Is being a race officer a necessary part of sail racing

roblpm

Visit site
Is it not a system that's worked OK for years, then you've come along, flashed a lot of cash on your boat in a couple of years and started moaning?
You chose to join the system.
Now, because you can't or don't wish to fulfil your duty under the system, you want to inflict a lot of cost on everyone else.

It's quite likely that the reason there is no professionally managed racing in the area is because there is not sufficient demand from people prepared to pay for it.
There's also a finite number of professional RO's.
You will find that they are all busy in July and August, so you won't be running a club evening race while they're busy doing Cowes, Dartmouth, various nationals.

The moaning doesn't start when amateurs are involved, it starts when some members don't take their obligations to other members seriously.
Or when the club management does not take its obligations to the racers seriously.

And paying for an external RO may not give good racing. If you get someone who doesn't know the water as well as a local, you won't get as good a course.
I've sailed a few events with paid RO's where the management has been indifferent. The best RO's tend to be people who have done a lot of racing themselves. Most of those don't want or need to give up racing to get paid a few quid to run yours.

I think I have said on at least one occasion that I realise the club was there before me and I have to abide by its rules.

I don't think that precludes me putting my view forward?! The reason for posting on here was to get a wide range of opinions so I can understand all the angles.

I take your point about the local angle. I think I just need to htfu as they would say on sailing anarchy!

roblpm

Visit site
Rob, next time it's your turn I am happy to stand in for you - I'll even reduce my hourly rate to a mere £20. Only one condition - no George!

You may wish you hadn't offered that.......

And I am not sure your last point can be delivered......