Insurance Turmoil

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Following on from the previous posting regarding insurance. Have just received a renewal notice for the clubs dory from Berry Birch & Noble last year £80 this year £160. Is this increase of 100% a record? They say "At this time the insurance industry is in something of a turmoil the increase in premium whilst dramatic, is commensurate with existing uncertainties and we would recommend you accept the quotation".
I think we will be looking elsewhere.
Can you get insurance against insurance turmoil?
All the best
Trevor

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Trevor,

I'm afraid you don't hold the record and maybe I don't either! What I can tell you is that Haven Knox Johnston tried upping my premiums from £150 pa to £348 but they didn't get away with it.

Have you tried Euromarine Insurance Services, I got more cover for lower premium and paid £147 inspite of the fact that I have just renewed the outboard, doubling the value of my boat. You can get them on 01843 603441. They were also very helpful.

You could also try Navigators & General (I've no number) or St. Margarets on 0800 0180012.

Good luck.

G

I'd be interested to hear your views on Navigators and General, as they have just been recommended to me, and I've just got a (quite reasonable-sounding) quote from them. This explains why I am lurking about in insurance threads...

Any views on their service?

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Fruitbat,

I've never used them, but I got my info from the Motorboat forum and guys there say the price is right and service is good. Ditto St. Margarets. Both of these were the subject of favourable write ups in a lengthy string on that forum. I started the string with my new quote from Euromarine.

Cheers.

G

Thanks for this - very useful.
My insurance cover is for farting about, sorry I meant pleasure use on The Broads ;- ), so I'm not getting hit for too much

DanTribe

Visit site
Fruitbat
I was insured with Navigators[Eagle Star] for more than 20 years and found their service excellent, particularly following a large claim 10 years ago.
However, recently, following rationalisation, I got the feeling that I was dealing with a school leaver in a call centre who knew nothing about boats and cared less.
When I tried to insure my new boat, a Ufo, they said "no we don't touch them"
"Oh why not?"
"Cos it says so on my screen"
I then went to K C Powell & Ptnrs who seem to know & understand yachtsmans needs, mind you, my renewal is due soon. Ooh er!

yoda

Visit site
Try CraftInsure who only work on the internet. My shopping around found them to be cheaper than everybody except Saga (for the experienced out there well worth a look).

Regards

Yoda

G

If you are over a certain age try Saga.
I have racing risks, 12 months in commission, £7500 value, for £99.90. It is for inland waters.

G

try heath lambert inurance brokers on 01512274321 and ask for gareth jones.

i found their premium using CNA (ie lloyds) reasonable at 0.6% of hull value, and this included full length of the med (except obvious places like the lebanon) and also single handed night sailing if I'm daft enough to do it.

more to the point, I get great confidence from ringing them up and NOT being put through to a half trained bimbo with her mind on other things. they do at least seem to know what they are on about - rare today.

Visit site
But with CraftInsure when you read the small print of the policy itself the cover is not so good as the other ones being mentioned.
This put me off and I went for KnoxJohnston.