Is 60m of 8mm chain too much for a 31 foot yacht?

G

Ive just fitted an electric windlass to my Moody. I had to change the chain to 8mm. I ordered 40m of chain but S/L would only send 60m.

Ive put the 60m on board!!!

The only thing ive noticed is the stern is about 25 mm up on the water line. What do other people think?

Should I take 20 m off?

I dont race although someone said the boat will go better to windward with the chain. Any suggestions please?

Cliff

G

What are you intending to do ?

The basic forumla is 4 x depth of chain or 6 x depth for rope & chain.

If like me you only anchor of IOW for some lunch then 10m of chain and some rope is fine.

However, if you are holding against a storm in 10m of water, you'll be thankful for 60m of chain.

Why not turn it into 2 x 30m lengths and keep one in the cockpit area to balance the boat ?

G

Re: Is 60m of 8mm chain too much for a 31 foot yac

If your bows are down slightly and you stern up , I can't imagine how that will improve windward performance. 40 m of chain is more than enough for most circumstances in the UK with the possible exception of riding out a gale in an area with a very large tidal range eg. the Channel Islands. As Andrew said she'll probably be better balanced with some of the chain in the stern locker.

G

What an opportunity!

-- Why are you having two helpings of steak and kidney pie, Bill?
-- We're down at the bow by 25mm, darling, got to put some weight in her stern.