Is Glastron La Raya 728 is light high speed crousier, high speed ruabout or average runabout

jojo04

Visit site
Hi. I want to buy Glastron La Raya 728 without engine. I would like to install an outboard motor, but I can't afford a big and powerful one. I use Boat Speed Calculator to assess power, but I don't know if this boat can be called light high speed crousier, high speed ruabout or average runabout. I'm asking because there is a big difference in the power required to have the desired performance.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Its a speedboat for sheltered warmer waters than the uk. Unsafe in any kind of bad weather and almost unusable in chop. Where do you plan to use it?

I would have thought that without at least 25HP engine it would hardly fly, but maybe you should move post to the Mobo section?

Bajansailor

Visit site

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have seen some aditised with a 250 hp ish inboards and I know of a ski boat close to me with 4 off 300hp suzukis

As Bajansailor says it depends What is your location, and where do you intend to use the boat?

I have a similar speed boat with a 85 hp Yamaha 2 T outboard use in sheltered waters a tidal harbour lagoon

Last edited:

jojo04

Visit site
hi,
i will be using it at Gulf of Gdansk in northen Poland. Baltic is rather quiet sea.
I was wondering about 60hp 4stroke i wish to get 100hp but i think it will be out of reach...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
hi,
i will be using it at Gulf of Gdansk in northen Poland. Baltic is rather quiet sea.
I was wondering about 60hp 4stroke i wish to get 100hp but i think it will be out of reach...

If you are planning to go into the Baltic of offshore I would have twin engines in case one failed while offshore

May be 2 by 30 or 40 Hp

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
If you are planning to go into the Baltic of offshore I would have twin engines in case one failed while offshore

May be 2 by 30 or 40 Hp
A single 60HP with a backup 8 or 10HP would cover the get you home situation same as the fishermen do. Even a back up 5Hp would get you nearly 4kt towards harbour and repair facilities if main engine played up.

Most PanPans I hear are a result of engine failure, and usually from speed boats or RIBs. Several a day off the Brittany coast last summer and I cant see why reliability would improve in Polish waters

rogerthebodger

Visit site
A single 60HP with a backup 8 or 10HP would cover the get you home situation same as the fishermen do. Even a back up 5Hp would get you nearly 4kt towards harbour and repair facilities if main engine played up.

Most PanPans I hear are a result of engine failure, and usually from speed boats or RIBs. Several a day off the Brittany coast last summer and I cant see why reliability would improve in Polish waters

Yes I agree that is an alternative

have a lifting bracket on the side of my mobo transum so I could fit a get me home outboard

Don't know what the Polish waters are like and any rescue services are their

jojo04

Visit site
yes backup engine sounds fine.
but how fast will i go if my boat will be 1,5-2 tons with 60 hp engine

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Jojo

have you handled high powered boats before? Do you know about Hook etc? There are power boat courses

Without knowing more about that boats characteristics I would guess top speed would be between 33kt and maybe even nearly 40kt. Enough to cause mayhem near moorings and throw you in the air or even out of the boat if you hit big waves but no doubt fun in freer calm water

QBhoy

Visit site
yes backup engine sounds fine.
but how fast will i go if my boat will be 1,5-2 tons with 60 hp engine
If she is the model I am thinking of, she is about 23ft with a buddy cabin. They would have came with a v8 mercruiser or similar, when new. You would be unlikely to get her to plane with a 60hp, especially given the idea of having the outboard slung way out aft on a diy bracket. That is before the mention around any such set up or adaption to allow an outboard, is a very difficult thing to achieve correctly and/or effectively.

TSB240

Visit site
This type of heavy sports cruiser boat was probably underpowered with a 250 hp mercruiser inboard as originally fitted.

The boats transom stern is totally unsuited for safely mounting outboards of any size to give the same performance.

It will be and remain a displacement boat and unlikely to get over the hump with less than 200 hp even if the transom could be safely adapted to take that weight and power.

Stick to canals and inland waterways and I am sure a honda 2.3 on the back will give hours of safe pleasure at 4 knots max!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
If it wont get on the plane the top speed could be well under 30kts and QBhoy is right in that 60HP on bracket could put too much weight aft and thus prevent planing by digging stern in to much.

Boats designed for inboard rarely are quite so satisfactory with outboards

QBhoy

Visit site
This type of heavy sports cruiser boat was probably underpowered with a 250 hp mercruiser inboard as originally fitted.

The boats transom stern is totally unsuited for safely mounting outboards of any size to give the same performance.

It will be and remain a displacement boat and unlikely to get over the hump with less than 200 hp even if the transom could be safely adapted to take that weight and power.

Stick to canals and inland waterways and I am sure a honda 2.3 on the back will give hours of safe pleasure at 4 knots max!

It’s only 23ft, I’m sure. With a v8 mercruiser 260hp it would be plenty fast enough for sure. There are 28ft 6 berth cruisers about that will plane and see 30+ mph with the same power.
There are plenty 24/25ft 4 berth cruisers like Sealines and bayliners with 4.3 190hp that do just fine too. This is only a cuddy.
I take your point about the rest though. Agree it’s probably silly to put an outboard on it. Ugly too.
I’d throw a gm 4.3, 5.0 or 5:7 back in there. Just what it needs