Improving Disabled Sailing - University Student Project

iainmfraser

Visit site
I am currently a student in my final year studying Product Design and Innovation at Strathclyde University. I am a very keen sailor myself so for my honours project I have decided to look into the way that disabled people interact with boats and hopefully be able to design significant improvements to enable disabled users to sail with ease.
I am looking to find a small focus group of disabled sailors so that I can gain some insight into the current problems that are faced when on a yacht. I would really appreciate any sort of feedback and opinions that people may have on the project and if you would like to be involved please feel free to private message me, any input is very helpful at this stage.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I am currently a student in my final year studying Product Design and Innovation at Strathclyde University. I am a very keen sailor myself so for my honours project I have decided to look into the way that disabled people interact with boats and hopefully be able to design significant improvements to enable disabled users to sail with ease.
I am looking to find a small focus group of disabled sailors so that I can gain some insight into the current problems that are faced when on a yacht. I would really appreciate any sort of feedback and opinions that people may have on the project and if you would like to be involved please feel free to private message me, any input is very helpful at this stage.

There is a disabled sailing group based at the Galloway Activity Centre on Loch Ken - they have recently moved from the Annandale Sailing Club at Lochmaben. Unfortunately I don't have their contact details, but I am sure that the centre would put you in touch - see www.lochken.co.uk.

They have three or four small monohulls and two or three trimarans, all made for wheelchair users.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yep an excellent much neglected project to get involved in.

Might I just say that a few years ago someone bought a couple of modified yachts onto the River Teign to publicise their efforts at providing yachts that those with disabilities could sail effectively, all looked very good, the helm and sheets were all re routed and a chair fitted centre in the cockpit. So singlehanded sailing was possible.
But from viewing the demonstrations given, it seemed to me that the most difficulty a sailor with mobility difficulties would encounter, was getting on board the adapted yacht on their own. No pontoons were supplied just working off a shingle beach with strong tide running past, not al all easy.
Anyways I wish you good fortune in your projects.

GrahamD

Visit site
It would be worth making contact with Dan Taylor, the Operations Manager of the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust. Earlier this year he wrote to Sailing Today commenting on how accessibility could be designed into yachts. Many of the young people who are supported by the Trust have significant impairments, both physical and cognitive, as a result of their illness or their treatment, so they have a wide range of experience in your area of study.

The Trust is based in Cowes but they also operate nationally, so may also be able to suggest possible members for your group. You can contact them through http://www.ellenmacarthurcancertrust.org/index.php

Good luck with your project

roblpm

Visit site
I love us! Loads of good advice. But Ian doesn't seem to have been back to say thanks and update us on his progress? Seems to happen a lot! I love the what boat threads that go on to hundreds of posts where the Original Poster never resurfaces!!

snowleopard

Visit site
I love us! Loads of good advice. But Ian doesn't seem to have been back to say thanks and update us on his progress? Seems to happen a lot! I love the what boat threads that go on to hundreds of posts where the Original Poster never resurfaces!!

I'm afraid this situation is common. Someone goes round and peppers forums but doesn't go back to follow up.

If the OP comes back he is welcome to contact me as I have been sailing and boating with disabled adults for the last 7 years. We have 3 adapted boats.

Birdseye

Visit site

Dont see how you can make much progress on this - it isnt a one solution suits all . There is a world of difference between the adaptions you would make for an able bodied but deaf sailor, for one wheelchair bound, or one with mental issues or one blind. Its a commendable objective but in your position I'd be inclined to try for something more commercial with a view to jobs after graduation. How about a new design of wind steering?