If you tow with a Land Rover

Bouba

Visit site
It's very convenient to have a Toyota nearby when you drive a Land Rover.

Means you can always get going - also to pick up parts for the LR :cool:
The problem with having another vehicle to buy spares for a LandRover with...is it’s depreciation due to high mileage

dunedin

Visit site
If you tow with a Land Rover you will most likely have the transmission shudder and fluctuating rev counter at some point as it gets older. If you do this is a very effective, easy and cheap DIY fix. It transformed my Disco
Do you ever think that rather than buying / running lots of old cars, buying one modern one might be better - more comfortable, more fun, more econo.ucal and more reliable?

Not necessarily your brand of choice, but my 3.0d X3 4x4 would probably tow anything you need, and is a lovely all year car for all purposes (Porsche Macan an alternative, but sadly too small in interior load length for boat cushions)

dunedin

Visit site
Of the miles driven in all 4x4's, how many % do you believe needs true 4x4, lock diffs and low-range gears?

I'd say <5% which of course covers the few needing it a lot and the lot not needing it at all.
Permanent 4x4 is very handy on some high performance cars, as puts the grip down better and safer, particularly when roads are slippy. Also useful for pulling boat up slipway or caravan out of muddy grass.
None of which needs diff locks (the computer software now does that anyway) or, if an automatic, any extra gears (most have at least 8 anyway these days).
Hence why a modern performance SUV with permanent 4x4 can be an everything car.

Of course wheels and tyres matter a lot - Range Rovers on silly wheels and tyres will get bogged down where a 2CV would be fine. But farmers actually going off road use pick ups not Land Rovers these days

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It’s quite possible that Bigpum’s gearbox wasn’t filled with the correct oil in the first place....possibly not even transmission oil
Quite possible also that you haven't got a clue. The day I take advice off someone that bought a Tesla will be a day indeed

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
He won’t listen because he is always right. These posts aren’t for discussion, just to add views to his YouTube channel.
Or to help people who might have the same issue and want a simple, Quick, cost effective and easy solution

Bigplumbs

Visit site
As a mechanic of 30 odd years, I can tell you hand on heart gearbox oil should stay clean for a very long time, what you have is black, black means things are breaking down or/and the oil has never been changed.
LR say gearbox oil is good for 110k, LR are full of sh**, ZF who make the box say 50/60k max.
Who said I wasnt going to change it. Did you actually read my posts. Garages and Mechanics love to spout this sort of stuff..... Keeps them in work and overcharging people

lynallbel

Visit site
Who said I wasnt going to change it. Did you actually read my posts. Garages and Mechanics love to spout this sort of stuff..... Keeps them in work and overcharging people
Did you say you were going to change it?

Oil is cheap, engines and gearboxes are not, keep it long enough and you will find out.

In the old days we called them bar stool mechanics, now they are on the web.

lynallbel

Visit site
I do wonder about these snake oil products. This one claims to be be for torque converters, and yet it seems you are using it in a manual gear box. The oil is probably just a higher viscosity ATF product. If it compromises long-term heat resistance, thermal stability, and frictional/load characteristics, you can muck up the gearbox permanently. I suspect the appeal is your "easy and cheap DIY" fix.

BTW, the name of the maker is LAND ROVER , not the rather affected "Land Drover".
The oil for modern autos is very specific.
Lr 4 speeds take atf which is red, 6 speed take a different oil which is straw coloured, later 8 speed take a different oil again straw coloured, not sure what the latest stuff uses.

Mercs were atf, the amg models used a special auto oil, pretty pricey Iirc.

The days of any old oil are long gone, especially the likes of ford and their wet belts.

WoodyP

Visit site
You obviously did not read my post
I did. The obvious defect in your post is that you are recommending something that is cheap and quick and a bodge. What l am politely showing you is something that is quick and effective. I wasn't going to comment but others already pointed out the colour of the gearbox oil. Your solution is propping up a dead horse and probably leading to a terminal fault that will be expensive.
Carry on, l am out on this, and any other of your posts.

Bouba

Visit site
I did. The obvious defect in your post is that you are recommending something that is cheap and quick and a bodge. What l am politely showing you is something that is quick and effective. I wasn't going to comment but others already pointed out the colour of the gearbox oil. Your solution is propping up a dead horse and probably leading to a terminal fault that will be expensive.
Carry on, l am out on this, and any other of your posts.
You are missing the point....BigPlums only posts so he can attack everybody that replies

Seastoke

Visit site
I think he has some good pointe and help , his problem is that his wife is well his listener , and must obey what he says , which is great . I think he contributes a lot to the forum and would not want to lose him .

Alicatt

Visit site
Well I'm off to the local independent Landrover dealer this morning to get a new key programmed for the car, one key died and won't unlock the car, the other only locks it intermittently.
Those keys are short lived, 18 years since the car was new.

Bouba

Visit site
Well I'm off to the local independent Landrover dealer this morning to get a new key programmed for the car, one key died and won't unlock the car, the other only locks it intermittently.
Those keys are short lived, 18 years since the car was new.
Which car are you taking ?

Other threads that may be of interest