week has passed and the rainy season has returned. Best be safe and leave it until next year!

dunedin

Visit site
Mmmmm. A tiny bit of navigation in the Kyles makes them very easy. Certainly not in the top 100 of tricky Scottish rock passages. The main gap is wide enough to fit Waverley’s paddle boxes.

PS. My son claims to have been through the Kyles on a very large Swan yacht - towing a 40 foot very deep keeled race yacht on a rope astern, en route to and from Scottish Series.

Stooriefit

Visit site
It all depends if you want a sail or motor sail. I've often gone through the Kyles being headed in the East and then the West and vice versa. I prefer the open water round Bute unless there is no wind in which case a scenic motor through the Kyles is great.

Quandary

Visit site
Och, it's a dreadful place - Wreck Bay, Beere, Wood Farm and Dougal's Rocks, and the shoals off Buttock Point all lurking to catch the unwary. Quandary, the beginning of next week has passed and the rainy season has returned. Best be safe and leave it until next year!

Encouraged by your customary extreme optimism, I am just going to be brave and go for it.
Noticed this year that your ongoing campaign to encourage yachts from down south may be working too well?

awol

Visit site
I believe west coast fibreglass repairers have been doing roaring business with keel dings this year. It's not just our follically challenged correspondent who has found his eponymous rock in the Cuan Sound. It's an ill wind .......

Ink

Visit site
Depends on the wind. If there's none, scenically through the Kyles will keep your interest, binoculars at the ready, through Garroch Head is a bit of a bore.

Chances are any wind there is, is going to be on the nose so you'll maybe sail for a while but as its a Moody you'll soon reach for the ignition key I'm reliably told.

Through the Kyles with any wind direction your burgee (you have one don't you?) will be spinning in circles anyway.

Pleasant choice in my mind.....

Ink

Quandary

Visit site
So I did it today in 5 hours and ten minutes( not counting the time spent trying to identify her berth) motoring all the way against a spring tide which never amounted to much more than 1/2 knot. Sails up and down like a hoors drawers but the wind never got above ten knot but contrived to change direction every time I thought I was getting a bit of drive. Tedious passage particularly rounding Garroch head across a lumpy swell rolling up the channel at 90 degrees to my course.. Trip showed 31-7.
So the answer to my own question is that anti clockwise is shorter but the Kyles are less boring.