Hurst Castle Spit, Solent

dancrane

Visit site
Concrete it, quick!

By season's end, we'll have bridged the Solent and no longer need to pay £90+ for each crossing, to Wightlink and Red Funnel.

EDIT: Ooops, forget it, that spit isn't going in the right direction for a crossing.

Last edited:

burgundyben

Visit site
Opps, missed this and started another thread.

I think its been there a long time, the change is that a section has washed away leaving an Island.

I mess about in small craft there often and wander along that beach several times each summer, so I know it well.

Screenshot-20230208-073839-Maps.jpg

andyjcox1

Visit site
Hi, I am planning on sailing back to Poole from the Solent this weekend using the North Channel to exit the Solent and wondered if this sandbank off from Hurst is still there? Thanks

onesea

Visit site
I haven’t been near this year, however I often hop in close. Watching your depth guage and leaving sensible depth underneath its fine.
Navigate plotter with out monitoring depth gauge or updated charts you could get a bump.

Most seem to be wary and stand well clear.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We pass it closely regularly. It’s quite steep to, you’ll bottle out long before any risk of grounding. Really, itks nothing to be concerned about. The north channel is unaffected by it, you just have to remember it’s there if you come out of Keyhaven heading for the west.

MoodyChris

Visit site
Hi, I am planning on sailing back to Poole from the Solent this weekend using the North Channel to exit the Solent and wondered if this sandbank off from Hurst is still there? Thanks
We sailed around Hurst last week and no sign of a significant bank even quite close in although there was some suspiciously smooth water where it is supposed to be. We stayed away and the sounder didn't go lower than about 50 feet (from memory). Either way, nothing to worry about.

20240408_094420_sm.jpg20240408_094425_sm.jpg20240408_095149_sm.jpg20240408_093801_sm.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
That is just the way to do it if you can. Go onto port tack as the ebb starts to strengthen. Bow on the lighthouse and let the tide take you through - a bit closer in than your course as the tide is usually a bit stronger.. Very satisfying if you get it right. Similar coming in with the bow on Fort Albert. Often 9 or 10 nots over the ground on a spring tide.