Is it necessary......

lpdsn

Visit site
Similarly being told in am angry voice the other night that we would be luffed up if we didn't do something or other?? Why not just suggest politely what to do and why??!!

Really learn the RRS. There are a few competing good books out there, not to mention on-line resources. You put yourself at a disadvantge if you don't know them better than the opposition. No point getting angry about being luffed. If he's within his rights handle it smartly and take pride in that. If not, keep clear and protest him.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Requesting information from the committee boat may be construed as an infringement of RRS 41, it certainly is proscribed by my club's General Sailing instructions. And being warned rather than just luffed sounds like you were being given leniency.

Just like any other sport you need to read and understand the rules - there are books, websites, Youtube videos to help you - not just for your sake but for the all the others participating. Have a chat with your club's Sailing Secretary about rules seminars, mentoring, "L" plates - it is in his and the club's interest to encourage you and other newbies.

The RRS only apply from the prep signal until the boat has finished & cleared the line (except part 2 - the "when boats meet" section, which applies from "The rules of Part 2 apply between boats that are sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing, or have been racing. "

Nothing to stop an RC from telling competitors where they are before the prep. IHMO, not telling competitors where you are isn't giving best service to competitors and is frankly all a bit jobsworth.

And for a starting point for the RRS, there's this: http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/product.aspx?pid=yr7(RYADefaultCatalog)

51b-afSZ3xL._SY351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Should keep you out of trouble. But yes, also IMHO, there's no need to shout at other boats (wind permitting). A simple "Luffing"/"Keep clear, please"...."Room please"...."Room to tack, please" is fine, as circumstances require. (Only the last of these is required, and must be answered one way or the other.

Last edited:

roblpm

Visit site
Go to 'game finckh.net '(Regelspiel Uli Finckh) you can have fun learning the rules on your laptop or tablet at idle moments, three levels of expertise to choose from.
Expecting competitors or organisers of sport to give special privileges to those who do not know what they are doing is unusual in any competitive situation.

Im not sure about that. I have just started orienteering again, and competed at the Scottish 6 days which is a major international competition. 5000 competitors. I wasn't shouted at or patronised when asking to clarify rules. Or just told to read the rule book.

I understand the safety angle. That goes without saying. But encouraging newcomers should be a big part of any competitive sport?

awol

Visit site
But encouraging newcomers should be a big part of any competitive sport?

And to give PEYC their due they do try to welcome newcomers and ensure they get onto boats to go racing via their "mix and match" scheme. It sounds like you would gain greatly from taking a PE regular on board to join the dots and possibly help with some local (mostly tidal) knowledge. The Autumn series starts on Sunday but quite a few boats will be coming out the water - why not ask Ian Hards to introduce you to an experienced spare skipper or PM me (if you are desperate!)

roblpm

Visit site
And to give PEYC their due they do try to welcome newcomers and ensure they get onto boats to go racing via their "mix and match" scheme. It sounds like you would gain greatly from taking a PE regular on board to join the dots and possibly help with some local (mostly tidal) knowledge. The Autumn series starts on Sunday but quite a few boats will be coming out the water - why not ask Ian Hards to introduce you to an experienced spare skipper or PM me (if you are desperate!)

I am only moaning! We have done 30 races and apart from sailing slowly we have no issues with the rules, crashing or anything else!

My original post was just a minor moan about people being snotty! No more! Most people are extremely friendly and supportive. Just a few who aren't!!

Judders

Visit site
I'm surprised by this thread. The alleged hooray Henry's in the Solent frequently give the location of the committee boat and answer questions where they can.

flaming

Visit site
I'm surprised by this thread. The alleged hooray Henry's in the Solent frequently give the location of the committee boat and answer questions where they can.

Me too. Sometimes the reply is prefaced with "Reading the SI's they say..." but generally a competitor requesting information on the location of the startline would be helped. The only thing I've heard them sometimes deny is a request for the identity of OCS boats.

