Is it normal practice..

ianainge

Visit site
while sailing, that if you cock up your tack cause of lack of concentration ,rather than reset the sails and try again , you start your engine and bring the boat back around ? or is that just a sign of poor sailing and seamanship. over to you ZEFENDER.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Its usually the sign of a poor sailing boat, normally you can just back the jib. What kind of boat was it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ianainge

Visit site
Bavaria 40 Jimi, i was out with Zefender yesterday so i thought id take the piss this morning, im sure he could of done as you suggested but i think he was in lazy mode .

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
Re: mea culpa

Yes it's true of course. Take me to the gallows...

Ian has a long held desire, in common with most of his stinkie pals, to try out some real boating on a sailery boat. Perhaps it was the drugs, maybe just pity, but I agreed, for a second time, to take him and the delightful-yet-minimalist Sally for Sailing Lesson Number Two.

We tacked our way out of Sarfamton wa'er with Ian on the helm. He was actually doing rather well at this, damn him.

We decided after a while to anchor off and halve some lunch by Lee-On-Solent. Concerned that depth fell away rather quickly thereabouts, I was on the helm and Ian manned the winch. We tacked just before it got a bit too shallow for comfort and Ian pulled manfully on the winch. So far so good. Unfortunately, I didn't explain that "the bit of rope needs to go in between the black teeth at the top of the winch" to stop the sheet from flying out again. As I was pointing and explaining, my eyes left the bows and drifted towards Ian and his appalling intellectual struggle. At this moment, I realised that we were heading into irons. Now I could have just whizzed back onto the original tack, backing the genoa but faced with the shallows and the near certainty that Ian would fail to grasp the idea on a second attempt, I chickened out and let the iron sail do its stuff.

I could of course claim that I was merely spontaneously re-charging the batteries and was in neutral at the time of the offence, but Ian would be unlikely to understand this!

But it's nice to know that Ian has learned enough already to spot the many sailing errors I will be deliberately laying before him in this and future lessons.

On a return event, when I go stinkie, I will of course be looking very carefully and Ian's every move..!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ianainge

Visit site

< Near certainity that Ian would fail to grasp the idea on a second attempt>

well thats nice, thanks Eamonn, perhaps i should now mention your inability to moor along side a pontoon in a slight ebbing tide and mear breeze conditions.

<hr width=100% size=1>

themount2

Visit site
Classic case of only half the story I fancy.
I am sure you are very good friends but is it normal practice to take the piss out of someone who is trying to convert you from your belief in the Devil to a belief in God. It is all for the good of your soul, believe me!!!
Only joking, don't you lot get excited, IMHO etc, etc, I am not part of the "burn all stinkies at the stake brigade" each to his own and all that.
BUT just ask yourself what do I prefer? A fresh, silent, healthy breeze and the gentle slap of the water on hull OR a chilly apparent gale, smellie exhaust and the roar of zillions of horses battling for dominance over the pounding against each wave drowning out all the peace and serenity. Whatever you do on the water - enjoy it. That's what's most important!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site

Please address all future correspondence to Trethowans solctrs, Southampton, marked 'defamation'
:)

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site

Oh no, Sally gamely took the helm too. Minimalist was a reference to her modest stature, given that the top of the wheel neatly masked her view ahead. Maybe I'll bring down some library steps next time!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ianainge

Visit site

I shall inform Sally of your references to her Height and that you intend to bring her some form of altitude enhancer next time we meet Eamonn ,and will relish the look on your face of contorted pain when she confonts you about your remarks. I will however be glossing up the story to her .

<hr width=100% size=1>