Inflatable keel floor or slats ?

splashman237

Visit site
Planning on buying a new Inflatable - need something that'll take two adults and three small dogs - guessing about 2.7m and a 2.3-2.5 outboard . Not planning winning any speed challenges, just for running ashore when cruising ( normally marina based) - what does the team advise ? slats or inflatable keel, Honwave, Waveline, Plastimo , Avon, - material Hypalon or PVC ?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We have a Bombard AX4 with inflateable floor. With a 3hp and one person, it'll plane(ish) and is quite large enough to accommodate 4 adults. Will roll up into a reasonably small bundle to stow. Easy to fit the deck into the dinghy and no trouble to stow it all. Also, no chance of a hard deck wearing away at the bottom of the tube.

Now, sits back to await shooting down by those who have slatted decks.....

mucklestone

Visit site
I do not know what make but I would advise an airdeck floor with keel if possible. They are a lot easier to stow, plane better and when it rains the water sinks below the air deck so your feet do not get wet.

Also, it is just my experience and I have not heard it said by anyone else, but I think they row better because the keel gives more direction stability.

I am sure others can advise on the make.....

Seajet

Visit site
Duncan is right, consider the deflated size; usually an inflatable floor will bundle up smaller.

If going for a dinghy with slats, lots of thin ones rolls up a lot smaller than a few big ones !

If stowage space is a snag, a round tail rolls up much smaller than a solid transom, but at the sizes quoted you'd be stuck with a solid transom anyway.

Hypalon fabric - and crucially large tube diameter - is preferable if you can get it, but with a hefty price penalty; probably worth it as one is stuck with a dinghy for years and it will be responsible for your lives...

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
An Avon Redcrest at 2.7m is just the job. For short runs ashore no need to worry about fast planing, especially with the dogs on board.

It rolls up very small, even with the inflatable deck inside, and the clip on transom can be stored separately.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Have a Honwave myself, they don't tend to roll up very small and they aren't light, but the inflatable keel/floor and large tube size make it a very safe and rowable/steerable dinghy. Mine is 2.4m and will easily take 3 peeps, I've had 4 in no problem and a Mercury3.5hp will JUST get on the plane one up and is ample power really.

gjgm

Visit site
Planning on buying a new Inflatable - need something that'll take two adults and three small dogs - guessing about 2.7m and a 2.3-2.5 outboard . Not planning winning any speed challenges, just for running ashore when cruising ( normally marina based) - what does the team advise ? slats or inflatable keel, Honwave, Waveline, Plastimo , Avon, - material Hypalon or PVC ?

Are you storing it inflated or not, because these things get large and heavy pretty quickly. I guess 2.5hp will move as large as 2.7m, but possibly not against the tide or in a river, and certainly, very slowly at best.
I would go inflated floor, and only as big as you really need, 2.4m probaby being the minimum.
Look for the bigger(not nec the biggest )tubes, as some cheapos have tiny tubes that I imagine equates to a pretty damp ride.
PVC will be fine. If you can wait til LIBS (if you go) it is a good time to see lots of them and decide where to place your bucks.
Tohatsu tender is pretty good for the money, well made, solid etc if you want to consider another brand. (Same factory as.. Plastimo, maybe,,, cant recall)

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Slats better for beaching.

Problem with the inflatable keel is that it does not run up the beach as well as a flat bottomed boat with slats. Have to get my feet wet or go ashore with wellies. I have a SEAGO with an inflatable keel and it does tow ok but think I would go for slats nest time.

KevB

Visit site
I'd recommend inflatable floor and keel for the reasons already stated: Any water goes under the floor not in between your toes and is more stable when under way.

paulplatts

Visit site
I have a Zodiac 280 fast roller which has an inflatable floor - keeps my feet dry and the bottom of the dinghy flat. This gives the dinghy the ability to plane well and with a 6HP engine that planes well.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I have a Waveline 2.9m with inflatable floor and V keel. Has been excellent for the last 6 years, inflatable floor is by far superior to slats, keep you dry, and rolls up easier and more flexible to put in the boot of my car.

Will plane with a 3.5 hp engine and will row better because of the V keel.

Hoolie

Visit site
I have a Waveline 2.9m with inflatable floor and V keel. Has been excellent for the last 6 years, inflatable floor is by far superior to slats, keep you dry, and rolls up easier and more flexible to put in the boot of my car.

Will plane with a 3.5 hp engine and will row better because of the V keel.
+1 but with an Excel 2.9m

ffiill

Visit site
Inflatable if you can-I have old slatted floor and it weighs a ton-as a result I have been wearing a support bandage on my knee for last three months-be warned!

millbeach

Visit site
Quick silver big tubes, and tough

Quick silver or other such inflatable.
Get biggest tubes you can.
I had a slatted floor, enables you to get right onto shore and keep feet dry.
I had 8ft Quick silver, best tender ever, ( till i lost it of Mersea Island, i still cry to this day:()

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
waveline 2.7 with inflatable floor - my 2HP suzuki 2 stroke pushes it fine but not planing

Takes 2 adults + 3 kids or 4 adults - sound like 3 dogs at once would work

Its a heavy package to lift on deck - If dogs are small I'd go one size down

Otherwise i'm with the pack.

Also coming into beach or slipway turn broadside at last minute and stern will going further in allowing woman and children to step off with dry feet.

Kelpie

Visit site
Just wondering if inflatable floor and *three small dogs* are an ideal mix? (thinking of punctures).

I don't think it's a problem as they are going to come into contact with the tubes anyway.
If the dogs are anywhere near as keen sailors as mine are, they will spend their time in the tender standing on the tubes in anticipation of imminent arrival at new shores.
I admit this proboably looks ridiculous to bystanders when I putter past with my golden retreiver cross stood on the tube of a 2.4m dinghy!