Irish Trip - Any suggestions

Ian tan

Visit site
I have a 46ft flybridge cruiser and was planning to head over to Ireland in the summer. We would head over from Campbeltown with a view to getting back to Pwthelli in Wales.

Is it worth going along the top of Ireland to Londonderry? Should we go to Carrickfergus or Bangor rather than trying to get into Belfast?

How about Stangford Lough, I ve heard a lot of good things about that area.

How about heading down to Dublin, is it worth it are there nice stops on the way? I'm torn between heading south of going back via the Isle of Man.

I'm not looking for a definitive guide just a few pointers from those of you that know the waters. Some days we may travel up to 100 miles, others we may not even switch the engines on, I suppose I'm saying we'll go where the mood and weather takes us.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Enjoy. Travelling from Campbeltown it is probably too far for you to travel to the jewel in the crown of Ireland's cruising - the Cork/Kerry coast. The east coast scenery is a little boring with really only the Dublin Marina's on offer (i.e. Malahide, Dun Laoghaire, or Poolbeg YC for city centre access). There is a new Marina in Greystones village about 2hrs south of Dublin bay. I'd give Arklow and Wicklow a miss. The scenery and bountiful supply of beautiful harbours in the Cork and Kerry areas is stunning. The North East coast is also beautiful. You might even be able to access Lough Neagh via Coleraine although there isn't many places to visit on Lough Neagh itself.

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
Whilst Ocean Froggie is undoubtedly right about the south west coast, there is still a decent cruise to be had down the east coast as far as Dublin and then across to Pwhelli. In Belfast Loch you have a choice between Bangor or Carrickfergus, both of which offer a warm welcome but Carickfergus is easier for re-supply with a supermarket just over the road. You can (or at least could in 2011) go right into the centre of Belfast as there are marina facilities quite close to the new Titanic museum and within a short walk of the city. Well worth the visit IMO but read up on the port control procedures first. The VTS are very helpful.

Strangford Loch is also well worth a visit. The entrance can be a bit daunting but is fine in good conditions. Any significant wind over the ebb is definitely to be avoided and make sure you have detailed charts as the loch is strewn with pladdies. An alternative port is nearby Ardglass where there is a small marina but capable of taking a boat of your size. Further south you could visit Carlingford Loch with its somewhat quirky marina, set among lovely mountain scenery. If you like walking there are plenty of opportunities here. It's about a mile to the village with its pubs and shops.

After that, the Dublin area is the next port of call. It is easy to get into the city from any of the marinas OF mentions via the DART rapid transit system. We favour Malahide despite the tidal restrictions of the entrance.

Wherever you go you are assured of a great time and the warmest of welcomes.

Richard.

Ian tan

Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I need to do a bit of research.

Do any of you know if there any good websites for the South? I found Afloat.ie but some of it is information is quite out of date?

Mrnotming

Visit site
I have a 46ft flybridge cruiser and was planning to head over to Ireland in the summer. We would head over from Campbeltown with a view to getting back to Pwthelli in Wales.

Is it worth going along the top of Ireland to Londonderry? Should we go to Carrickfergus or Bangor rather than trying to get into Belfast?

I know you said you were not looking for a definitive guide, but if you can access these publications,say a library might provide,it will help your planning.
Www.irishcruisingclub.com

How about Stangford Lough, I ve heard a lot of good things about that area.

How about heading down to Dublin, is it worth it are there nice stops on the way? I'm torn between heading south of going back via the Isle of Man.

I'm not looking for a definitive guide just a few pointers from those of you that know the waters. Some days we may travel up to 100 miles, others we may not even switch the engines on, I suppose I'm saying we'll go where the mood and weather takes us.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
www.irishcruising club.com has publications which are most useful in planning.A library near you may provide same? I know you said you did not want a definitive guide,but perhaps just a look in these would help?

Mrnotming

Visit site
that's a fantastic link James- we are thinking of going to Courtown this year and the information provided is about as good as I have seen on harbours. Thanks for posting.

Hi Mike k,
Courtown Harbour will be closed this year unfortunately, due to neccessary repairs being carried out.See link below.
http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2015/04/27/e1-5-million-contract-signed-for-courtown-harbour-repairs/
Note:The Havens section in the http://inmyfootsteps.com says 3 meters at LWS (9.84 feet) This may well be the case inside the harbour, but not in the entrance channel.

Greystones Marina is quite nice, Alan Corr is the Manager,a very personable type!

Last edited:

Mike k

Visit site
Hi Mike k,
Courtown Harbour will be closed this year unfortunately, due to neccessary repairs being carried out.See link below.
http://www.wexfordecho.ie/2015/04/27/e1-5-million-contract-signed-for-courtown-harbour-repairs/
Note:The Havens section in the http://inmyfootsteps.com says 3 meters at LWS (9.84 feet) This may well be the case inside the harbour, but not in the entrance channel.

