Installing new transducers in a boat already in the water

G

I need to replace the instrumentation in my boat which went back in the water a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately, the diameters of the log and depth transducers are a lot greater than the old ones, so the hull fittings have to be replaced also. I'd be grateful for any advice on how to do if without having the boat hauled out again - e.g.Quick- setting sealants, how long the job is likely to take &c.

G

If you are just installing a depth sounder and its a GRP hull, you can fit it on the inside without cutting any holes at all.

easier to show than discribe.

image available in the Nasa Instruments section of our website.

www.yachtbits.co.uk

G

Thanks, Kev. The trouble is that I've bought the kit already (Raytheon ST40) and the transducers have to be fitted from the outside!

G

I don't think you have any other option but to dry out. You don't have to be lifted out, just dry out on a low tide. If you fit the transducers, use Sikaflex to bed them in with. It skins quite quickly and will be watertight by the time you refloat.

regards, Philip

G

Dry out

I would say it's impossible to do it in the water. Even the old trick of standing 20 fat ladies on the foredeck isn't going to work here. Dry alongside a wall or posts. I would expect to refit two transducers comfortably between tides, but do one at a time just in case!

One problem you face is enlarging an existing hole with a hole cutter. You need to make up wooden blocks the size of the existing holes. Tap them in to each hole to give the pilot drill something to hold on to. Otherwise it's a simple job and Sikaflex will seal water immediately it has been applied.

G

Re: Dry out

Viv's right Brendon,

I would also advise having an assistant for this job. You need somebody to stop the transducers from turning while your tightening them with your large pipewrench.

I fitted a Simrad system last week. It came with rubber gaskets, so the Sikaflex was added inside the gasket just for a bit of extra security.

'To be sure to be sure,' as they say in Ireland.

Good Luck.

G

Re: Dry out

Thanks, all. I'll bite the bullet and dry .out

G

What are the old makes. They might be compatible with your new stuff. Old Stowe sounders should work with the new Simrad kit. And the later Stowe speed will work with new Simrad