IamA Deckhand on a Private Superyacht. AMA!!!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There is no point in asking her anything, as the superyacht businesses’ code of omertà applies ... She has never disposed of the body of a Russian dancing girl

Mandy Rice-Davies may apply, of course, but it sounds as if you know her well enough to be confident.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Knock yourself out (after you've paid for your ticket of course)... https://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/visit/

I've done it, and it's an excellent way of spending a couple of hours. The biggest surprise to me was the contrast between the simplicity of the royal accommodation - austere but beuatifully designed fifties style - and the pomp and splendour of the wardroom. Naval officers seem to live much grander lives than Brenda and the family.

It was also interesting but depressing to learn that the RM bandsmen on board had twenty seven different uniforms. Does any other country go in for this sort of elaborate nonsense?

Poignard

Visit site
I've done it, and it's an excellent way of spending a couple of hours. The biggest surprise to me was the contrast between the simplicity of the royal accommodation - austere but beuatifully designed fifties style - and the pomp and splendour of the wardroom. Naval officers seem to live much grander lives than Brenda and the family.

It was also interesting but depressing to learn that the RM bandsmen on board had twenty seven different uniforms. Does any other country go in for this sort of elaborate nonsense?

Can you get to see the machinery? I would enjoy that more than the symbols of flummery.

robertj

Visit site
I live and work on a superyacht that goes all over the world, making a living for myself and traveling to places everyone wants to go!

i know an ex skipper of a super yacht who worked for a German billionaire for 18yrs.
The Owner didn't know anything about him, if he was married or had children, where he lived etc etc etc.
Remember that and make the money while you can and have fun while your in his possession.

sails_02

Visit site
1. How are tips split between the crew?

2. Does the boat pay for your medical insurance?

3. What qualifications do you hold?

4. How long will it take you to progress from the position of "Deckhand"

Haven't seen our OP, so I'll have a go on these ones.

1 - Typically evenly, captain's discretion on smaller boats.
(Speaking super yachts so 50m boat, $300k per week charter excluding fuel, crew of 10, tips at $1-2k per person per week, with a couple of months charter per year).

2 - Yes, more so recently, as the "industry" has become much more regulated, and crews are generally treated well and cared for.

3 - You can start with nothing but good luck and time "walking the docks".
STCW95 helps but only required for charters (there are lots of private yachts). The only other ticket worth pursuing really is Yachtmaster, and that is a sure ticket to getting started (but still mostly at the bottom, where you will become an expert in cleaning & guest management).

4 - With YM you can move quite quickly through to Bosun, then do Officer of the Watch (expensive and time consuming) to become Mate.

All the above varies greatly across the categories of sail/motor & big-super-mega-giga-yachts.

The locations visited are typically great and the time off is decent, so you can see quite a bit of the world in between contracts, and your expenses while working are zero, and tax can be quite low.

I'd think about it again on a private 100ft sailing yacht that races, but the rest is pure boredom and over exposure to the worst of opulence.

Last edited: