Isit or isn't it..a Classic?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Hydragas? Surely Citroen were there long before. Hydrolastic was (to my mind) a better solution as it didn't suffer the awful floaty ride that the Allegro had.
But I will concede that the Quartic steering wheel was an innovation. Where would we be now without that? :eek:

allegro_04.jpg

Fully independent ??? Not with a transverse spring as the top link. ;)

resized_tilt_herald.jpg

OK any DS really and the Traction Avant.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Hydragas? Surely Citroen were there long before. Hydrolastic was (to my mind) a better solution as it didn't suffer the awful floaty ride that the Allegro had.

Ooh, we're getting a bit off-topic, but what the heck. If you hate the floaty ride of hydragas you'd really hate the DS, which has been described to me by my other half as "that wallowing great waterbed".

Fully independent ??? Not with a transverse spring as the top link. ;)

On the Herald and earlier Spitifires the spring is firmly clamped to the top of the diff, so yes, the suspension is fully independent. The awkwardness comes because of the simplistic suspension geometry and the use of the driveshaft as one of the swing links.

On the Spitfire IV they introduced a "swing spring" in which most of the leaves are free to pivot, with a few clamped to provide inti-roll springing at the back. That improves the handlinga great deal by making the suspension non-independent.

That said, I have always found the Herald to have quite predictable and manageable oversteer. The Vitesse is non nearly as nice - that engine is just too heavy. Great for straight lines, but a reasonable well looked after Herald will leave a Vitesse (pre rotaflex) for dead on twisty roads. Been there, done that.

OK any DS really and the Traction Avant.

Come and have a trip on Jumblie sometime - I'll throw in a bash around in the DS for free! Take yer Stugeron first ...

hannahman

Visit site
Spooky Doug! I crossed the USA in my '66 Mini "woody" traveller via Route 66 on honeymoon! Then bought a Hillyard to cross the channel, but never quite made it!
Oh Classic?! Definitely in the eye of the beholder (or owner!) and certainly not just an age thing.

Ah you share my good taste, Ergonmist!

It was my mum's '66 woody countryman (bought new by her) that started my love affair off with them!