Invitation from the RYA,,,,

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
,,,,, to renew my ICC,,,,, but I only got it in the first place to tide me over until that nice Mr Cunliffe said I was a Yachtmaster, which he did last year, much to the amusement of all my pals.
Tell me the YM ticket is enough, please,,,,,,,,,? And what the hell is a CENVI? Can I buy one in Holland? It wouldnt be any trouble, I sail over most years,,,,,,,,,

IanW

Vertue 203, Patience

S

Skyva_2

CEVNI is the European Inland Waterways 'Colregs'. (Code Européen des Voies de la Navigation Intérieure). Its a short test at a teaching establishment but I am afraid you have to get it to be legal on Continental inland waterways. Some of the rules add a lot to the basic colregs.

Look up CEVNI on Google for more info.

Keith

snowleopard

Visit site
icc & rya

i wanted one in case of spanish officialdom. rya were happy to issue me one on the basis of my yachtmaster. the fee was the joke: free to rya members. to non-members, £1 more than the annual membership fee. i joined up but they seemed surprised when i didn't renew the following year!

incidentally having a ym gets you an offshore-only icc, to get the inland version you have to take a cevni test.

and i've never been asked for it so wonder why i bothered.

ianwright

Visit site
Re: icc & rya

" i've never been asked for it so wonder why i bothered"

Indeed. In twenty years of sailing to Holland and Belgium I've only been asked for my passport twice, and one of those times I didn't have it.(I had been planning on aiming for Lowestoft but the wind was good for Ostend, so,,,,,) They didn't seem to mind much.
I've never been asked for anything else at all.
Bloody bureaucrats!

Vertue 203, Patience

G

Yes the test is only short, BUT have you seen the book that you have to learn, as they can ask you a question on any of it. I bought the RYA book of Euroregs for Inland Waterways, it would be just as easy to have have a flip chart of all the signs and signals on board. I can assure you that after sitting the test, I will forget 70% of them, I will still need to keep the book for reference, so what is the point of the test ?

westhinder

Visit site

A word of warning: Belgian Maritime Police have become very active following a reorganisation. They didn’t bother much about yachts until 2001, but since last year they have been routinely boarding yachts both in harbour and at sea, and scrutinizing both paperwork and emergency equipment. So far, to my knowledge, they have focused on us, locals, but you never know what they’re up to.

rich

www.portofjersey.je

I had an ICC which entitled me to go anywhere - but when I re-newed it for £25.00 they had taken off my inland waterways bit, so I had to do the CEVNI test as an extra. However you can't just have it added to your ICC certificate, you have to send the whole lot off again (another £25.00) to have it added on, and then it's only valid for 5 years!
Someone seems to be making a profit on this, and I've never been asked for it either. I tried to show it to the gendarmes in Granville when they came on board to check my papers, but they weren't interested.
A note of warning - please take all your papers with you to France, even if no-one asks to see them, you can get in deep trouble the one time they do need to see them and you've left them at home on the kitchen table (I speak from bitter experience - it nearly cost me a spot fine of £1000)

rich :))

G

Please could you list what documents you think are necessary with your experience.

Cheers,

rich

www.portofjersey.je

The most important is SSR or Blue Book registration, plus insurance and ICC (yachtmaster is no good) and of course your passport, and a passport for everyone on board. Proof of ownership and VAT paid proof is also necessary, and plenty of Euros! Also a CEVNI endorsement for inland waters, although this is a grey area with regards to river estauries etc - when does the River Rance become an Inland Waterway?

rich :))

G

found myself in the same position and was really p**ed off to be told by the rya that i needed the icc as well. took it up with the rya, who explained that the reason the yachtmaster was not acceptable was that it was only in english. no answer was received to the obvious question of "why not print the ym cert in other languages" nor to the point about the cost of the icc versus membership. would expect that sort of pricing tactic from a double glazing salesman, not the outfit we pay to look after us.

even more annoying, the rya told me by e mail that i didnt need the icc for offshore EC, only to imply in some subsequent publicity verbiage that i did. i suspect that the first answer is correct and the second is dictated by commercial considerations, but i dont know for sure

cevni is something different, and you definitely need the icc with that endorsement if you plan to go inland in holland. the test is pretty noddy however

ianwright

Visit site
I'm told by Marian on the BYM site, and she wrote the book on Euro regs, that a boat as small and as slow as a Vertue has no need of of CEVNI in Holland or Belgium.
I REALLY don't want to give the RYA any more of my beer tokens,,,,,
If I can't find chapter and verse I'll rely on the fact that no one has ever asked me to show any documentation in Holland, in twenty years,,,,,

IanW

Vertue 203, Patience