Is there any particular reason why we are not talking about Tony Curphey?

Neeves

Visit site
I think the Lady might be suggesting 74 years olds completing the same excursion - do it all the time. (?!) Maybe like climbing Mount Everest - it quite 'easy' now?

I do stand to be corrected of my interpretation.

I'm with you, Minn, extraordinary (even for someone much younger).

It is the sort of achievement many might have tucked in the back of their minds (but never realise). I confess to lacking the stamina, perseverance and ambition. As I approach maturity I sadly value too many creature comforts, like a wife, to embark on such ventures - but I can admire those with the persistence.

Jonathan

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
His wife was doing the same thing in her boat...

What strikes me is that the Nic 32 is a smaller and older boat than the boats favoured by the Golden Globe competitors, but he seems to have calmly gone once round the block at the same sort of time with not much more than a broken boom (repaired)...

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Sorry, could you point me to the thread?
Here
Here
Here OK, He wasn't 'old' but In 2009/2010 Alessandro Di Benedetto toured the world with the smallest boat, 6.50 meters, on the route of the Vendée Globe (the Everest of sailing), alone, without a stop, without assistance and for the three great Chiefs (Good Hope, Leeuwin, Horn). Alessandro sailed for almost 9 months and over 28,000 miles in complete autonomy (with complete self-sufficiency, including energy and food. For fresh water, Alessandro used a desalinator powered by renewable energy sources), without an engine on board, without diesel or other fuel for charging the batteries. A "zero impact" tour of the world that has seen the use of only renewable energy sources (with the help of photovoltaic panels, hydrogenerators and wind generators) for charging the on-board batteries.

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I wasn't claiming that he had set some sort of record; all I wrote was:

Maybe there is a thread that I have missed, in which case - sorry.

A 74 year old completing a non stop circumnavigation by the southern route in a Nicholson 32 seems worthy of some comment at least.

https://my.yb.tl/nicoladeux

I just think that given the demolition derby that was the GGR, in bigger, newer, boats, and the misadventures of the admirable Jean Socrates, in a bigger, newer, boat, he has done rather well, and it would be nice to know what he did..

Seven Spades

Visit site
Maybe there is a thread that I have missed, in which case - sorry.

A 74 year old completing a non stop circumnavigation by the southern route in a Nicholson 32 seems worthy of some comment at least.

https://my.yb.tl/nicoladeux

Probably because until you posted this I for one, and I am sure I am not alone, was not aware of this mans existence nor what he is doing.

Reactions: srm

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Who?

Personally if I do anything like that I really, really do not want the full blase of publicity on me. Depart Falmouth, arrive Falmouth some time later with the boat in need of a clean and me looking for the barbers for a haircut and a shave.

I just think that given the demolition derby that was the GGR, in bigger, newer, boats, and the misadventures of the admirable Jean Socrates, in a bigger, newer, boat, he has done rather well, and it would be nice to know what he did..
But that was in the full blase of publicity and a race.

zoidberg

Visit site
I had opportunity today to chat with Tony Curphey, not long after a similar chat with Susie Goodall. She was doing a Q&A session to just a handful of 'rubberneckers' like me, on the Marlow Ropes stand, while Tony C. was in his Nic 32 stern-on to one of the pontoons. They're both very pleasant and approachable, and modestly keen to share their accumulated experience. In fact, Tony C. is booked to do a daily presentation on John Good's 'Foredeck Stage' near the south entrance - as are Stokey Woodhall, Max Liberson and other true notables.

I try to learn a little from each of such encounters. Whether I'll be able to utilise any of such 'consultancy' is a different question.....

scotty123

Visit site
I think the Lady might be suggesting 74 years olds completing the same excursion - do it all the time. (?!) Maybe like climbing Mount Everest - it quite 'easy' now?

I do stand to be corrected of my interpretation.

I'm with you, Minn, extraordinary (even for someone much younger).

It is the sort of achievement many might have tucked in the back of their minds (but never realise). I confess to lacking the stamina, perseverance and ambition. As I approach maturity I sadly value too many creature comforts, like a wife, to embark on such ventures - but I can admire those with the persistence.

Jonathan

Your wife is a "creature"?:eek:
Pray expand on that. ;)

dom

Visit site
Never heard of Tony Curphey?

He's totally mad, super competent, and as resourceful as you like. ;)

Great story for any yachting mag!