Internal Varnish Finish

olly_love

Visit site
We are looking to revarnish some areas of our boat,
Currently Teak finished and in Satin finish

Im really not a fan of the high gloss dark teak look.

The boat is a race boat so will be using 2 pack

Has anyone had any experience of Internation 2 pack with the Matting agent,
or the Hemple 2 pack with the same?

Just wondering what the finish looks like? and if its easy to get a consistant finish

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've used it for the area around the companionway and the companionway steps into the cabin.
It's now 2 seasons old and is standing up very well, including our old dog scrambling up and down the steps.
It's expensive, I paid £60+ for 750ml pack.
You need lots of matting to get true mat finnish, more mat than the basic 2 pack varnish.
I found it has a strong tendency to run, so put it on very sparingly, with multiple coats.
I'm please with it's durability, it's much harder than single pack polyurethane, it hasn't chipped and hasn't gone yellow with the UV.

lw395

Visit site
I think some people use a few coats of 2 pack gloss, then a single coat of 1 pack satin?

I've done this with 1 pack polyurethane gloss and satin on a kitchen table, I like the finish, kind of deep and clear rather than the opacity you get from many coats of matt or satin.

I used Johnstone's poly floor varnish on our cabin sole and steps, it's pretty tough but not 'crew proof'. Easy to touch up though.

jwilson

Visit site
I'm not a fan of two-pack varnishes unless you are absolutely totally certain that you will never ever have to revarnish the item/surface again.

One pack varnishes can at least be removed, with gentle heat, cabinet scraper etc, and very light sanding, or with paintstripper, and you can revarnish. Once you've had to remove large areas of two-pack on mixed solid wood trim and flat veneered surfaces you'll never use two-pack again.

Don't use multiple coats of satin, 4 or 5 or more coats of gloss first with just 1 or 2 of satin on top.

jaypea

Visit site
I'm not a fan of two-pack varnishes unless you are absolutely totally certain that you will never ever have to revarnish the item/surface again.

One pack varnishes can at least be removed, with gentle heat, cabinet scraper etc, and very light sanding, or with paintstripper, and you can revarnish. Once you've had to remove large areas of two-pack on mixed solid wood trim and flat veneered surfaces you'll never use two-pack again.

Don't use multiple coats of satin, 4 or 5 or more coats of gloss first with just 1 or 2 of satin on top.

+1
Used Hempel Dura-Satin as a single final coat on 5 coats of gloss. The teak surround on hatch entry to saloon had acquired some 'white' patches under previous ownership, stripped back to clean bare wood before starting with thinned coat of gloss varnish. I'm very pleased with the results. The satin goes a long way so unless you're doing the entire saloon, you'll only need the smaller tin.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Our 2007 Island Packet SP Cruiser has the internal wood made from a sustainable furniture hardwood as opposed to teak.

Yhe owners book gives the recipe for the attractive semi matt finish. It is very simple.

Gloss varnish thinned 50% with top quality white spirit.

I shall be redoing the table top sometime so I shall find out if it comes up as good as the factory done finish, which is very pleasing.

lw395

Visit site
Our 2007 Island Packet SP Cruiser has the internal wood made from a sustainable furniture hardwood as opposed to teak.

Yhe owners book gives the recipe for the attractive semi matt finish. It is very simple.

Gloss varnish thinned 50% with top quality white spirit.

I shall be redoing the table top sometime so I shall find out if it comes up as good as the factory done finish, which is very pleasing.
That has to be among the most ecologically unacceptable processes.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
That has to be among the most ecologically unacceptable processes.

Weather it is ecologically unaceptable or not, it is as I said, a pleasing hardwearing finish. It has lasted 13 seasons now before just the table fiddles need redoing.

The difference in what I posted and using any type of varnish is going to be of minimal ecological impact as the OP appears to be set on redoing the finish anyway.

I find your critisism strange.

We were discussing interior finishes, not the ecological impact.