Fleets are dwindling everywhere. Any new competitor coming out to play should be welcomed with open arms, and led by the hand until they've got the hang of it if necessary.

crewman

Visit site
As AWOL said PEYC do try to encourage new entrants. They do run rules sessions in the winter and run training sessions in 707's. They also run white sails classes at the regatta and give a handicap adjustment for those not using spinnakers in club races. Usually the start line is off the committee boat, but recently this is out of commission and the pier start is being used. I agree the transit is not always easy to see, but it is much easier than some. Island SC in Cowes is much harder IMO.

roblpm

Visit site
I slightly regret starting this thread now!! Peyc is a brilliant club and does loads to encourage people. The thread was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek and pointing out things that are very slightly irritating.

Can someone start some more racing threads so this drops off the top......!!

Birdseye

Visit site
For the committee boat when asked a question on vhf like "where is the starting line" to always say "as stated in the sailing instructions........". As a newbie it is very off putting. Its not the Olympics, its a Wednesday night race round the cans!! Surely newbies should be encouraged!!

Similarly being told in am angry voice the other night that we would be luffed up if we didn't do something or other?? Why not just suggest politely what to do and why??!!

Its not sraightforward this one. With us, the OOD gives the course over the radio once the boats are within 15 mins of the start. We give the course twice but after that if you havent got yourself organised then hard luck. And it another boat hails and asks a fellow competitor to repeat the course, do you give it or do you hope they take a wrong turn and help you up the results? Aggressive tone - well thats just an individual.

You should be able to see the starting line - the key is the OOD boat

roblpm

Visit site
Its not sraightforward this one. With us, the OOD gives the course over the radio once the boats are within 15 mins of the start. We give the course twice but after that if you havent got yourself organised then hard luck. And it another boat hails and asks a fellow competitor to repeat the course, do you give it or do you hope they take a wrong turn and help you up the results? Aggressive tone - well thats just an individual.

You should be able to see the starting line - the key is the OOD boat

It was a transit and the confusion was whether the buouy was the end of the line or marking the outer distance.

roblpm

Visit site
.... and so you should! After 30 races in the place you should really have got round to reading the SIs and RSS by now and you must have worked out who are the humour-bypass skippers.

I have read both thanks. You seem to have a humour bypass too! Puts me off posting in here too.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have read both thanks. You seem to have a humour bypass too! Puts me off posting in here too.

With all due respects Awol did have a point.
30 races & still getting confused by simple race rules is a bit of a no no
As for tongue in cheek - have you considered that the bloke yelling at you re luffing rights was doing the same thing
There is always a lot of " bar room punditry" in those races & to an extent that can add to the fun.
I can recall when I first started racing cruisers & when a skipper shouted "retire,retire" we did thinking we were in the wrong
Once I got to know the score I soon learned what was afoot & began to play the game myself just as hard.

You need to toughen up. It is clear you were mollycoddled at school:encouragement::encouragement:

Fantasie 19

Visit site
With all due respects Awol did have a point.
30 races & still getting confused by simple race rules is a bit of a no no
As for tongue in cheek - have you considered that the bloke yelling at you re luffing rights was doing the same thing
There is always a lot of " bar room punditry" in those races & to an extent that can add to the fun.
I can recall when I first started racing cruisers & when a skipper shouted "retire,retire" we did thinking we were in the wrong
Once I got to know the score I soon learned what was afoot & began to play the game myself just as hard.

You need to toughen up. It is clear you were mollycoddled at school:encouragement::encouragement:

..and they wonder why more people don't fancy racing any more.... :rolleyes:

Daydream believer

Visit site
..and they wonder why more people don't fancy racing any more.... :rolleyes:

Yacht Racing is competition. It is not a cruise.
If one wants to cruise in company then go on an organised event, but do not moan at racers for wanting to stick to the rules & beat the opponent.
It is the same in all sports. First you enter to learn then you enter to get better then you are out to win
If you are not out to win then fair enough someone else will take the cup instead
That is just a fact of life