Hurley 22 new engine

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
What are your chances of stowing an inflatable in the lazarette then ?

Excellent, I would have thought. I had the outboard well version, so I don't know exactly what the 'replacement' lazarette arrangement was, but you could certainly fit an inflatable in my outboard well if there wasn't already an engine in it.

Pic of a Hurley 22 outboard well/lazarette (from Owner's Club website):

Last edited:

LittleSister

Visit site
The thing is that Hurley 22 yacht sail nicely and are properly ballasted.

If you don't like em, don't buy one.

If you do like em, then great. I do too

+1

A truly great boat: impressively capable, seaworthy and reassuring for its size and cost, and widely praised by both owners and the yachting press over many years.

However, Seajet is, for some reason, incapable of accepting that any boat other than his has any real merit, that others' tastes and preferences may validly differ from his, or that his assumptions and prejudices don't render facts untrue. (Curiously, he can be quite interesting and entertaining if you can get him off the topic of comparing his boat to others.)

machurley22

Visit site
However, Seajet is, for some reason, incapable of accepting that any boat other than his has any real merit, that others' tastes and preferences may validly differ from his, or that his assumptions and prejudices don't render facts untrue.
To be honest, I'm hard put to decide which of them is the worse ambassador for these two excellent but widely differing designs; Seajet with his monomania resulting in an inability to see any real merit in any other yacht of an even remotely similar size (as you say LittleSister) or Nick Vass with his penchant for jumping in both feet first with only the vaguest grasp of who is saying what to whom, or why they are saying it.

Topcat47

Visit site
Nick is a Hurley afficionado, Seajet one for his Anderson. So far so good. For the most part, Nick's posts have been cogent to the post in hand. He does know Hurley boats well.

I don't think he's been unreasonable here.

It helps (for me anyway) that I think he's mostly on the ball. I looked at 22s and 24/7s before buying my own boat. They are good solid sea boats. I've no experience of the Andersons and wouldn't seek to compare the two, but I'd be happy to go to sea in ANY Hurley, especially one with an inboard engine.

My boat orignially had a Dolphin. Not now. Mind you I've a bit more space to spare down below than I would have in a Hurley 22

machurley22

Visit site
Topcat47;3938348I don't think he's been unreasonable here.[/QUOTE said:
You're probably right although

There's always been confusion on the 'net about the Hurley 22 numbers. This SailboatData page shows a drawing which includes a label describing the ballast as "IRON .714 TONS" which is 1600lbs and would make the rest of the boat 2300lbs, the exact opposite of the data panel on the same page where the ballast is stated to be 2300lbs.

I did bring this up on the Yahoo group some years ago but no-one seemed to be able to resolve the matter. I've always been more inclined to believe the drawing which would make the ballast ratio 41%.

The drawing that Sailboat Data.com use is not one that I supplied them with.

They have made a couple of mistakes in the description too. They might possibly have got the drawings off a Hurley 700 brochure.

There are a lot of Hurley 700s in Holland, Baltic countries and in USA and Canada.

Its also worth noting that Hurley were a very big exporter of goods. Most Hurley yachts were exported from the UK making them important for our economy at the time.

The stats that are listed in the Hurley, SCM, Ravensail and Hurlwind brochures are as follows:
Ballast 2,300lb 1,040kg
Displacement 3,900lb 1,770kg

If you are that bothered you should dismantle your boat and weigh the bits.

Have you asked Ian Anderson?

The thing is that Hurley 22 yacht sail nicely and are properly ballasted.

If you don't like em, don't buy one.

If you do like em, then great. I do too
doesn't seem to recognise that that I'm a Hurley 22 owner and know how they sail as well - probably better - than he does. He's always seemed to me to be more interested in defending his assumed position as a Hurley expert than in honestly discussing the pros and cons of these great wee boats.

I'm probably overly influenced by some of his previous incursions here.

Seajet

Visit site
To be honest, I'm hard put to decide which of them is the worse ambassador for these two excellent but widely differing designs; Seajet with his monomania resulting in an inability to see any real merit in any other yacht of an even remotely similar size (as you say LittleSister) or Nick Vass with his penchant for jumping in both feet first with only the vaguest grasp of who is saying what to whom, or why they are saying it.

I'm sorry if I come across as a 'monomaniac', I thought that was someone who doesn't like catamarans !

In which case count me in, tried them but not for me...

The Hurley 22 is a fine boat, I just can't help thinking that for a supposed sea boat my old chum who'd owned ones' comment that it stopped dead facing into heavy weather seems a bit of a snag; however I'm sure it has more room below than an Anderson, and I remember Margaret Rule ( ? ) taking a Hurley around the world.

