Internet providers

G

I have recently had many problems getting on the net, my providers is good old BT but they are not so good after all, I sometimes have to abandon a link up and try later as it will just not connect, I try maybe 10 to 15 times then give up, I am on BT surftime and although I realise that it is'nt costing me a fortune it is no good paying if you cannot use the dam thing, can you all tell me where to go from here alternative companies are welcome , who are you all with? whats the best in your eyes? HELP WANTED please, oh and when I do get on it then disconnects after about 30 minutes, sometimes in the middle of a post as well, no mind blowing answers as IT ain't my stuff!.

Paul js.

lanason

Visit site
I was with Demon for ages really good service but a bit costly. No problems at all. Even a free mag to read every now and again.
So I too recently changed to BT - Bad move, ages to get on, keeps crashing. Maybe I should move again, but with the "evenings and weekends" surftime is it still a good deal??

Adrian :))

Scubadoo

Visit site
Not sure I can help but I tell you my methods,

Firstly I use the office most of the time (like now) a nice big pipe, secondly at home I connect to Virgin.net (local rate) using my simple phone line. I get connected first time about 99% of the time and very rarely get disconnected.

I'm sure others will give more info.

RM.

G

Re: NTL

This works for me I started with bt then, because of all the same problems went to freeserve then yet again more problems ,but to be fair not anything like as bad as bt . Now with ntlworld.com occasional problems but I upload my boats site with no problems also when I have had a problem ntl have got back to me very quickly .
Freeserve the main reason I left was because I could not ever get a reply to requests for their service either not working or unavailable ,their staff some times when I did get through on the expensive phone line didn't appear to know more than me about pc stuff !! how can you help some one with their problem if they know more than you .By the way I don't know that much .So it's ntlworld for me they have broadband which I cant get here in the middle of nowhere so my connection is not as fast as some .
I pay £15.00 a month, but that's with £15.00 of actual phone calls .So great value
and I have complete access 24 hours 7 days a week .
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
want big trawler / tug steel but v/cheep or swap for tug

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
AOL
£15 a month including calls (0800 numbers) fast (52000 things per sec) get on first or second time, never chucked off. Can use all over the world (Dial in from your laptop on the equivalent of 0800 foreign numbers or use AOL.com from cyber cafes)
Joanna Lumley says "Welcome to AOL"
What more could you wish for....
David

coliholic

Visit site
Re: NTL

Well I think mtb just wrote exactly my story with BT and Freeserve so dumped them and went to NTL's broadband cable thing. And it's FANTASTIC. £25 a month flat fee, the pc is permanently connected to the web if you want, no dial up and it's a quick as a click. In the 3 months we've been on it, it's never crshed or gone off line or done anything wobbly at all.

If you've not seen broadband in operation, go somehere and have a demo, you'll be stunned. No waiting for web pages to load, it's all there as soon as you click. Stunning. What I always envisaged the web was going to be like.

And no I don't work for them and before Depsol or jfm suggests it, I don't get a commission or kickback either.

G

Re: Bt probs

I'm with BT Surftime, and as I speak I'm on a second ISP cos could'nt get through to BT
however that does'nt happen that often. My second ISP and second resort as it were
is the one I started on before Surftime. free-online.co.uk Don't have many probs getting
on but of course different dial up number so paying for local calls.

cneighbour

G

Thanks folks, glad to see that it isn't just me that has the problems if it gets worse then I shall probably go to another supplier, no chance with NTL as they wont lay the cable up 200 metres of my driveway from the road, cheapscates I thought as I would be paying them back eventually!, may as well stick with BT for now and swap to the night shift like LJS, Haydn and others that suffer insomnia or don't like the look of SWMBO when it's time to hit the sack, it must be quieter and quicker at those small hours sorry forgot to mention you as well Byron.
Thanks again all....Paul js.

