I know it's credit crunch and all that but,

epervier

Visit site
I know it\'s credit crunch and all that but,

is it really that bad we're exporting all our cruisers to Johny Foreigner? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

leaving Southampton 1730 this afternoon

034.jpg

Chill

Visit site
Re: I know it\'s credit crunch and all that but,

We were looking at a boat at Inwards and sales chap was quite concered that so many boats were being sold abroad there would be none left for us Brits..
Chill

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
sales chap was quite concered that so many boats were being sold abroad there would be none left for us Brits..

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AndieMac

Visit site

i don't think they are going very far, pound is still pretty strong out here! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Who

Visit site

I put my boat on EBay just to see what would happen.

I had calls from Sweden, Germany Ireland and Malta.

The lady in Malta thought she was going to tow it behind a car across Europe. It was 9' 9" beam and there was no way that was going to happen. I guess in Malta they just do that without thinking of laws etc.

Another chap in Norway, wanted to take it across the North Sea and wondered what he needed to do. With twin Petrol's...... that's never going to make it.

Sold in once to a chap in Scotland, but that fell out of bed. Sent me a text to say he did not want it anymore, even though deposit paid. Never even got to a survey.

I had loads of calls from UK and Europe. EBay was the best value £27 spent on advertising.

Sold it after 3 weeks to a chap in Brighton. Which is where I bought it from a year earlier.

If I had not sold it to him, the Lady in Malta was determined to buy it.

So the answer is yes, boats are generally going overseas. Mine almost did.

New boat arrives on Wednesday all ready for the Bank Holiday weekend /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

[ QUOTE ]
it is true
the weak £ jas given massive boost and help and to the UK builders in these difficult times....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true but, even so, British builders have made hundreds of redundancies recently. A weak Pound helps them but only if there is a market and, at the moment, there is hardly a market

ari

Visit site

Bear in mind that they buy a lot of expensive gear (such as engines) from abroad too, so it works both ways for them...

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yup thats correct

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

That's true, but I wouldn't think more than a third of the cost of a new boat is bought in materials, so they still gain on the other two thirds of the cost.

AndieMac

Visit site

At the end of the day, the British boats are well supported in their own country.
The local boaters appear to be brand loyal, with good reason.
What ever happens over the next year or two will be for survival purposes, and the companies should grow stronger and better with the experience.

Renegade_Master

Visit site

Interestingly did you read the passage in last months MBY regarding "Spanish boat heavan tax hell" similar title anyway.

If the Spanish did change their rule such that they applied the 183/ 6 months rule to boats instead of people then, thats it.... they would loose all foreign boats IMHO.

Imagine say you had ordered a nice new 60ft plus Princess, Fairline or SS, say £1million plus and once finished you cruised her out to Spain to a berth you owned, only to find that if she stayed more than 6 months you would be hit with 12% mat tax?

Does not bare thinking about. I imagine a lot of the order books for the manufacturers I quoted are destine for foreign shores and a number of them Spain

Either the orders would be cancelled thus effecting the Brit boat industry, or the owners would redirect them to other countries.

AndieMac

Visit site

I remember there was a fair bit of potential stress on that issue previously.
Was it something to do with the Spanish government missing out on potential tax revenue, as they would receive if a holidaying Brit bought and owned, say a villa ashore?

Can a new boat owner get a vessel out of the country without paying VAT?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I read that with interest but I'm still confused as to how the Spanish authorities value a boat on which to charge their 12% matriculation tax. The article seemed to suggest that there was some kind of table or book which was used to calculate a value and that the resulting figure would be substantially less than the actual value leading to a relatively modest tax charge. I find it hard to believe that the Spanish authorities would knowingly under value a boat
Is there any sign of the dreaded matriculation tax down on the Costa del Sol, Clive? No sign in the Balearics as yet but any sniff of it and I'm off somewhere else

Renegade_Master

Visit site

Hi Deleted User indeed they do have a book and computer software to calculate the mat tax. From the age and size they apply first a tax to the hull then a figure for first 50hp of each engine then calculate after the first 50hp up to engine size. It follow then that the smaller the engines in same size hull the less.

When we paid mat on the F36, the value at the time I guessed was about 125k sterling the mat tax was 11.5k euros.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

[ QUOTE ]
When we paid mat on the F36, the value at the time I guessed was about 125k sterling the mat tax was 11.5k euros

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly peanuts then. MBM article suggested the tax was relatively modest

Mike_S

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I had calls from Sweden, Germany Ireland and Malta.

So the answer is yes, boats are generally going overseas. Mine almost did.

New boat arrives on Wednesday all ready for the Bank Holiday weekend /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally got round to listing our boat at the beginning of last week, with boatsandoutboards & apolloduck. I've had 10 enquiries, 6 from the UK the rest from overseas. Had one viewing last week from a local couple who want to tow it down to Greece with 2 others wanting to come and see it once I put it back in the water at the weekend. Hadn't expected this much interest to be fair !

jfm

Visit site

I think that ship is Anjeliersgracht, the one mine went to Genoa on last month. It's now docked in Zeeland. Then it is going to Gdansk, presumably to pick up Galeons, thence on to Sweden or somewhere I guess?

Renegade_Master

Visit site

One guy I know got sussed when he stopped in Palma, he niavely produced his residencia card for ID instead of his passport when he checked in overnight. Thats all it takes. Had he produced is passport they would not have clocked him.

He could not leave Mallorca until he had paid a large amount of mat tax.

He retruned to Duquesa, and the Junta de Andalucia looked at what he had paid, said hmm we reckon that is not enough, charged him a further amnount plus a fine for not declaring it, then went hmm, how long you been a resident?..... 4 years ah yes fine for not dclaring it earlier.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Interesting. Who would have stopped him in Palma? Guardia Civile? What else would they ask for? I've never been stopped in 5 yrs in Palma. Praps I've got an honest face