Insurance for 2016/15

G12

Visit site
Hi Chaps,

Thought I'd ask for some up to date opinions on a good insurer for the Azores Challenge in 2016. My current insurer are GJW and they have refused me cover for the trip. I currently have unlimited single handed with them in my usual UK, France and Southern Ireland areas, the boat is well found (I sold the Shipman 28 I was planning to take and have a lovely Vancouver 28 now) and most of my sailing for the last 5 years has been single handed. I've asked for clarification as to why they've flat out refused me cover and will keep you posted on what they say but for the mean time, who is everyone else using? I'm definitely not going without fully comprehensive insurance, you never know when you'll need it.

G.

I should add that my current policy with GJW is about to expire in May this year so if there's a better insurer then I would like to swap sooner rather than later.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Hi Chaps,

Thought I'd ask for some up to date opinions on a good insurer for the Azores Challenge in 2016. My current insurer are GJW and they have refused me cover for the trip. I currently have unlimited single handed with them in my usual UK, France and Southern Ireland areas, the boat is well found (I sold the Shipman 28 I was planning to take and have a lovely Vancouver 28 now) and most of my sailing for the last 5 years has been single handed. I've asked for clarification as to why they've flat out refused me cover and will keep you posted on what they say but for the mean time, who is everyone else using? I'm definitely not going without fully comprehensive insurance, you never know when you'll need it.

G.

I should add that my current policy with GJW is about to expire in May this year so if there's a better insurer then I would like to swap sooner rather than later.

I moved to Pantaenius a year ago because I wanted singlehanded sailing/racing without the restrictions that other companies were trying to impose. I did need to get a new survey done for them though.

thomd

Visit site
Hi Chaps,

G.

Hi.

I also have a Vancouver 28 and am insured with GJW on similar policy to you. I'm also looking to find coverage for singlehanding outside the UK, France, Southern Ireland regions. I was going to give Pantaenius a try.

You must be happy with your V28 they are great boats :)

G12

Visit site
I had an email back from GJW explaining their thoughts. Basically what I was asking for was outside their normal type of risk but if I stay with them and don't have any claims by 2016 then they will "Look more favourably" on my situation. I also had a PM from another forumite who says he'd got cover for the Jester from GJW which was 3rd party only at sea and then fully comp when in port at the other end so they have done it.

Thom, I have also read (only yesterday mind!) that Pantanius are better for single handed. I will definitely be asking them for a quote in May. I have also read that they have now scrapped their old policy wording on not paying for items over ten years old (or paying a reduced value) and have replaced it with a proper new for old which also suits me.
I am indeed very happy with my V28, she's perfect for what I want and I really love my time aboard, even if I'm not going anywhere or just doing those small boat jobs that never seem to end. She can certainly shift on for a small relatively porky (by modern standards) boat too when the wind gets up a bit. I've had some surprisingly good passage times from her.
Are you planning on doing any of the Jester events? I'd like to do the Baltimore this year but will have to go to work four days after the start. I thought I might do the same trip a couple of weeks beforehand by myself as I will have time then.