Inshore Skipper????

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
My sister
bless her little cotton socks is in between city jobs and is on gardening leave till october.
She is off to Cairns.
Anyway she is going to the base of a yacht charter and school company who shall remain nameless. She loves sailing and can do a bit of helming, sail a dinghy etc. but wants to do more.
She wanted to her day skipper but i explained that she really should do the theory first as it will make the course more worthwhile.

The company has offered her a four day course she claims is inshore skipper which she believes to be rya recognised. when i told her it was not a proper day skipper she said it is inshore skipper and is recognised iin europe and they do some theory too.

Now i love my sis dearly she is great at her job, but get her outside the office and she tends to turn down her credulity radar.

Has anyone heard of this course? I know said comapny does a sort of 3 day skipper course at its europe bases. they then give you a certificate of competence with the company logo on it. It is not one of these.

Any comments???? Does this sound like a con.

You sail on the white bits, anchor on the blue bits, get drunk on the yellow bits

ccscott49

Visit site
Never heard of inshore skipper, do you mean Cairns as in Oz? They may well have all kinds of certificates, but it might be the equivalent of competent crew.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Yip its oz
should call it comp crew if it is mean't to be rya recognised tho'

You sail on the white bits, anchor on the blue bits, get drunk on the yellow bits

ccscott49

Visit site
Hey! we're talking Oz here, they can do whatever they want and are not shy of saying so!! Maybe your sis got it wrong and it is day skipper, but of course could be an equivalent etc.

bedouin

Visit site
Checking a few Oz sites, it seems that the "Inshore Skipper" is their version of the Day Skipper - although you couldn't do an RYA day skipper in 4 days. Saying it's "recognised in Europe" suggests that it might include an ICC - since that is the only "formal" qualification available at that level.

I can't see that it really matters - the qualification itself is of little practical benefit at that level and how much she learns will depend as much on the quality of the teaching as the syllabus being covered.

ccscott49

Visit site
Cairns is beautiful, I sialed there with my bruv, when he was sailing around the world and the rest of my family live in oz, the diving out of cairns on the reef is just out of this world!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Take your point entirely
I just did not wanting her paying over the odds for a course when what dshe really needs is a more comp crew type course.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
She is considering diving
but is scared about sharks

we have a friend whose uncle lived in oZ. He was attacked twice, never found the second time, so she is a wee bit nervous. I assume it is safe up there, i thought the corcs and jellyfish had killed all the sharks.

ccscott49

Visit site
Still quite a few around, but they seem to like men more, so she should be safe! The crocs don't get out that far, but the jelly fish, thats another story, for christ sake don't tell her, she'll never get in the water!! I never had a minutes problems with the sharks, after walking on water a few times, I just got used to them being around. The dive charters know where to go. It really is a wonderful spot of the planet and long may it remain so.

RobertMartin

Visit site
All right you silly people,

In Ozz we do :-
Intro to sailing -
compet crew
Inshore skipper
Offshore skipper
etc.

Inshore skipper means that you can charter a boat anywhere for a nice Holiday with grandma. They go through anchoring, safety, nav, heavy weather etc. It really means you can skipper a charter boat anywhere you like as long as you can see some land.. Its an easy step between sailing around sydney harbour and going offshore. In Ozz you HAVE to do Inshore before you get your offshore. Then again it may just be a nice way to make more money.

Bobby aka Seawolf..
Freedom is the song of your soul..

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Aaah right
okay
i still take it she should have some nav skills before doing it or is that also touched on?
that is the problem with colonials. You lose touch with the mother country and start getting it just not quite right. ;-)

Beer! Now there's a temporary solution.

RobertMartin

Visit site
I would have thought that she would have done some Nav in her comp crew course, but yes it does cover this. Ask if the course includes the theory part of the course, some schools do it as an extra ( eg more money!! BASTARDS.. ). If this is included then it is well worth doing it. And what better place to learn to sail, 30 degress days, 21 degress seas.... Life is hard over here......
Being British myself, I can tell you the weather far out ways the backways....

Bobby aka Seawolf..

RobertMartin

Visit site
Look up www.eastsail.com.au this is a sydney company, but they have to all the the same stuff.

Under courses they have skipper and offshore. Skipper is Inshore skipper and offshore is offshore skipper, there is also a list of things they do. Whatever happens she will have 4 days sailing in perfect conditions, come back brown and want to move to Australia.... hehe...

Bobby aka Seawolf..

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Interesting - it's four 3-hour lessons; no night sailing; I can't see any mention of navigation or pilotage training. It would certainly bring a competent dinghy sailor or yacht crew up to the ICC standard. Good fun, pleasant holiday, but I wouldn't rate it against doing Day Skipper as a course.

But I guess it leaves evenings free for the odd QLD