Internet Facilities in Marina

fluffc

Visit site
I am considering live-aboard, but need a reliable and fast internet connection for my business needs. I have seen the literature advertising for "Square Mile" and read the other thread below.

Does anyone have practical experience of "Square Mile" and does it do what it says on the tin?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
The system works really well and in Barcelona a fraction of your telephone line in port vell.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Hi

Can u give me any info on this "square mile" is it wireless broadband?
Have you any ideas on the charges to yacht owners ?
do you have port vell s no.?

I live on the costa del sol and i am considering offering broadband to my local marina, then they can supply laptop pc wireless cards to owners if they wish to connect.

is it a runner? how much would you pay? let me know, your thoughts all?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
Although it's supposed to be working here in Brighton I'm having huge problems getting it to operate with my PC (and haven't even strted trying to make it work on an Apple yet). They're suppopsed to be getting an engineer here to the boat tomorrow - I'll keep you posted.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip

seashaw

Visit site
It was supposed to be working in Haslar a couple of weeks ago but I've heard nothing from the company so I decided to borrow a wireless network thingy and set it up onboard. However I could not get a siginal, looks like they are having problems here as well.

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My enquiries to this company have been answered. In order for your calls to cost 'pence' I can only suppose that your Internet traffic is enormous.

Purchase price for the satellite dish and necessary interfaces is about 1500 Euro, plus another 350 Euro for a satellite locator. The cheapest monthly charge available is 140 Euro, more for business use, for Broadband. For comparison, my domestic Broadband service in Holland costs 44 Euros per month.

For me, at least, the costs of using a mobile phone will be considerably less than this system. Thanks for your input, though, it's always worth following up new systems.

<hr width=100% size=1>