Is golf more exciting than sailing?

DanTribe

Visit site
I switched the telly on today and the golf happened to be on.
There was a shot of a skiff sailing in not much wind and the commentator said "that's not very exciting, is it?"

I suppose it isn't, not compared to watching guys hit balls with sticks.
I think I may have seen some of the grass growing!:)

pelmetman

Visit site
Only played it once with my brother........he was very upset when I lost all his balls in the water...........it must be my natural element as even my balls head for it:D

epervier

Visit site
There was a shot of a skiff sailing in not much wind and the commentator said "that's not very exciting, is it?"

Robin Williams's take on golf

http://youtu.be/pcnFbCCgTo4

onesea

Visit site

I would rather watch golf on telly than most sailing races, yet you are unlikely to find me on a golf course. ..

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
I am not old enough to enjoy golf

when I am then I will let you know

D

You have it the wrong way round. Sorry to say but you are actually far too old to play golf. Properly, that is.

Old men hacking round a badly kept field is not golf.

To play the game well you need to start young. If you do there is nothing to beat it.

It's a great sport. In my opinion the best there is. Very difficult, not expensive, teaches honesty, self reliance, perseverance and so on. Ever changing scenery, understood all round the world. A great social leveller, fantastic spectator sport. One of the few where a numpty can effectively compete with a superstar, or just have fun on the same course at the same time.

If you want to understand it, watch The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Habebty

Visit site
Nope, sorry, not convinced, golf just seems to have too many knobs networking and stuff giving it a image problem that genuine sporting types can't overcome.

I'm sure that away from all the poseur types it really might be fun.....Hang on a mo, that sounds like sailing :D

Seadog17

Visit site
It's a great sport. In my opinion the best there is. Very difficult, not expensive, teaches honesty, self reliance, perseverance and so on. Ever changing scenery, understood all round the world. A great social leveller, fantastic spectator sport. One of the few where a numpty can effectively compete with a superstar, or just have fun on the same course at the same time.

Totally agree with everything you've said there.

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Nope, sorry, not convinced, golf just seems to have too many knobs networking and stuff giving it a image problem that genuine sporting types can't overcome.

I'm sure that away from all the poseur types it really might be fun.....Hang on a mo, that sounds like sailing :D

Forget about all that. Just go and play yourself with some friends.

As a golfer thinking of taking up sailing I might well look at the RYA, all the carp around the Olympics at Weymouth, the rich men playing Americas Cup, the richer playing J Class, the ridiculous attitudes in yachts clubs, the fuss over flags, the arcane terminology and quickly decide that a walk by the seaside on a nice links with a few mates soundS much more fun.

Don't knock it till you have tried it.

D

Deleted member 36384

I am a non golfer. Last year I took part in a Company staff event at a prestigious Golf Course. In the afternoon it was a Texas Scramble, 9 holes. Well, it got rather exciting as I learned how to aim, then how to apply the power (this was no more than a large pitch and put circuit). After that event I certainly understand how people get addicted to developing their game.

I changed my opinion from thinking it was a boring game to appreciating the excitement of it. Sailing is like this as well. Two sports best appreciated by taking part.

Tomahawk

Visit site
do the watchers also play the game?

Watching a sail boat race is like watching paint dry..
Even for those of us who race, it is still not exciting to watch..

It does, however, seem people can get excited watching someone hit a ball until the ball falls into a very small hole in a well cut lawn.

I think it says more about the people who watch rather than play...

lustyd

Visit site
Watching sport is like watching paint dry..

There fixed that for you. Sport is not supposed to be watched, it's supposed to be done. Golf, sailing, football etc are all great to go out and do but for the life of me I can't work out why millions of people tune in the idiot box to watch others exercise!

Seadog17

Visit site
There fixed that for you. Sport is not supposed to be watched, it's supposed to be done. Golf, sailing, football etc are all great to go out and do but for the life of me I can't work out why millions of people tune in the idiot box to watch others exercise!

Well, if like me you've ever played various forms of sport and appreciate the skills that are involved, you probably might take some pleasure out of watching others who excel at it.

However,if you preferred say, "painting by numbers" in your youth, I think I can see where your coming from.:)