Ipad type plotter

Eddie White

Visit site
This makes sense to me, so I'll see if I can explain lol. We have a petrol engined cruiser, so knowing where petrol stations etc are is useful. I've found that often you can't see them from the river, but they aren't far away; same with shops etc. So I was thinking of running a cheap tablet using something like google earth. I've got unlimited data on my mobile, so can use that as a hotspot for the tablet to get internet access. Has anyone done similar please? Cheers, Ed

Martin_J

Visit site
With the Google Maps app most people just type place names in the search bar at the top (and don't realise you can just type in the type of place you want to find).

If you type petrol station into the search bar, will this help..

Screenshot_20230818-120831_Maps.jpg

You can then click on one of the marked petrol stations, click 'directions' and it will give you a choice of car, walk or public transport directions (including time and distances).

Martin_J

Visit site
I'm not on the Thames at the moment but by choosing a petrol station, clicking directions (then adding a virtual start location), maps comes up with this...

Screenshot_20230818-121357_Maps.jpg

Martin_J

Visit site
And if you choose the 'public transport' directions for a preferred petrol station that's further away, the Google Maps app can even tell you where exactly to walk and which bus to catch.

Screenshot_20230818-121845_Maps.jpg

Eddie White

Visit site
Cheers folks. Has anyone done anything similar?
Literally any of the Tablet / Phone apps such as WAZE ... MAPS .... etc will provide same ... maybe better ?

Google Earth can in fact be quite a way out of date .... as example - zoom in on my place ... its 2yrs OOD
Cool cheers

B27

Visit site
Cruising on the coast, there are various 'pilot books' and guides with loads of info about facilities as well as navigational stuff.
It might be worth looking for something similar for your waterway?

Yes you can find a lot of things on google or bingmaps, but sometimes looking in the books works better.

Refueler

Visit site
Cruising on the coast, there are various 'pilot books' and guides with loads of info about facilities as well as navigational stuff.
It might be worth looking for something similar for your waterway?

Yes you can find a lot of things on google or bingmaps, but sometimes looking in the books works better.

Especially when that iPad battery dies ..........

Sitting in Airport departure - you can always see people wandering around with their iPhone / iPad cables looking for a charge point !!

B27

Visit site
Especially when that iPad battery dies ..........

Sitting in Airport departure - you can always see people wandering around with their iPhone / iPad cables looking for a charge point !!
I paid £10 for a battery bank thingummy which lives in the chart table.

Stemar

Visit site
Scatter a few of these around your boat and you won't have to worry about the battery bank being flat just when you need it most:

Twin Port Fast Charge USB Power Socket With Blue LED (5V, 4.8A)

My top tip for Google Maps is to download the map for the area before going somewhere where the phone signal is questionable. For navigation in the car, I prefer Waze, but GM has the advantage in remote areas because of this. I've got a route, set off and a few miles down the road it's popped up and told me it's got a data connection and we're on the best route. Waze just sulks until it gets a signal.