interesting small boat in Cornwall

Sailingsaves

Visit site
So I am travelling in the beautiful West Country drumming up business and righting some wrongs and I saw this interesting boat.

Anyone know more?

Is it for a Jester Challenge?

It is in Looe, BUT up river of the bridge? (so have to lower mast to get to sea). Or does it only sail the river? Seems odd for such a buttoned up boat.

Seajet

Visit site
I suppose she could be for the Jester, as long as not aiming to win ! Then again look at ' Jester ' herself in both incarnations.

I don't know how easy it would be to raise and lower the mast - doesn't look like a doddle but that might be the photo - but an Anderson 22 with a keen sailor owner used to be based up-bridge at Looe, every time he went for a sail he had to lower the mast, under the bridge, raise mast, sail, then come back and do the same in reverse, then dock her in a floating cradle.

Takes a lot to put off a Cornish sailor !

prv

Visit site
I don't know how easy it would be to raise and lower the mast - doesn't look like a doddle but that might be the photo

Indeed - typical (there are exceptions) junk rig means no stays, so the mast has to be extremely sturdy and well-supported in its step and partners. Not at all conducive to easy lowering. Although I think I remember reading somewhere about an unstayed mast with a hinge in it a couple of feet above the deck - that hinge must be a hell of a piece of engineering!

an Anderson 22 with a keen sailor owner used to be based up-bridge at Looe, every time he went for a sail he had to lower the mast, under the bridge, raise mast, sail, then come back and do the same in reverse

There's a boat upriver from me, past the Northam Bridge, which does the same. Considerably bigger than 22 feet though - something like a 30-ish foot Moody! He anchors temporarily in the river just opposite my berth to whip the mast up and down, all on his own, using an A-frame over the foredeck and a winch on the mast. The first time I saw it I gave him a round of applause :)

Pete

clyst

Visit site
O
I suppose she could be for the Jester, as long as not aiming to win ! Then again look at ' Jester ' herself in both incarnations.

I don't know how easy it would be to raise and lower the mast - doesn't look like a doddle but that might be the photo - but an Anderson 22 with a keen sailor owner used to be based up-bridge at Looe, every time he went for a sail he had to lower the mast, under the bridge, raise mast, sail, then come back and do the same in reverse, then dock her in a floating cradle.

Takes a lot to put off a Cornish sailor !

Come on "Mavis" you know he means you !!

DownWest

Visit site
The Norwalk Island Sharpies have hinged unstayed masts and I saw a catboat at La Rochelle Show that had one too. Simple pin hinge with a sleeve .

prv

Visit site
The boat in the picture looks like a modified ship's lifeboat.

I thought the same for a moment, the wheelhouse aft looks just like the one on a totally-enclosed lifeboat. But on second thoughts I reckon it's just a visual similarity, and the superstructure is actually home-made on a yacht hull. The whole shape (both hull and superstructure, but especially the hull) is much finer than any lifeboat I've seen - and look at the keel aft, no lifeboat would ever have that.

Pete

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
I thought the same for a moment, the wheelhouse aft looks just like the one on a totally-enclosed lifeboat. But on second thoughts I reckon it's just a visual similarity, and the superstructure is actually home-made on a yacht hull. The whole shape (both hull and superstructure, but especially the hull) is much finer than any lifeboat I've seen - and look at the keel aft, no lifeboat would ever have that.

Pete

Agree about the keel not so sure about the hull and superstructure.

The pod arrangements front and back look very similar to what I have seen on some lifeboats on cruise ships.

prv

Visit site
Agree about the keel not so sure about the hull and superstructure.

The pod arrangements front and back look very similar to what I have seen on some lifeboats on cruise ships.

So you think someone took a ship's lifeboat, shortened it by at least ten feet, magically re-moulded the whole shape to be seakindly instead of a brick with slightly curved ends, and somehow grafted a wineglass section and long keel onto the underneath?
hmmmm.gif

Or perhaps they just built up a new Jester / MingMing style coachroof with a steering cupola at one end and an astrodome at the other?

Of course the result looks somewhat reminiscent of an enclosed lifeboat, they're both solving the same problem. That doesn't mean it started life as one.

Pete

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
So you think someone took a ship's lifeboat, shortened it by at least ten feet, magically re-moulded the whole shape to be seakindly instead of a brick with slightly curved ends, and somehow grafted a wineglass section and long keel onto the underneath?
hmmmm.gif

Or perhaps they just built up a new Jester / MingMing style coachroof with a steering cupola at one end and an astrodome at the other?

Of course the result looks somewhat reminiscent of an enclosed lifeboat, they're both solving the same problem. That doesn't mean it started life as one.

Pete

I have no strong thoughts or feelings on the subject.