Inshore Racing Toolkit

Birdseye

Visit site
I find it difficult to imagine what repair requiring tools that you could do in the middle of a race and still figure in the chocolates. IMO, the answer isnt tools on board but good maintenance between races. Difficult to imagine what sailing kit could fail in a club race that wasnt already heading in that direction before the start.

The most likely issue in my experience is the engine giving problems on the way to the start or the way back. Only happened to me once and that was when I was daft enough to leave the shaft cover off in the aft cabin and a coat fell over the shaft during the race only to wrap itself round the shaft on starting the engine after the finish. There were other boats around to give a tow.

I certainly would never contemplate taking a winch to bits at sea for fear of losing bits over the side and ending with an even bigger problem. But as in everything, we all make our own choices.

awol

Visit site
This year the half-turn flat shackle on my mainsail tack decided to undo itself just before a race start - F4/F5. Mole grips and pliers reformed it while the cunningham and outhaul kept the main working - ended up 2nd in class with etched tumbler and voucher. Have fitted my spare tiller after the old one delaminated (crevice corrosion on through bolt) - needed screwdriver and 10m spanner - carried on racing but no coconuts that time. I've replaced a broken winch pawl between races, sewed batten pockets, etc. ...... but then I do carry my cruising tool kit all year. A big hammer is often useful!

Woodlouse

Visit site
I find it difficult to imagine what repair requiring tools that you could do in the middle of a race and still figure in the chocolates. IMO, the answer isnt tools on board but good maintenance between races. Difficult to imagine what sailing kit could fail in a club race that wasnt already heading in that direction before the start.

The most likely issue in my experience is the engine giving problems on the way to the start or the way back. Only happened to me once and that was when I was daft enough to leave the shaft cover off in the aft cabin and a coat fell over the shaft during the race only to wrap itself round the shaft on starting the engine after the finish. There were other boats around to give a tow.

I certainly would never contemplate taking a winch to bits at sea for fear of losing bits over the side and ending with an even bigger problem. But as in everything, we all make our own choices.
A lot of what you're fixing is preventative, such as finding loose fastenings and shackles and tightening them up before they fall out completely.

savageseadog

Visit site
I left out a hacksaw in my list, certainly a junior but possibly a standard hacksaw too. Some quick set epoxy as well.

I don't go along with the idea that you don't bother with repairs. I've done a few minor repairs between races now and again, I believe in self reliance at sea. If you were looking at a bare minimum, it would have to be tapes and water pump pliers..

Ingwe

Visit site
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is some normal kitchen size scissors which makes cutting tapes a lot easier, eg when doing a quick patch on a spinnaker.

Judders

Visit site
I work on the basis that hacksaw is safety equipment rather than a tool. Obviously it is a tool in the broader sense but it's in my safety box with the cutters, not the racing toolkit.

Judders

Visit site
Also, a snatch block can solve a world of pain when a winch breaks or a sheave fails. I have an aged but bulletproof snatchblock that has turned up handy in all sorts of situations, especially when we first had the boat. I would not go out without it.

olly_love

Visit site
We carry very little.

cross head screwdriver
flat screwdriver
adjustable spanner
set of allen keys (just the sizes we need)
hammer
hacksaw
decent pliers
split ring
ducttape.

we do carry the yanmar tool kit as it has all the right spanners.
We also carry a spare impeller and fuel filter. and some liquid gasket.

a reel of 2.5mm dyneema, (you can lash anything or repair anything with it)
spare high load harken block on a soft shackle

if things are breaking while racing then you are not really maintaining or choosing the right kit. Modern kit tends not to just let go, the working loads on blocks are alot higher and ropes dont just snap anymore.

we do have the advantage of all the kit on the boat being new or refitted in the last year. So tends not to break.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Trying to get organised for this seasons racing. Going to leave everything in the garage that isn't necessary to reduce weight.

Has anyone made a minimal racing toolkit list which they would like to share? 28 foot cruising yacht. Yanmar 1gm10.

Might seem a bit ott for club racing but I am going to run a nearly empty yacht. Makes it easier to organise anyway! At least I will know where everything is, ie in the garage!

Bolt croppers ... thats all!

Bolt croppers were the only tool on the NSC boat on which I did my YM practical course.