Isit or isn't it..a Classic?

DownWest

Visit site
SK, well put.

I learnt to drive on a Farina A40 (technically, as I could drive well before and had rebuilt my BIL's '35 MG PA before I was allowed on the road, used to drive it around Rye House track) But my brother's minivan was streets ahead of the A40. Course, neither had syncro on first. Might this be a critera for classic status? Prob. not thinking of others. Duff brakes seemed to be a feature of just about all the cars I drove, so might be another criteria, esp the cable ones on the PA. The only brakes that worked on Minis were the Cooper S discs

As for boats, FG copies of classics sound as if they should be out, but then there are Twisters..
So, a FG Stella should be in with a chance.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Just because your pride and joy is old and has survived 3 or 4 decades does not make it a classic, no matter whether it is a boat, a car or a motorcycle.

Sez who?

The usage in the classic car world is pretty well established - if it's 25 years or more old then it's a classic. Sure, that sticks in the craw of some of us with 1969 Heralds, but we know that the 1954 Bristol boys don't think our cars are classic and the 1929 Bentley boys don't think much of the Bristol.

BlueLancer

N Yorkshire, Gods Country even when its raining
Visit site
Totally different.
The early A40 Somerset and Devons were old-school chassis and body saloons with no dynamic qualities to speak of.
The A40 Farina was a monocoque with A35 underpinnings.

Sorry about the fred drift

A40+Farina+racer.jpg

All very well but do they float:D:D

halcyon

Visit site
Sez who?

The usage in the classic car world is pretty well established - if it's 25 years or more old then it's a classic. Sure, that sticks in the craw of some of us with 1969 Heralds, but we know that the 1954 Bristol boys don't think our cars are classic and the 1929 Bentley boys don't think much of the Bristol.

The old man used to say, when he started his motor trade apprenticeship in the early 1930's he could buy a Bullnose Morris, Vauxhall Prince Henry for 10 bob ( 50 p now ). But no body did, because who wanted an old obsolete car, but if had bought a few come the 1970's he would have been very rich.

Times have not changed.

The old man had a Herald for the weekend, a couple of months before the cars launch, big browny points when he droped me of at school on the monday.

Still go back to a classic is not age, not material, it just looks a classic.

Brian

Shuggy

Visit site
Wouldn't it just be easier if anyone wanting to know if their boat was a 'classic' simply posted a photo or two of it & added a poll for yes/no regarding classic status? As it's so subjective you would at least get an indication - and the one or two Allegro-admiring stochastic data points would then be weeded out as just that!

The forum could probably also do a good job on boat valuations. You know - "I want to sell my boat but no-one's biting". Go on - ask us for our opinions! Maybe we could have a separate forum, 'Value My Boat for a Realistic Sale'.

halcyon

Visit site
In whose eyes? 'Cos I can easily find you people who will say that an Allegro looks like a classic to them.

But I go back to in 1930 A Vauxhall Prince Henry was just a clapped out old car, as an Allegro is to-day.

Many wooden boats are just clapped out old Allegro's, except in the eye of there owners.

I was buying a SCOD, till it had a bad survey, then I saw the Halcyon 27 and fell in love with it's lines, fibre glass did not come into. I can still stand and look at her lines and find something magical, just as I can stand by some wooden boats and have the same feeling.

It can only ever be a personal view.

Brian

Lakesailor

Visit site
But I go back to in 1930 A Vauxhall Prince Henry was just a clapped out old car, as an Allegro is to-day.
You are comparing gold with brass.
In it's day the Prince Henry was a top sports car.
In it's day the Allegro was an ............erm..........Allegro.

The condition they are in when offered for sale has no relationship to their classic pedigree.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
You are comparing gold with brass.
In it's day the Prince Henry was a top sports car.
In it's day the Allegro was an ............erm..........Allegro.

The condition they are in when offered for sale has no relationship to their classic pedigree.

Only in your opinion. Is a Morris Minor a classic? A Triumph Herald? Or what about the most famous cheap (yes, really) and cheerful sports car of them all - would you say that the Jaguar E-Type isn't a classic because it cost about half as much as the competition?

Lakesailor

Visit site
What has the cost of a car got to do with it's pedigree?
Of course the E type is a classic.
The Morris Minor has qualities to do with it's innovative design which lend it classic status but the Triumph Herald was a step back in time to a chassis and swing axle suspension. (sorry) I suppose it being a convertible makes it a fun older car to own.

....and yes A DS21 is a classic :D

Last edited:
Visit site
I had a GRP Kestrel about 20 years ago,not a bad little sailer sleep 4 at a push,
I still have one of the bilge keels out my back garden,under the patio i think.
Dont know about the classic thing.

Ergonomist

Visit site
Someone mention Minis?

I have a '67 Mk1 'woody' Traveller.:)
I must give its wood a coat of varnish, come to think of it. Problem is I seem to spend so much time lavishing my Hillyard with plenty of attention from the varnish brush, that the poor old Mini always gets put on 'get around to it some day' list!

:sorry also for the thread drift!:

Doug

Spooky Doug! I crossed the USA in my '66 Mini "woody" traveller via Route 66 on honeymoon! Then bought a Hillyard to cross the channel, but never quite made it!
Oh Classic?! Definitely in the eye of the beholder (or owner!) and certainly not just an age thing.

DownWest

Visit site
Lakesailor;The Morris Minor has qualities to do with it's innovative design which lend it classic status but the Triumph Herald was a step back in time to a chassis and swing axle suspension. (sorry) I suppose it being a convertible makes it a fun older car to own. ....and yes A DS21 is a classic :D[/QUOTE said:
The Morris Minor was far ahead of the opposition.First car designed to be nose heavy and understear. I drove a a traveller a few years ago and was delighted with it's light steering and easy handling (why do little cars need power steering now?) The Herald was rubbish, BUT, nobody drives them fast enough to find out about their swing axle limitations.I had fun on a round about alternating the under/oversteer that the system produces. A girlfriend bought her Spitfire in after bouncing it between banks. No warning till it goes. Convertible, OK nice, treat it carefully. Just don't push it
. was in a hurry in the 70s, the GT6 was fast , but the chassis had a curious twisting motion in the fast corners. My Ginetta was on a different planet.

Any D series Citroen is a classic.

Lakesailor

Visit site
the GT6 was fast , but the chassis had a curious twisting motion in the fast corners.
As did the Triumph 2000 and 2.5PI. Watch them from behind and they were worrying.
All had basically the same rear suspension. Something amiss in the roll and squat geometry and too many rubber bushes.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
What has the cost of a car got to do with it's pedigree?

Why else did you exclude the Allegro? It was the first gas with Hydragas suspension - that was pretty innovative.

Of course the E type is a classic.

You say. Actually, I agree, but it's a wholly subjective decision.

The Morris Minor has qualities to do with it's innovative design which lend it classic status but the Triumph Herald was a step back in time to a chassis and swing axle suspension.

We prefer to say "full independent suspension", old boy.

....and yes A DS21 is a classic :D

I prefer the DS23!

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
As did the Triumph 2000 and 2.5PI. Watch them from behind and they were worrying.
All had basically the same rear suspension. Something amiss in the roll and squat geometry and too many rubber bushes.

The later GT6 like the later Vitesse had swing arm rear suspension with the rotaflex drive to improve things over the Herald / Spitfire. The 2000s were completely different, with semi-trailing arms - very innovative for their day.