G

Re: ntl

It's done through your phone line .
For phone calls you dial in 1263 until you get the connection box, which cost me £10.00
They send you a disk which automatically sets up the gearbox connection kit then you punch in the pin code then your password .
You do need to check it's available in your area ,on the internet by typing in your postcode.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want big steel trawler / tug l but v/cheep or swap for tug

G

Since coming back to UK I have had broadband/adsl accounts with BT and NTL. Both are OK until take up in your area becomes subscribed to the point where you start having your band width cut for up and download.

The only isp I can say I have been happy with are an outfit on the Isle of Man called enterprise www.enterprise.net. £75 + VAT a year and local call charges, no pop up arse wipe invasive software web browsers lets make the whole web experiance a plesure for our advertisers type thing.

Quick note for anyone using ntl cable with motorola surfboard modem, next time you see an engineer get as meny attenuatiors (step up & down) as you can off him. If your connection starts to play about, pound to a penny , ntl will have upgraded broadcast strength and modem will be flooded

Tim Eades
http://www.btinternet.com/~tim.eades/

G

Re: TimE unrelated

whats an Ocean 760 is it 76 feet long?

cneighbour

Geoffs

Visit site
Agree with all good said about AOL, I use 'em. Tech support good as well and that's an 0800 number, none of this pound a min rubbish.

If you want an 0845 number, I've found YAHOO totally reliable.

jfm

Visit site
Re: vote for freeserve

Use Freeserve at home. Fixed price 12.99/month and zero call charges, so we leave it almost permanently connected, eg all day at weekends and all evening in weekdays. Never fails to connect straightaway, never drops off the conenection.

But usually get a 28.8 connection, despite having 56 modem, so a bit slow. Need to investigate broadband but like satellite TV, I dont understand it. Eg is there a diff between ADSL and broadband? We're not in NTL location

tcm

Visit site
Re: vote for freeserve

eh wot? i just press the msn thing.

also, you were gonna tell me bout sattylite. A decoder summink. Or a card? Tellme wot to buy OR sell me one OR um no, just sell me one.

jfm

Visit site
Pay attention you at the back

You've forgotten. All sorted. Was all explained last time. Eyeties have organised to have satellite kit with card supplied by local SofF dealer, so he can maintain. Kit will be shipped from SofF to Viarreg. It will be supplied on a full price basis, not discounted £49.95 basis, because you are not going to have it connected to a phone jack, so Sky will not make any £££ from you buying pay-per-view movies (it is the phone connection rule, and the bet they take that you will buy ppvs now and again, that allows heavy discounting of boxes in UK). But all-inclusive price so no matter.

The satellite boxes will be Nokia 8000 series. The possibility of Sony slim boxes was mentioned to you but you decided better to have the Nokia as rec by dealer, so he can maintain it all.

Keep up with the plot for chrisssakes!!

tcm

Visit site
Re: er

aha! No - I mean, duh? so, do ineed a card thing or what. Note that all our tv's are with aerila on the roof BBC1 2 and ITV and C4 and snowy C5. One of them in the flat has a coathangar. the other quite spensive 25 quid tc road aerial.

Do the boat people supply this lot (but it'll be frog tv?) OR don't I have to get summink that you think i have, but haven't?

Boat in water, btw.

jfm

Visit site
Re: er ...hmmmmmm

Not sure now........

Card will come with satellitebox, you just renew it when sub runs out i think, or pay a monthly sub. You will need to get it set so you pay the sub for, and get, the UK channels, not all Frog/German. Local guy should fix that, but if stuck just buy a Dixons installation for home UK and take the car with you.

You might need 3 cards, since 3 boxes on boat. not sure about that.

Sat TV will be received from sphere on radar arch. As for (Frog) terrestrial TV, I assume they'll just stick a normal ariel somewhere on the boat and you'll get snowy pics. Or praps you can get all the regular terrestrial TV channels via the sat too, so will get non-snowy picture.

Dunno really. The best part sounds like that fact it all comes from a SofF local bod, so he can fix/explain. In fact he'll probly make sure it's damned unreliable so he gets regular repair visits to LS23, will bring a diff babe along each time

In water - fab! Do you mean it's been in and is now out, or is it moored in the river for final fit out? Must be nearly finished