Iraqi oil - our role

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
I was interested by the other Iraqi oil post so thought I'd start another one from a different perspective as I didn't see this covered when I last looked.

Some years ago - just after the Gulf War I flew to the States for the first time. It was a clear January night as I flew into Dallas Fort Worth. I was astonished. Dallas glowed - a continuous bright glow, not individual street lights, unlike London which has pin pricks of light with vast swathes of darkness where the parks and commons are. My impression was that, could I stick a slice of bread outside then I could toast it. Mile after mile - it lasted for 20 minutes at say 300mph. It brought home to me Americas reason for the Gulf War. I would think that this is a major reason why they are doing this now. There seems to be no direct link between Iraq and the perpetrators of the disgusting September the 11th outrage - indeed, they are no longer mentioned.

Which calls into question why we are so heavily involved now. It is too easy to say that Blair is Bush's poodle - mere tabloid hysteria.

I voted for Blair and whilst I have lost belief in his Government I cannot believe that he is a complete liar or that he would risk the lives of our children just because Bush tells him to. There has to be more to it. So below are some of the possibilities.

1. He really does have information that Saddam is getting ready to use a weapon on us or provide it to others who will.
2. He believes that Saddam will use oil as a weapon against us and is protecting our livelihoods and way of life - yours and mine.
3. As a committed Christian he will no longer stand by and watch Saddam torture and kill innocent people.
4. He is not prepared to risk our way of life being threatened by any possibility whatsoever from whatever quarter - the fact that Iraq happens to be Muslim is neither here nor there and September the 11th was merely a catalyst.

Maybe there are more and I would say that any of those are strong arguments in favour to a greater or lesser degree. Except that I have a Son. Directly I reduce the argument to the personal, I start to waiver.

One thing seems certain. Muslim people do see this as anti-muslim and we risk making a billion enemies whose view of life is in some ways very different - but no less valid. So, we had better start understanding why they feel so bad. We must not let the situation in Palastine continue - which they seem to see as a focus and catalyst for their actions.

The question is - how do we improve the lot of other nations without damaging our own? Anybody who thinks the one doesn't lead to the other is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Magic

Bergman

Visit site
Just some thoughts really:

1 Presumably any such information comes from intelligence services, you know, the people who brought us Philby, Mclean, Blunt, Cairncross, Burgess, Prime etc. The people who could not decide whether the head of MI5 worked for us or Russia. The ones who gave us forewarning of invasion of Falklands, overthrow of Gorbachov, fall of USSR, invasion of Kuwait, revolt in Grenada, etc - Hmmmmmm

2 There is supposed to be a UN boycott of Iraqi oil, only allowed to sell enough to buy "humanitarian" supplies. So short of invading Kuwait again and possibly Saudi he can have no direct influence. He might pursuade other Arab states to up the price and/or cut supply but I don't see that dropping bombs on him or invading Iraq will help put a counter argument.

3 I make no judgement as to his religious commitment. However there are plenty of other states that have equally disgraceful record on human rights. Is he going to invade all of them. Notably, he will not apply sanctions against Zimbabwe, other than to try to stop people playing cricket against them. Perhaps because his party was instrumental in supporting Mugabe (when he was backed by USSR). Hypocracy is the word that springs to mind.

4 Not sure that this will affect our way of life. Except perhaps for the families of those service men (and women) who will lose their lives. No-one is threatening to invade us. OK there is some threat from terrorism, but thats not new. We have had terror threats from Turkish, Kurdish, Palestinian, Irish, Seikh, German, Japanese, Libyan, even Scottish groups, not to mention Animal rights, Angry Brigade and and several other sources. We have survived those. Thinking back, the root of Al qeida terrorism was Afganistan, invading there appears not to have reduced the threat, quite the reverse.

Not sure that it is a good idea to speak of Muslim people having any particular single opinion. Certainly one Muslim friend of mine was (and still is) absolutely incandescent with rage against those who commited 9/11. She sees it as completely against her faith to commit such acts. The terrorist/fundamentalist element are a lunatic fringe and do not represent the opinions and way of life of most Muslims any more than, say, the Provisional IRA represent the views of the Catholic Church.

Certainly the core issue must be Palestine. Until there is some sort of settlement there, although how that can happen I really don't know.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Note - I didn't say that all Muslims agreed with the September the 11th outrage. But, I do feel that a very large majority would see a war with Iraq as anti-Muslim whether that is true or not. Incidentally, I'm sure its not.

Magic

Bergman

Visit site
Yes, agreed.

I don't have a clue how the majority would see it.

Probably much as in this country, the majority will believe what they are told to believe.

Certainly the few Muslims that I know are against a invasion, but then so am I

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Magic,

Given your intro, i was surprised that you didn't list the desire to keep the lights burning in Dallas by capturing one of the world's largest oilfiields, as a possible motive.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I'm of an age where nothing touched by hand of politiican seems pure and simple anymore. Rotten and corrupt, yes. Pure and simple, no.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Hi Ken

Yes. Since then I've travelled to many American cities and the story is the same everywhere.

LA makes Dallas look positively stygian.

I too take a somewhat jaundiced view of politicians due to age. Idealism has long gone. I was hoping that after the Tory years we would get something different. How wrong can you be!

Magic

G

I would also like to add ....

I lived in Saudi for 5 years, living and working not in one of the ex-pat camps like ARAMCO, but actually in the proper Arab town, amongst them. Most I found to be normal and actually friendly. BUt I have to say that the majority were poorly educated and easy for zealots etc. to indoctrinate.

Their regard for life was different to ours cannot really say much more about that - except the old 'joke' Allah shall decide my fate today, reagrdless of what I do did seem to prevail ....

I will never forget the Justice of the Muslim Court in Saudi. A Shi-ite Muslim was arrested in the street for 'blasphemy', he had called into question the Sunni worship rules ... for thos that are unaware - there are various Muslim factions and have slightly different views on paryers etc. He protested that his worship was full and as per Koran, but 2 weeks after arrest - he was be-headed in the main square by Sharia Court decree. I'm sure that someone will dispute this but I can hand on heart and state it true. It is not something that you forget or respect.
I respect all persons their own views and persuasions ... but please do not tread on others in mistaken purity like they did.

Sadam Hussein is NOT the only one.

I was in the Gulf before, during and after the War. When Kuwait was 'liberated' and Kuwait commenced governing again ..... a Head Teacher from a School was arrested by the Authorities for Anti State activities ...... what had she done ? She had been threatened by Iraqi soldiers to keep the school open during the occupation and teach such and such matters as instructed .... note on pain of dire consequences. Kuwait was liberated - teacher arrested and then executed for Anti State activities and Collaboration.

Boy I could go on but I think you all now get the oicture of what you are all discussing ...... USA - why worry - they have economic problems, they are securing oil from Russia - possibly second largest oil reserves in world .... etc. etc.

Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !