IamA Deckhand on a Private Superyacht. AMA!!!

rickkumar

Visit site
I live and work on a superyacht that goes all over the world, making a living for myself and traveling to places everyone wants to go!

Poignard

Visit site
I live and work on a superyacht that goes all over the world, making a living for myself and traveling to places everyone wants to go!

Well done Rick. I hope you have found your dream job.

Unlike you, I spent a large part of my life as an engineer on bulk carriers travelling to places nobody wants to go to! :)

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I have a friend who is a deckhand on one of the biggest. I would say “an old friend” except that she is young enough to be my daughter so to avoid any misunderstandings we decided to make her an honorary daughter and hon. Elder Sister to my own children, who are all boys and needed keeping in order.She started out as a stewardess, got interested in the deck side, did a zero to hero YM course in Britain, added the Ocean bit and the Commercial Endorsements and transferred to deck side. So much so that she sent me a snap of herself tank diving in a hard hat and a boiler suit last week.

There is no point in asking her anything, as the superyacht businesses’ code of omertà applies, apart from a couple of titbits such as the fact that Lewis Hamilton is a perfectly nice bloke and Laura Bush goes for a long swim every day. She has never disposed of the body of a Russian dancing girl, though back when she was a stewardess the Russian dancing girls hired by one Middle Eastern charterer were so dire and so overpaid that the stewardesses all joked that they could do better.

Ambition - the Mate’s job. Has been to plenty of Exotic Places but reckons the showers at the Berthon are the best anywhere. Her idea of a holiday is to go sailing in Northern Europe, preferably in winter.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I have a friend who is a deckhand on one of the biggest. I would say “an old friend” except that she is young enough to be my daughter so to avoid any misunderstandings we decided to make her an honorary daughter and hon. Elder Sister to my own children, who are all boys and needed keeping in order.She started out as a stewardess, got interested in the deck side, did a zero to hero YM course in Britain, added the Ocean bit and the Commercial Endorsements and transferred to deck side. So much so that she sent me a snap of herself tank diving in a hard hat and a boiler suit last week.

There is no point in asking her anything, as the superyacht businesses’ code of omertà applies, apart from a couple of titbits such as the fact that Lewis Hamilton is a perfectly nice bloke and Laura Bush goes for a long swim every day. She has never disposed of the body of a Russian dancing girl, though back when she was a stewardess the Russian dancing girls hired by one Middle Eastern charterer were so dire and so overpaid that the stewardesses all joked that they could do better.

Ambition - the Mate’s job. Has been to plenty of Exotic Places but reckons the showers at the Berthon are the best anywhere. Her idea of a holiday is to go sailing in Northern Europe, preferably in winter.

Echoes of lots of my experience. A few years ago and fresh out of the Andrew Mrs M asked if I was tempted to take one of the jobs I was offered skippering a superyacht (lots of money etc). Not on your life. I’m very happy with mine and the sordid tales about the role of the Captain in some charter work is not my thing. I’m not in the least bit prudish but I refuse to put myself in a position where I might have to pimp for the guests. I quote from a guest to one charter skipper I knew, “This girls broken/not cooperating; find me another one...”

The ideal is a caring family who own the boat, don’t charter, respect you etc. They’re not that common.

lw395

Visit site

Good for you!
And welcome to the forum.
As an amateur, I think it's always good to hear from different people in the trade.
A few people I know have worked as pro's on yachts, but I suspect most people on this forum are older and settled down now?

Uricanejack

Visit site
Echoes of lots of my experience. A few years ago and fresh out of the Andrew Mrs M asked if I was tempted to take one of the jobs I was offered skippering a superyacht (lots of money etc). Not on your life. I’m very happy with mine and the sordid tales about the role of the Captain in some charter work is not my thing. I’m not in the least bit prudish but I refuse to put myself in a position where I might have to pimp for the guests. I quote from a guest to one charter skipper I knew, “This girls broken/not cooperating; find me another one...”

The ideal is a caring family who own the boat, don’t charter, respect you etc. They’re not that common.

I don’t have any experience.
Just a few friends who have worked on a few some of which charter and some which don’t.
As per the Omerta most names are with held.
Of the stories I have heard pimping isn’t on the list. Perhalps it’s not something a gentleman tells stories about.

Most say it was interesting. They learned a lot. Job security not existent.

I see quite a a few heading to or from Alaska. Stopping near a pub where I occasionally enjoy a quiet IPA.
Ussualy while I am relaxing. I can see the owners or guests relaxing.
Mean while. The crew area out polishing the boat. So if you like polishing very big very shiny boats it great.

Sounds like fun for a while when you are young.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I don’t have any experience.
Just a few friends who have worked on a few some of which charter and some which don’t.
As per the Omerta most names are with held.
Of the stories I have heard pimping isn’t on the list. Perhalps it’s not something a gentleman tells stories about.

Most say it was interesting. They learned a lot. Job security not existent.

I see quite a a few heading to or from Alaska. Stopping near a pub where I occasionally enjoy a quiet IPA.
Ussualy while I am relaxing. I can see the owners or guests relaxing.
Mean while. The crew area out polishing the boat. So if you like polishing very big very shiny boats it great.

Sounds like fun for a while when you are young.

Not for nothing is a deck hand called a chamois technician.

With the right boat and the right owner it can be well paid and great fun.

With a boat in charter, some of the charter guests can be beyond sleazy. And some are spoiled overgrown brats who don't earn anyone's respect.

You are correct regarding job security. There is none.

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Agree on the job security.

I bullied my honorary daughter into joining my own Union (Nautilus) by giving her the annual sub. as a birthday present. Nautilus have a super yacht crew section. She did have a sticky patch when against my advice she took the Mate’s job on a Feadship, owned in East Asia, where the standards of ship husbandry and navigation were not hers, but she was able to get back into the mainstream. Lesson learned!

Seven Spades

Visit site
1. How are tips split between the crew?

2. Does the boat pay for your medical insurance?

3. What qualifications do you hold?

4. How long will it take you to progress from the position of "Deckhand"