While I can honestly say I've never found a better all rounder than the A22, ( the PBO review was titled ' Andersons' All Rounder ' ) it's horses for courses; for example an E-Boat is much better in force 3 or less, then again I'd have a dinghy for that and it would probably have better accomodation, without the rather impolite habit of sinking !

Last edited:

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Seajet, if the topic was anything between best micro day sailer and best family long distance cruiser you'd pitch up soon enough telling everyone how the Anderson 22 was actually the best option. It's very endearing and a sort of forum in-joke, I sincerely hope you don't stop doing it.

Nick Vass

Visit site
You're probably right although

doesn't seem to recognise that that I'm a Hurley 22 owner and know how they sail as well - probably better - than he does. He's always seemed to me to be more interested in defending his assumed position as a Hurley expert than in honestly discussing the pros and cons of these great wee boats.

I'm probably overly influenced by some of his previous incursions here.

I know exactly who you are Mr Machurley. How could I have forget? Your the reason why I stopped taking part in the Yahoo group about six years ago. Your the guy who had a lot to say but at the same time refused to join the Hurley Owners Association because your 'not the joining in type'?

This thread is getting silly now and I don't like your snipey and nasty comments.

There are many cons associated with a Hurley 22 and I have listed them in many places at other times and on the HOA website.

This thread has gone well off target and has become personal and unpleasant. The topic was, how easy is it to fit an inboard in a Hurley 22.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I'm sorry Nick that you seem to have encountered some forumites from 'the dark side' on one of your first contributions to the discussion. Some people are like that!
I think I've given up on an engineless Hurley 22, the economics just don't stack up of fitting an engine into one. I still like the look of the boat though but maybe a 24/70 would be more suitable.

Last edited:

Nick Vass

Visit site
I think I've given up on an engineless Hurley 22, the economics just don't stack up of fitting an engine into one. I still like the look of the boat though but maybe a 24/70 would be more suitable.

From what I remember, you are looking for a small bilge keel yacht with an inboard?

Sadly the Samphire was long keel.

Here is a quick list of boats that came to mind whilst having a bath. There would I'm sure be lots of boats that I have missed off the list by accident.

Have tried to keep the list to boats that cost well under £10k, but I have sneeked in a few good boats like the Sadler 26 that would be over about £14k. I have only included boats only up to 27' max.

Not in alphabetical order and not in order or bestness or anything. In my opinion some of the following are great but some are not so great.

Cobra 700 and 750
Colvic Sailor 26
Colvic Springtide. Long keel with bilge plates
Alpha 25 rare
Elizabethan 23. Lift keel with beaching legs
Invader 22
Islander 23
Kestrel 22
Sadler 25
Sadler 26 more expensive at around £14k plus
Tomahawk 25 built by Marcon
Marcon 22
Mirage 26
Salty Dog
Salty Pup
Hunter Ranger 245 more expensive as they are newer
Hunter Horizon 23 a few had inboards
Hunter Horizon 26 and 27 plus 272 etc
Jaguar 24 C/R most had outboards though
Jaguar 25
Pegasus 700 and 800 had saildrives
Moody 27 more expensive
Seamaster Sailer 23 looks like a Pageant but keels are shorter
Seamaster 815
Searider 25
Trident 24. Some had bilge keels most were triple
Leisure 23 and 23 SL
Newbridge Venturer 23’ some had diesel inboards but rare
Newbridge Virgo and Virgo Voyager 23’
Newbridge Pioneer 26’ and Pioneer Pilot 26’ motor sailer
Balaton 24
Achiles. Tripple keel
Halcyon 23
Snapdragon 600, 670, 24, 747
Vivacity 24
Ballerina MkII
Westerly 22, 25 and Windrush 25’
Westerly Pageant 23’
Westerly Centaur 26’ £6k for a rough one
Westerly Griffon 26’ more expensive at £12k plus ish

Having owned a Hurley 24/70 for 19 years I must say that I like them and would rate them. They are not expensive but are robust and sail nicely.
The Hurley 24/70 does suffer some issues and is not perfect.
Watch out for mast compression, cracking around the keels and other things. The sail area is a little low so thay are not fast but they are a very dry boat and have good accomodation with standing headroom without looking like slugs. A good compromise at a reasonable price.

Nick

LittleSister

Visit site
Calypso 19

was a bilge keel yacht built by North Sea Craft and also designed by David Cannell just like the Samphire.

Strangley the Calypso had two lifting keels.

Has anyone ever seen one?

Anyone got one?

It's not a bilge keeler as generally known - it has twin lifting keels, with (i think) vestigial bilge keel stubs. I'd love to find out more about them and see some more pics as I have an interest in Cannell designed boats (they include Itchen Ferry; Tamarisk 19 and 24; North Sea 127, as well as the Samphires).

I'll post a picture shortly as I'm having problems uploading and dinner is almost ready.