Impeller - Silicone Spray

upthesolent

Home Torrevieja, but currently Truck in Week. 4 F
Visit site
According to the Vetus manual, when replacing the impeller......

"the impeller should be lubricated with glycerin or a non-petroleum based lubricant such as a silicone spray before fitting it into the impeller housing"...........

Does anyone have a favourite product that they use for this job. Over here in Spain, I can get a silicone spray polish - the one you spray over plastic dashboards in cars - and wonder if that would be good enough.

Thanks,

christopherc

Visit site
I just watched the RYA/MCA sponsored DVD on deisel engine maintenance this morning. It recommends coating the impeller in washing up liquid to help slide it into place! Seems to do the trick.

tcm

Visit site
um i don't think silicone polish is the right stuff really tho probly wd matter. Secretly i think it perhaps utter bollx to put anything i when a ton of seawater is gonna tear past everytime the engine switched on. Should be ableto find silicone lubricant in chandlers? Useful for lubricating anything no resistantto petrolly stuff, plastics or rubber etc.

sarabande

Visit site
You need several years experience as a trainee, before being allowed to do washing-up on your own...

old_salt

Visit site
silicone lubricant/Grease in a tub/tube can be got at any plumbers merchants it is used for the new plastic piping systems and inserting O ring fittings.
Also from car accessory auto shops and Engineers
supply/merchants.
Hope this helps.

old_salt

Visit site
There is only one place for a Bloke to use the old fashioned "F" Green washing up soap thats in the garage/Workshop sink for washing parts /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif or in the car windscreen washer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif it the only one that doesn't breed in the bottle any of the new bio's end up with all sorts of stuff in there and it blocks up the jets. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2Tizwoz

Visit site
Some sailors find Olive Oyl satisfactory
popeyeolive_1.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And readily available in Spain

old_salt

Visit site
You will have some one suggesting Vaseline next. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Sorry I can't do a cartoon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

upthesolent

Home Torrevieja, but currently Truck in Week. 4 F
Visit site
Looks like the silicon spray is hardly worth it with the ease of using washing up liquid. And yes, thinking about it, olive oil would make sense in that it would not damage the impeller material. Thanks to all.

[ QUOTE ]
You will have some one suggesting Vaseline next. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Sorry I can't do a cartoon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Vaseline? Very rubber unfriendly (or so I am told). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

starboard

Visit site
Place a cable tie around it and squeeze the blades to conform to the shape of the houseing, as you push it into the houseing slide off the cable tie.

Paul.

Billjratt

Visit site
Is it rubber? That's from trees isn't it? All we want is to slip it in and let it spin until the sea arrives. Even W.U.L. will go hard and gunge the holes if left long enough before relaunch. (check the top of that funny shaped bottle under the sink.) Just a slight wipe of grease on the brass bit should do. See the pump manufacturers web pages to see what they're made of - pretty tough nowadays.

nealeb

Visit site
I was reading the article on impeller removal in YM this morning, and saw that oft-repeated piece of advice about making sure that all the vanes are pointing in the right direction before putting the new impeller back in. As a follow-up, you see all sorts of ideas about cable ties and so on to make sure that this happens.

Has anyone else tried the experiment of putting in the impeller with some vanes going the wrong way, and then turning the spindle? I did, a couple of times "in the early days". My experience was that it takes less than one turn of the spindle for the vanes to flop neatly over and point the right way with no obvious ill effects. After all, they are supposed to flex and one "flopover" in their lifetime can't reduce that lifetime by any measurable extent, surely?

Anyway, I always dob a bit of waterproof grease in the impeller housing 'cos that's what lives in the cockpit locker. Touching wood (easier on some boats than others...) the only impeller failures that I have seen in ten years or so were the 1GM problems a couple of times, well-documented elsewhere.

DaveS

Visit site
Yes, that's what I now do too! (After my first attempt when I very carefully inserting the impeller with all blades pointing in what turned out to be the wrong direction: a single revolution sorted it out!)