is it hobsons choice for me then

capel679

Visit site
my recent purchase has a large engine bay (18 cubic metres) but no fire protection. am i going to have to install the (very expensive) auto device or are there alternatives.
please help....

Evadne

Visit site
I presume that this is following on from your earlier threads. I confess I've never been inside the engine room of a 43 foot MoBo, so I don't know if its big or not. Anything that can pack twin 250 horse diesels is going to have to be sizeable I guess, and I'm sure I read somewhere that costs increase with the square of the waterline length. Did you remember to subtract the volume of the engines etc. from your calculation?
Is there any way of partitioning off areas to reduce the volume?

capel679

Visit site
ta for the reply.
she is a bayliner. i hadnt accounted for the engines and tanks etc so this could have a reducing effect. my insurance just specifies an automatic fire extinguisher system that can be operated from the bridge or automatic.
????????????????
????????????????
NO MENTION OF SIZE ETC.

fireball

Visit site
Just have a cup of powder sitting over the engine held up with a bit of string then ....
When the fire starts it will burn through the string releasing the powder!! :p

capel679

Visit site
ta AF.
and were do you imagine the said powder ends up ?????????

in the engine....................... : /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

graham

Visit site
Will they accept conventional foam fire extinguishers operated by a pull wire routed through a pipe up to the wheelhouse?

They are likely to also want Fuel shut offs that can be operated outside the engine room and closable engine room vents.

A heat proof window in the engine room door will allow you to see whats going on, (if your fire alarm sounds) ,without opening the door.You dont want to shut eveything down and fire the extinguishers just for a bit of smouldering lagging or whatever.

pvb

Visit site
Was the boat insured previously?...

Assuming the boat was insured previously, I wonder whether your insurers are just being a bit picky? Thought of asking a few other insurers for quotes, and seeing what their requirements are?

dickh

Visit site
Re: Was the boat insured previously?...

Cayying on from my earlier post on this subject - try speaking to Firemaster and see what they say. Tel No 0208852 8585. The largest Firemaster, GTFE2000 is only OK for up to 3.4m³. They also say you should not deduct the engine volume.
You may have to go for a larger system.
Keep us informed of progress anyway.