Is the Hallberg Rassy 36 the best built, best deigned world cruiser you can buy a recent (used) example of for less than £100K?

G

Is the Hallberg Rassy 36 the best built, best deigned world cruiser you can buy a recent (used) example of for less than £100K?

Massive chart table, heaps of storage, sensible lines, perfect galley, decent keel, great displacement for load carrying, etc. and beautiful to boot. Should this be my long term goal?

I'd certainly like to see YM produce a samll series on boats of 40' and under for world cruising - but especially if they kept to a budget of, say £100K for boats structurally and mechanically "ready to go".

While not of mass readership appeal, as most of us just potter around Britain and our nearest neighbours, we must be overdue for some good dreaming material - if only to scare our partners!

G

Re: Is the Hallberg Rassy ..YM series

Maybe this sort of series would have mass appeal - I think a lot of us dream about it and quite a lot hope to do it one day. A few of us really will one day.

G

Re: Is the Hallberg Rassy 36 the best built, best deigned world cruiser you can buy a recent (used) example of for less than £100K?

Very popular with blue water cruising couples, but nearly all of them have customised a bit. There is no best boat or we would all be sailing it.

G

No

It's just one of many soundly built boats which are reasonably safe and comfortable offshore

G

The HR 36 is a great boat but

there are a lot of good long distance cruisers around which are equally capable. There is a lot of personal taste involved as well. Some people want more performance, some more space. I would be inclined to go for an older, bigger boat with a bit more performance, for example.

The idea of an article on the subject is a good one.

G

Re: The HR 36 is a great boat but

When can we read the article? Could you be more specific on the boats that you would suggest James? I'd imagine that personal selection depends very much on your individual cruising style. Nevertheless factors such as safety, living space, manageability for a couple, rapairability (maybe that's an HR drawback?), cruising/weather track record, structural integrity (builder and material track record)and resaleability are all fairly significant features for the longterm cruiser. What may be nice today might be a nightmare a couple of years later when you're miles away from......

It also seems that the Scandinavians have the market well under control. Is that a fact or merely a good management ploy?

You must admit that names such as Westerley and ? seem second division when compared to Hallberg-Rassey, Najad, Malo, Nauticat etc

Apart from being a good story I would suggest that there's an opportunity to demonstrate the technical and track record facts as a challenge to the Scandinavian marketing skills. Thereagain maybe they are the leaders in the field?

So what are the competitors to the Scandinavians in the 36 ft cruising world? (plus or minus a foot or two)

G

Re: Hallberg Rassy 36. one of my favorites against the odds.

HR36's are not my sort of boat. In fact up until sailing one I was rather sniffy about these heavy and expensive boats. So what won me round?

The 36 is a very easy, and comfortable, boat to operate, controls fall to hand and loads are light. OK you have to go forward to reef but the boat offers a pretty solid platform and the jobs easy when you get there. As most bluewater aspirants are couples over 45 I think this lightness of workload is important, as is the confidence that the boat inspires. It's easy to loose some of this ease of operation on older larger boats.

Passage times are comparable to other boats of this size.

Storage is good and more important the boat carries load well.

The compromise is the lack of headroom in the aft cabin and they need a longkeelers respect in the marina.

For a couple heading off for a year or two you could do a lot worse.

Tom

G

With regards to an article ...

We all hear and read of the sharp fin keel Med / Coastal Cruiser type but so rarely is there any discussion about the heavier, slower full keel models which are so popular with the World cruising fraternity. I find this is far more so in the UK than the USA where there seemed to be a much wider choice of such boats.

I don't have any experience of the HR 36 other than having climbed all over a couple which were suitably equiped and been most impressed.

Rather than focus on new boats with £250,000 price tags (or higher), to understand what's out there in terms of 1990 or newer, with a "reasonable" price tag, say from £75K - £125K would probably bring to light more than just the standard Rival / HR selection. I suggest the size range of such an article would be good if limited to LOA of from 36 - 40' - any bigger cannot reasonably be managed by a couple (some rare exceptions, I'm sure).

Emphasis given to the functionality of the chart table and chart stowage would seem to take precedence over the number of heads. Ample bow rollers and ground tackle stowage etc., would be more important than hearing about cockpit tables and swim ladders ...

G

Yes

its top of my list for 2nd hand world cruisers. I think £100K is perfect to get a ready to go 10 year old or less. I'd excepect watermakers, radar, navtex, generators, storm gear, etc for that price.

Other have said its "one of many" but the big appeal for me is that there are many around so you'd have no problem getting parts/service/help worldwide.

If I had £300K, I'd go for a brand new Rustler 42 kitted out but thats lottery money.

Go for the HR36 (but look at Najads). Great boat.

G

HR35 (also see message below)?

Could any kind soul advise me - seen an HR35, which looks fine for my purposes @£40000. Cant afford up to £100000/HR36. But are there any MAJOR differences, difficulties, problems between the 2 (money and size apart) which would rule out the HR35? Help please - and thanks.

G

Re: Is the Hallberg Rassy 36 the best built, best deigned world cruiser you can buy a recent (used) example of for less than £100K?

>Massive chart table, heaps of storage, sensible lines, perfect galley, decent keel, great displacement for load carrying, etc. and beautiful to boot.<

Got all that and more on my Vertue,, 25ft and second hand price £10K on up. A good small boat is better value.

Ian.

G

No. It\'s...

too small to look right with a centre cockpit. The crew are consequently too high up and exposed as compared to an aft cockpit boat of similar length and disp. Cockpit is so close to the mast though that you pull down the reefing lines at the mast without leaving the aforementioned cockpit. An advantage?? Main boom is therefore high above the water, raising the centre of effort of the sail and again when reefed, compared to an aft cockpit 36ft, rig is very high. But is is beautifully finished and has a lovely bedroom down at the blunt end if that's the sort of thing you like. Oh yes, because the cockpit is so far forward you can get a lovely free shower from any water that comes over the bow.

G

Re: No. It\'s...

Sounds like someone who has read lots of "road tests" but not actually got any experience of one

G

HR36 is certainly one of the top cruisers to match the criteria,no doubt about that.Of course there are some great Dutch built cruisers such as second hand Contest 38.

G

Re: No. It\'s...

No You are wrong there in your supposition.