Hunter Horizon 23

kamala 2000

Visit site
Thinking of making an offer on a Hunter Horizon 23 and would appreciate some advise on how having the outboard engine on the port side effects the steering when motoring also does having the weight on one side effect the sailing performance .

Gixer

Visit site
Most of the 23’s have outboards and don’t have any problems. Have a read though the Hunter Association Website, loads of useful information.

V1701

Visit site
I'd be less concerned about the steering ability than the issue of having to motor for any length of time or distance in anything other than calm waters with an outboard. Not great if you're caught out in any sort of weather and need to motor. What sort of sailing and where are you planning to do?

PeterV

Visit site
I have a Hunter Duette, which was later given a new deck moulding to become the Horizon 23 and I use a Tohatsu 6hp. My well is on the centreline but the ob cannot be raised like the Horizon, it has to be lifted out which is rather awkward. I also have a transom bracket which I've occasionally used the ob on which would be as far over to the side as the Horizon well. It doesn't affect the heel of the boat noticeably nor is there any tendency to not steer straight once underway. I far prefer an ob on a boat this size for all the convenience of servicing and cost. Being in a well it's easily as useable at sea as an inboard, with none of the issues an ob on the stern has.

seumask

Visit site
We had the similar hunter delta 25 ( same hull as the Horizon 23 cut down) powered by an 6hp tohatsu, in the port side cockpit locker. We crossed the channel to the channel islands in it and much solent and coastal sailing with a young family. If there was any wind we sailed as that was faster. I had the same worry when we brought her and the previous owner simply said if there is any wind you'll find she sails well.
Only one occasion without the family aboard did I have any doubt about the engine and that was exiting the Lymington river in a SW F7 against the incoming tide. The motor just managed until we put the jib up and planned down the Solent back to Chichester harbour with the engine up regularly hitting 12 knots. Wife was pleased to see us!

SaltIre

Visit site
Having an outboard improves the sailing performance compared with a (heavier) inboard - particularly if you can take it off and store it inside. If not just leave it on.
I sailed a Sadler 25 with a 5HP Mariner Outboard and it was OK - but I knew how to sail! The biggest issues were motoring in seas, I couldn't because the prop would come out the water, and motoring in any amount of wind. I could motor OK with wind from the starboard side - the prop would be well buried in the water. Since the outboard was on the post side wind from port would tend to heel the boat and the prop would come out the water.
To be honest mine was a sailing boat so I wasn't too bothered about not having an inboard. For passages and races the outboard and dinghy got stored in the "engine compartment", although I had to temporarily move the big coolbox to pass them in.
Whirligig.jpg

Edit:
OK - I've now done my homework and realise the outboard is in a well...
Hunter Horizon 23 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales
So you can ignore much of my post! Motoring in seas should be fine. Not sure about the influence of the boat heeling port/starboard, though.
It's a nice picture, one of my favourites - Glenbatrick Bay at the entrance to Loch Tarbert, Jura - on passage from Tobermory to Craighouse via Staffa.

Last edited:

lw395

Visit site
Hunters (British) are sailors' boats.
If you prefer to motor rather than say tack down a wide estuary, maybe they aren't ideal for you.
Lots of people raced Impalas across channel back last century, motoring home in no wind needed a lot of petrol with the 2T outboards of the day, so many boats were converted to Yanmar 1GMs. With today's 4T outboards, it might be a little different.
Refurbing or replacing a dodgy diesel is a lot more cash than a 6HP outboard.

The offset weight is probably easily balanced by stowing a few things the other side.
Batteries? Spare anchor? Some water? Rubber dinghy? few tins of beans?

Jim@sea

Visit site
Thinking of making an offer on a Hunter Horizon 23 and would appreciate some advise on how having the outboard engine on the port side effects the steering when motoring also does having the weight on one side effect the sailing performance .
would you not be better waiting to see if prices come down, if you made an offer today you would not be able to drive to see it, or even use it.

kamala 2000

Visit site
Hi All ,thanks for all the useful advise . Currently waiting for the crisis to end and hope to be afloat again soon . Moving up from Wayfarer World so looking for fast and fun sailing .

IPsailor

Visit site
Hi Kamala -

We had a Hunter 23 for about 5 years, initially powered by a Honda 5hp and when that died a Yamaha 6hp in the port cockpit well. Both would be lifted up to reduce drag while sailing. As you start motoring ahead of course it turns to starboard until you get sufficient flow over the rudder to get steerage. Once you have a knot of "speed" it handled well under motor. Because the prop thrust is not over the rudder blade it doesn't handle like a small yacht with an inboard in terms of slow speed "marina" type manoeuvres but the handling was entirely predictable and as the boat was comparatively light if we were leaving a pontoon it was usually easier to just push the boat off in the right direction rather than try to motor off the berth. In terms of whether the outboard weight caused an imbalance I was never aware of it - in our H23 the water tank was under the starboard quarter berth and probably balanced the motor on the port side.
In bumpy water you would get some cavitation as the prop came up towards the surface but much less than I'd experienced with a transom-hung outboard. To be honest it was a really good small sailing boat - hull pretty much the same as the Sonata, the 23's twin keels didn't affect performance significantly - and you could do almost all manoeuvres under sail rather than using the motor. We used ours for Anglesey cruising and Irish Sea crossings and never regretted the purchase.

tross

Visit site
These are great little boats. I had one for 13 years and did over3k miles in it mostly singlehanded . The only thing I would add to the conversation is; have remote controls fitted the the Yamaha and mold a little plug to close off the hole when the outboard is raised - make a hell of a difference and keep the outboard dry. Yes she will sometimes cavitate on a port tack but easy / reef the main to counter that.