Greystones Marina is quite nice, Alan Corr is the Manager,a very personable type!

thanks very much Paul- that puts a big hole in those plans then. It was a personal thing going to Courtown so I will defer that till 2016 .Cheers for the heads up and link.

regards

Mike

pmagowan

sites.google.com
You can make significant speed so I would recommend going North. Of course Strangford is lovely and a significant amount of the coast is inside its tidal gate. The Northeast coast of Antrim is lovely and has nome nice wee bays to have lunch in. You can head up to Ballycastle and across to Rathlin. There is a great walk on Rathlin to the bird sanctuary at the lighthouse. They have a pontoon now too. You can go round to Derry as advised in a previous post. Carry on round to Donegal and the Inishowen peninsula if the weather is good. There is Inishtrahul island here with lovely walks, wildlife and a reasonably sheltered harbour on either side. Beware the rock on the way in to the main harbour, you need to keep very tight in to the wall if you are going to come alongside. From here you can make a quick dash in good weather to Tory Island where you might meet the King Patsy-Dan. There is a big harbour here, a good pub and amazing culture. The inner islands of Inshboffin and beg have amazing coastlines with caves and silver beaches. They also have a feeling of Ireland that time has left behind.

Either way you will have a good warm welcome and great fun.

Galia

Visit site
Campbelltown to Bangor marina
http://www.quaymarinas.com/our-marinas/bangor-marina/

You can also get to Belfast Harbour marina but they like a couple of hours notice, narrow channel / fast ferries etc. Marina is just outside Odyssey / Premier Inn. https://www.belfast-harbour.co.uk/port/marina/

Heading North we found Glenarm marina to be cheaper than Ballycastle (different councils).
In fact http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/west-scotland-northern-ireland/glenarm-marina/ is a good website. Portrush is also a lovely stop over, popular seaside destination.
In through the Barmouth & down Lower Bann river to Coleraine, Free moorings courtesy of Waterways Ireland , more info here - http://www.waterwaysireland.org/waterway?navigation=lower-bann-navigation
Further east is Lough Foyle and Lough Swilly, havn't been there yet but plan to get eventually.
As has already been said South from Bangor is Strangford Lough - lovely destination and just below it is Ardglass, another lovely marina.
Beyond that I have no experience but I'm sure there will be plenty of others along shortly

George

Last edited:

Ian tan

Visit site
Once again guys thanks for all the great suggestions and links, I'll need to spend a few days researching the trip. The suggestion of heading round past Derry sounds interesting but to be honest I'll plan that as a side trip weather and time permitting. I can always head back over later in the summer.

Looks like it will be Ballycastle/ Rathlin, down to Belfast, Dublin, across to Wales, Pwllheli and back via IOM.

Now to look at the detail!

Harry25

Visit site
We had a nice time visiting Londonderry about four years ago. It had at that time one single pontoon right next to city centre , but I believe it has been extended. No toilets but had electric and water. Public toilets were in city centre about ten minutes walk or there was plenty of pubs around. When we arrived a local helped us moor up. I asked him what was the highlights of Londonderry or was it Derry. He replied Derry. After he had gone my wife said what was that all about and I had to tell her that catholics call it Derry (they don't like the London bit) and it is still a devided religous city. My wife liked the city as it was so close and had many big stores. It has a really old city wall round it but inside all are new shops due to the troubles. Apparently they were all blown up. I liked the city and do intend to go back. IOM we visted on a different trip stayed at Peel really liked that too. If you do go there beware there is quite a tidal range and Peel marina has a cill so you have to time your arrival and departure to get into the marina.

Seastoke

Visit site
Enjoy. Travelling from Campbeltown it is probably too far for you to travel to the jewel in the crown of Ireland's cruising - the Cork/Kerry coast. The east coast scenery is a little boring with really only the Dublin Marina's on offer (i.e. Malahide, Dun Laoghaire, or Poolbeg YC for city centre access). There is a new Marina in Greystones village about 2hrs south of Dublin bay. I'd give Arklow and Wicklow a miss. The scenery and bountiful supply of beautiful harbours in the Cork and Kerry areas is stunning. The North East coast is also beautiful. You might even be able to access Lough Neagh via Coleraine although there isn't many places to visit on Lough Neagh itself.

does greystones have a fuel berth

wonky

Visit site
Belfast City harbour by the Titanic museum is a great spot. Right in the city and pretty cheap too. Apparently the fuel from nearby is incredibly cheap too, unfortunately I had just filled up!! There is a magazine(free) that covers Northern Ireland and South west Scotland that I can't for the life of me remember the name of, had lots of useful info on places to stop. Anyone else remember what it was called?