Humber Sailors

tonywar

Visit site
I was wondering if there are any forum members who sail the Humber. I am looking at a mooring on the Humber but don't really know the area. My sailing has always been either further north or further south. Is a bilge keel the most appropriate for the area as I understand there are a lot of sand(mud) banks and drying anchorages.

Ta very much for opinions on the matter.

paulrossall

Visit site
Live at Newark and take boat from home every year down Trent and Witham to Boston, through Wash down to river Deben just above Felixstowe. This is without doubt the best sailing area on the East Coast. Even if the sea is rough you can sail on the rivers so do not end up wasting a weekend. Have bilge keels which are ideal for this area.
Going back to the Humber, "Tidal havens of the Wash & Humber" by Henry Irving details the main places. However I don't trust the information so would only use it to find out general info. (eg tidal streams at back say they are based on HW Hull but they are HW Dover which makes a big difference!!) Having sailed out of Hull, Grimsby and Ferriby I would not want to sail on the Humber out of choice. Tidal streams are significant, access to ports is very limited sceenery is nondescript and weather always seems to be inhospitable. Good things are Grimsby yacht club which is very friendly, cheap and folk welcome you. Clapson & Sons boatyard & moorings on river Ancholme at South Ferriby are again friendly, helpfull, reasonable prices and know what they are talking about (unlike some places that just want to sell you anything and take your money). Difficult to sail out of one port and go into another without hanging about waiting for tide.
Charts of Humber are issued ever week as sandbanks change, issued by Associated British Ports.
Going North you go to Bridlington which dries and South you have a long treck down to North Norfolk which is inhospitable (but very nice)and then down to Lowestoft which is approaching the right area and yacht club there is one of the best in the Country.
Winteringham does have some good pubs but dries. Send me a PM if you want any more info. Don't mean to put you off and only my opinions. Go to Grimsby yacht club Saturday/Sunday lunch-time and talk to members in the club house, they will be very helpfull.

Bergman

Visit site
Had a season at Hull a few years ago. Might be back there again this year.

Its vital to get up to date charts, and I mean up to date - every week or two for upper Humber.

Lower part from Hull to Spurn not too bad but lots of commercial traffic, listen on VTS for info they are very good.

Bilge keels are ok but don't treat going aground lightly, few years ago one of the big oil barges lost his engine, was swept across tide, grounded and sank in a few minutes, helicopter rescued crew.

Main disadvantage is strength of tide, there are a few slack areas where its shallow but essentially on flood you go upstream and on ebb go down, no practical alternative. Other downside, from Hull is nowhere to go for day other than Spurn and back or Trent falls and back depending on tide. Grimsby might be better. Even then next harbour N from Spurn is about 40 miles to Brid or S even further to Wash.

On plus side Hull Marina is good, pleasant service well situated, and very cheap.

uforea

Visit site
I have sailed on the Humber for many years now and have found that like most things in life you only get out of it what you put in. Can be a difficult place to sail on but it is always interesting. Best club on the river is the Humber Yawl Club with facilities on both sides of the river at Brough and at Winteringham and at either you will be made most welcome. If you want more info contact me direct

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
I did all my training on the Humber, Living in South York’s I could tear over the M62 and be in Hull sometimes in just ½ hour also joined in the Grimsby regatta great week end very nice people at the club, I do like sailing the Humber, after working all week in and out of the cities like Leeds It’s a quick place to get to, had some great times with David King Yachting (now in Ireland) although a busy waterway there are some interesting and relaxing places!

Wishbone

G

Come and join us, in our 3 seasons I can't ever remember the weather preventing a sail as we are based in Hull Marina. Sheltered, but interesting sailing. Agree with another respondent with regard to Humber Yawl Club, very welcoming. We enjoy getting down to Wells and the North Norfolk coast 12/13 hours and up to Brid 10 hours. Hope to see you this season.....