I have come to the conclusion that I need an old mans boat

sealegsjim

Visit site
I am nearly your age and have just bought a new Beneteau Oceanis 31 with lift keel and in mast furling. It sails beautifully and I and my wife love it. It is very light and airy inside and has all the bangs and whistles.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think the size of the boat is critical to its manageability so much as how well it's gear works. My HR34 is not too large for my decrepit self and my wife with wonky pins to manage, and the bulk of the sailing I do myself. This is because all the running gear is well-specified and in good order. To be honest, I avoid short-tacking in rivers and the boat is not handy enough to make this a pleasure, but this is made up for by being relaxing to sail, even at my 75 yrs.

I have sailed much smaller boats which were hard work to sail. The worst was a friend's Trapper 501 bilge which was heavy on the helm and none of the lines ran smoothly and the winches and clutches were a nightmare. I don't think this would necessarily be typical of the marque.

RupertW

Visit site
I hope I'll have enough money for a catamaran when I start to worry about my strength and mobility. Something stable to sail, move around in, and get on and off, and with two engines spaced widely apart for tight manouvering. I suppose I will want electric winches although I'm not keen now.

drakes drum

Visit site
What is so special about your sailing area that you need a lifting or bilge keel?

Home is bristol and thinking I might sail from portishead rather than just st mawes as currently. Few all tide ports in the bristol channel. Most places dry. But in any case the more interesting little places in cornwall and devon dry too. And in n france.

If you dont race I cant understand why you would ever have a fin

Spice Cat

Visit site
I have mobility issues and most important to me is to have a cabin and a cockpit that are on the same level so I do not have to climb a ladder every time I go from the cockpit to the cabin.
I have an old Cat. If you wanted a newer one then there is the Gemini. Built by the guy that built the Telstars in the 70's.

johnalison

Visit site
I have mobility issues and most important to me is to have a cabin and a cockpit that are on the same level so I do not have to climb a ladder every time I go from the cockpit to the cabin.
That's a fair point and one of the problems with centre cockpits. Of my boats, the Mystere and my current HR34 were the easiest to enter. The downside of my HR is that there is no bridge deck and an ocean passage would need the lower hatch board to be fixed in place. The Sadler 29 was OK once you had learned how to rotate on the way down the offset steps. A low freeboard is part of the same equation.

mawm

Visit site
Pity about the need to have bilge keels because the new Hanse 315 at £53 000 with a self tacking jib might have fitted the bill.

Goldie

Visit site
Looks interesting - but none have been sold yet and it is very pricy at around £130k.

So on the same theme, how about a Legend 33 like http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/Hunter-Legend-33-Bilge-Keel-2853360/Hamble-River/United-Kingdom

Bilge Keel, in-mast furling and coppercoated so no annual A/F and some change from your budget too! I know this boat and she has been VERY little used.

Edit: Sorry - missed the bit about self tacking jib. I don't know on this boat.

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
So on the same theme, how about a Legend 33 like http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/Hunter-Legend-33-Bilge-Keel-2853360/Hamble-River/United-Kingdom

Bilge Keel, in-mast furling and coppercoated so no annual A/F and some change from your budget too! I know this boat and she has been VERY little used.

The three-point rig really wants a downwind sail though, as the spreaders are swept quite far back. Other than that, I quite like the American Hunters, and from what a salesperson at the last boat show told me, they fought long and hard for the bilge keel option specifically for the UK market. Must appreciate that.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I appreciate posters willing to help but some of the boats suggested are old not newish. And few are take to the ground.

Basic spec is:

Self tacking
Take to ground
About 30ft
Decent side decks
Amost new ie < 5 years

RM890 would be my choice, and ticks almost all the boxes (although a self tacking jib isn't on the option list it might be possible to fit one)...however the sheet winches are in such a good position at a sensible height that using them is a breeze. If that all gets too much I'd specify Pontos trimmers instead of the lewmar 40ST and you'll be able to sheet in anything - albeit it at a very high gear ratio.

She's a bit basic, but she's a light boat that's easily handled and the cockpit is laid out for short-handed sailing – you can winch and tend sheets and still keep a hand on the tiller for example.

proof24432-rm890-gsp,galerieGammeRM,802,image1,fr1436195019,L1200.jpg

But you'll have to wait until the Nov issue to find out what I thought about her.

Here's a high res 360º of the interior – what's high res? zoom in and find out ;0)
http://grahamsnook.com/ym/rm890

Last edited:

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
RM890 would be my choice, and ticks almost all the boxes (although a self tacking jib isn't on the option list it might be possible to fit one)...however the sheet winches are in such a good position at a sensible height that using them is a breeze. If that all gets too much I'd specify Pontos trimmers instead of the lewmar 40ST and you'll be able to sheet in anything - albeit it at a very high gear ratio.

She's a bit basic, but she's a light boat that's easily handled and the cockpit is laid out for short-handed sailing – you can winch and tend sheets and still keep a hand on the tiller for example.

But you'll have to wait until the Nov issue to find out what I thought about her.

Here's a high res 360º of the interior – what's high res? zoom in and find out ;0)
http://grahamsnook.com/ym/rm890
Ah yes - you can see all the grubby fingerprints :rolleyes: ;)

grubby-RM890.jpg