Irish Sea all to myself?

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
What a lovely weekend. Set off down the Ribble on yesterday afternoon tide. There were a couple of powerboats and the usual dozen or so raggies in the river, but once out over the bar I seemed to have the whole southeastern Irish Sea to myself. Set Arctic Fox up on an economical cruise of about 20 kts on 230 degs for Conway.

As I passed the Lennox Gas Platform there were three little fishing boats anchored in the lee of the “Sefton Supporter” (the field standby vessel) . A few miles later, passing Jordan’s Spit, the wind had dropped away and the sea was oily smooth. I could not believe it, a beautiful day and not a boat in sight!

Another 15 miles and there was a bulk carrier anchored near the Douglas Platform (waiting for the Mersey) but still no boats. Another 10 miles and the Super Sea Cat (Liverpool-Dublin ferry) was rapidly coming up on a crossing course from starboard. Having no wish to cross his substantial wake it was time to gun her up to 25 kts to pass safely ahead. The smooth sea lasted all the way to the Orme’s Head when a stiff southerly breeze suddenly came up and quite a steep choppy sea, so it was back to 16 kts for the last few miles into the fairway. Once in Conway it was again flat and calm, then the penny dropped, it must have been the diurnal flow, where the hot air goes up the mountains during the day and rushes back down in the evening as it cools.

A pleasant night was spent at Conwy Marina and this morning it was a trip across to Puffin Island and down the channel to the Menai Strait. Soon after leaving Conway it became quite foggy, and had to rely on the chartplotter to find Puffin Island in about 1 mile visibility. Arrived at the Menai Bridge just right at slack water and made a passage down the Strait towards Port Dinorwic before turning back through the Strait and into Bangor on the top of the tide, where Arctic Fox was lifted out for the remainder of the commissioning jobs to be done .

The ride home on the train to collect the car at Preston soon brought me back to reality, but it is hard to believe that there was hardly a boat in the southeast Irish Sea. What happens to the hundreds of boats in all the marina’s ? Am I the only one who ever goes anywhere other than a ten mile trip down the river and back? How was everyone else’s weekend? The only blight is going back to Africa next week, but the need to earn the money to pay for the toys rules.

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm

ccscott49

Visit site
Nice trip, I think most people from the Ribble and Glasson tend to head to Scotland or Ireland I know I used to.

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Hi Colin,

Wondered where you'd been hiding recently. Imagine that you are probably correct, as in previous years when I have gone to IOM, Douglas seems to attract raggies from all over.

Had an interesting conversation with local touristy jet boat operator at Conwy holding berth on Monday morning. After he had watched me cleaning Artic Fox he strolled over and said "Nice boat, where've you come from"? Preston I replied, "Did you have it transported over he asked?" "No; I sailed over yesterday, why did you ask if I'd had it transported?" ....."Because most people do, probably because they cannot bear losing sight of land for a few minutes" he replied.

So that probably answers my question.

Saw another fascinating phenomenon on Monday, realised on the way across to Puffin Island that the fog had a pretty clearly defined edge, once I got down the Menai Strait past Beaumaris it became clear again. Looking back to the south you could actually see the fog rolling down the side of Snowdon and out to sea in the gentlest of southerly breezes. Quite a magical sight. Seeing little things like that make it all worthwhile.

Once I got on the train in Bangor it was overcast, then foggy and brilliant sunshine in the half dozen miles to Conway, regular little microclimate.

All healed up from the outboard aerobatics now?

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm

ccscott49

Visit site
Magic moments! Ankle still sore!! Cuts almost healed. Thankyou for asking! I remember watching the clouds actually form over Gibraltar, in a matter of minutes, the whole of the top of the rock was shrouded in cloud, it was like watching one of those speeded up weather forecast thingies! wonderful actually watchinbg it form, it took about four minutes! Wondeful sight. I still love the UK and all it's little bits, it was just the politics, prices, crime and weather that drove me out! If you see Swn Y Mor at sea out of Glasson, in the area, say hello, it's my brother. By the way, when I left Glasson a few years ago, going back to Dartmouth, I got sick of the site of Angelsey, I was storm bound in Holyhead for five days! Not a nice place to be storm bound, they roll up the pavements after the ferry has gone! Yacht club was nice though and friendly.