If you were going boat shopping where...

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
would you go...

I'm staying in Oxford tonight, but have a free day tomorrow to go boat shopping. I'm looking for a 32 foot, sadler, moody, westerly, rival, contessa. Keeping an open mind at this stage.

Question is, what would be the most efficient boat shopping journey that I could make.

I figured heading along the coast from Weymouth to Chichester. Currently just picking brokers out of apollo duck as I dont know any brokers down that way by name.

Is there a well trodden brokers route that I could take?

Any advice would be very welcome :)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
would you go...

I'm staying in Oxford tonight, but have a free day tomorrow to go boat shopping. I'm looking for a 32 foot, sadler, moody, westerly, rival, contessa. Keeping an open mind at this stage.

Question is, what would be the most efficient boat shopping journey that I could make.

I figured heading along the coast from Weymouth to Chichester. Currently just picking brokers out of apollo duck as I dont know any brokers down that way by name.

Is there a well trodden brokers route that I could take?

Any advice would be very welcome :)

I'd head straight for Hamble Point Marina. Most of the time it's like a used boat show.

maby

Visit site
Once you've done Hamble Point, if you have time, head up to Swanwick Marina and Deacons Boat Yard next door. Always lots there.

agree Deacons - probably the largest display of boats for sale in a single area. prices tend to be quite good too.

Skysail

Visit site
All the above are good. Its worth a look at yachtworld.com to narrow the field a bit. If you want a specific make, look at the owners websites www.moodyowners.net, westerly-owners.co.uk, etc, and talk to Jonic of this parish.

You are looking at a very wide range of styles of boats there, I would narrow that down too?

Tranona

Visit site
You could spend a week easily without seeing them all. If you are just tyre kicking then Hamble and Swanwick area probably has the highest concentration of boats. However the type you are looking for are not necessarily in the big yards as they are slipping off the big brokerage lists - a year's storage in Hamble Point would eat up 25% of the value of such boats.

So do the legwork on the web first if you are serious and then target boats that have potential.

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies, I mean't to reply when I got back and I blinked an 2 weeks have gone!

I went down to Deacons and Michael Schmidt (thanks for the recommendations), it was good to get inside a few boats and get a feeling for them. Using the web is a good starting point but nothing like poking around and feeling the boat.

Yep my selection was quite wide but I researched the relative merits of each one before going. Ask what 32ft boat should you buy to do a Atlantic crossing and the replies come back as 'you can do it in anything' So I've kept an open mind.

I've had to cross off the Nicholson 32 as I could barely stand up in it and my gf is taller than me, which is a shame as the one at deacons was BEAUTFIUL!!

Moody 31 mkii was nice, but it felt too nice, and that the more expensive boats felt too modern for my tastes (and pocket) and for the money I was happier with my boaty thats a 1/4 of the price.

Shall continue the search

and oodles of boats is a new site so looking forward checking out whats on there.

Thanks again

Tim

Last edited: