Is it necessary to buff up old copper Coat?

Oily Rag

Visit site
The Coppercoat is old and I was advised to give it a buff up at the start of each season with the boat in the yard. It seems to work well, with only a slippery green slime growing by the end of the season.

Any thoughts as to whether it's necessary to buff up? (I have considered a bit of science and only buffing one side!)

Many thanks.

geem

Visit site
If it wasn't working I would say buff it up. We clean ours every month with scotch pads. Warm water and a hookah so it's not a problem. Ours has done 5 years in the Caribbean and has lost its effectiveness. Next time we are out we will sand it to reactivate. We have lots of coppercoat on thr hull so it will take a good sand. It comes up like newly applied coppercoat

MoodySabre

Visit site
I never abrade mine. A good jet wash when it comes out, or often just a summer scrub. Tenth season this year and looks and works fine. I have sometimes used a Brizo to clear some slime off but not every year.

ash2020

Visit site
The Coppercoat is old and I was advised to give it a buff up at the start of each season with the boat in the yard. It seems to work well, with only a slippery green slime growing by the end of the season.

Any thoughts as to whether it's necessary to buff up? (I have considered a bit of science and only buffing one side!)

Many thanks.
Surely that'll make you go round in circles! :D

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It is not copper that provides antifouling properties, it is the green coloured copper oxy-chloride. This takes some time to be generated. Abrading frequently removes the antifouling product and starts the whole process off again.
We clean ours before racing with a brush and a sponge. It’s quite enough to remove any slime. It’s taken 18 months to get that green patina, it’d be a shame to rub it all off.

geem

Visit site
We clean ours before racing with a brush and a sponge. It’s quite enough to remove any slime. It’s taken 18 months to get that green patina, it’d be a shame to rub it all off.
It's not a shame when it's not working. The fouling out here in the Caribbean is bad. When it doesn't work the scrubbing gets tedious. We are at that point. It now needs it every 3 weeks.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It's not a shame when it's not working. The fouling out here in the Caribbean is bad. When it doesn't work the scrubbing gets tedious. We are at that point. It now needs it every 3 weeks.
Sure. Clearly mine is still working, only just started properly in fact. We are at different stages is all. I will notice when ours is at that point, and we’ll abrade it properly, as you will, no doubt, next lift out