If only somebody had listened !!!

mikewilkes

Visit site
A friend of mine from across the pond sent me this. I make no apologies for posting it because it made me think that because of things like this I live on my boat.

It was 1987 when Oliver North was testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

He was being grilled by a senator; “ Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?”

North replied, “ Yes, I did, Sir.”

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, “ Isn’t that just a little excessive?”

“ No, sir,” continued North.

“ No? And why not?” the senator asked.

“ Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir.”

“ Threatened? By whom?” the senator questioned.

“ By a terrorist, sir” North answered.

“ Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?”

“ His name is Osama bin Laden, sir” North replied

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn’t
pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn’t. A couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued. “ Why are you so afraid of this man?”

“ Because, sir , he is the most evil person alive that I know of”, North answered.

“ And what do you recommend we do about him?” asked the senator.

“ Well , sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth.”

The senator disagreed with this approach.

The senator’s name was Al Gore

Also

Terrorist pilot Mohammad Atta blew up a bus in Israel in 1986. The Israelis captured, tried and imprisoned him. As part of the Oslo agreement with the Palestinians in 1993, Israel had to agree to release so-called “ political prisoners.”

However, The Israelis would not release any with blood on their hands. The American President at the time, Bill Clinton, and his Secretary of State, Warren Christopher, “ insisted” that all prisoners be released.

Thus Mohammad Atta was freed and eventually thanked the US by flying an airplane into Tower One of the World Trade Center.

This was reported by many of the American TV networks at the time the terrorists were first identified. It was censored in the US from all later reports.

Mike

BrendanS

Visit site
Hoax

This has been doing the round for ages, and is a hoax

If you want verification, go to google, then paste in "It was 1987 when Oliver North was testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration"

You'll see no end of anti hoax sites quoting this email.

Of course, if you are seriously paranoid, you'll tell me that these are all US government sites which are aimed at controlling leaks.

mikewilkes

Visit site
Re: Hoax

Paranoid.

Having lived and worked in the eastern med for quite a while and experience airport security in probably the only place in the world where they know what they are talking about, then perhaps cautious is the work.

It was posted as a bit of a thought provoker so I will give you another little taster. I had to see British Airport Security first hand last month and that was a complete joke. The x ray machine was manned by one man who besides looking at the screen to check baggage, was engaged in conversation with the noe putting it in and the one taking it out. The baggage also went through nearly as quick as I could walk to the other side of the machine.
When done in another place the baggage goes in the machine and stops for a few minutes whilst at least 4 people look at the screen. When they are eventually satisfied it comes out and laptops are always started up at the other end.

You have quite adamantly stated it is a hoax, just bear this in mind that they use to say the earth was flat, until the RYA said otherwise!!!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

I think you'll find that airport X-ray machines, and many other such facilities, rely upon image analysis techniques for primary identification of suspicious objects, with human eyesight as a secondary and verification backup.

JohnR

Visit site

On a couple of recent trips I have had the chance to look at tool boxes going through the special screening and I am amazed at the image especially when I recognised a little gas burner I had forgotten was in there - and prayed that the security guy didn't spot it - he did, but let it through.

mikewilkes

Visit site

As regards efficiencey of the machine or its operators the the record of the countries national airline is second to none. I also know which airport I feel safest to leave from!!

Reap

Visit site

I flew East Midlands to Geneva recently, I had no hand luggage but followed the queue through the metal detector, as I approached the man doing the metal detector body sweep expecting my turn he asked me 'did you set the alarm off sir?'
I answered truthfullly 'No'
To which he waived me by.
Now if I had been carrying something I shouldn't of what answer exactly did he think I would give?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>

kgi

Visit site

having come through that airport just recently at first i was surprised by the "apparent" lack of security. so i took a seat for an hour and just watched, the securities there, a lot of it is very discreet, i watched one of the guys on the metaldetectors, and when some one walked through and the alarm went off, he did a body search, it was very thorough and i would say he was probably trained by the MOD, it was just the way he rolled the cuffs of your shirt, the collar, hollow of the back, armpits, shoes, seams on trousers, belt etc, i was quite impressed, after all just because you can't see the security doesn't mean its not there......keith

<hr width=100% size=1>