I got a spare keel in my Jeanneau.

FullCircle

Visit site
Those who know me well will know that this is the time of year that I dismantle Full Circle.
Well, this year is no exception, and I have whistled up the cabinet maker, as I want to liberate more locker space behind the starboard saloon cushions. Amongst many other little jobs to keep him busy.

So, Anthony and I looked at the job, decided where to put the new holes and locker floors, and off he went. I set about removing that whole panel, and find another Jeanneau bodge in the way the uprights are held into the furniture, ao I levered that out of the way too.

Imagine my puzzlement, the surprise, then a wry grin, followed by a belly laugh when I found 2 effin great lumps of lead bolted to the underside of the hull reinforcing frame just under the shelving!!!!
There must be 50kgs bolted up there at least. Enough for a keel add on.......
I presume these are to balance some weight on the port side.

Therefore, I have added to the jobs list.
1) remove lead blocks and take them to the totters to be weighed and cashed
2) Put a minimum 50 litre water tank in the hole in that locker area.

Ho hum, next winters job list is added to already.

sarabande

Visit site
they are there to shield the radiation from the micro-nuclear plant masquerading as the pressure pump.

Or, before scrapping them, scrape the surface to check if someone has been smuggling gold using your boat as a mule.

Heckler

Visit site
Those who know me well will know that this is the time of year that I dismantle Full Circle.
Well, this year is no exception, and I have whistled up the cabinet maker, as I want to liberate more locker space behind the starboard saloon cushions. Amongst many other little jobs to keep him busy.

So, Anthony and I looked at the job, decided where to put the new holes and locker floors, and off he went. I set about removing that whole panel, and find another Jeanneau bodge in the way the uprights are held into the furniture, ao I levered that out of the way too.

Imagine my puzzlement, the surprise, then a wry grin, followed by a belly laugh when I found 2 effin great lumps of lead bolted to the underside of the hull reinforcing frame just under the shelving!!!!

My Bene 381 has the same bolted to the stbd side, same idea, balance the boat to make it look right. Trouble is when the water tanks are empty they look cock eyed!
Stu

Paul_G

Visit site
It always surprised me that Bagley's books were not filmed. Several looked naturals for the screen. Or did I miss them?

The Freedom Trap was filmed as the Macintosh man and starred Paul Newman, although they didn't do he book justice IMO

jwilson

Visit site

On mine (fin keel version) it's a thumping great block of concrete up. under the gunwale Maybe the lift keel version needs even more weight to balance the port water tank

FullCircle

Visit site
On mine (fin keel version) it's a thumping great block of concrete up. under the gunwale Maybe the lift keel version needs even more weight to balance the port water tank

My lead is worth more than your concrete block, perhaps that's why mine is:
a) 450kg heavier than yours
b) 5 grand dearer to start with.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Apropos not very much, I once bought some really nice used rosewood three-door double width filing cabinets. They proved to be almost impossible to lift. On investigation, it turned out that each had a concrete paving slab bolted vertically to the back surface to act as a counterweight and stop them toppling when a loaded drawer was pulled fully out.

Visit site

Be grateful! Both my last two boats ( Moody and Bowman) have a list to port because the fuel and batteries are on that side and the water on starboard. So the only time they sit upright at anchor is when the water tank is full and the diesel half empty. A good 5 deg list by the way.

But you've given me an idea. How much for the lead?