Hull Refurbishment

Guy

Visit site
I have a 25 year GRP sports boat which is mechanically in A1 condition and upholstery wise in a similar condition, The hull and deck whilst undamaged could do with some refurbishment, being GRP is it posible to have the hull and deck painted either brush or sprayed and if so does any one know a company that could under take this type of work. Or is ther a better way to refubish a GRP hull.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Our 1982 sailing boat had topsides sprayed in 1998. They are still in excellent shape. Give it maybe another 3-4 years they may need to be redone. I believe according to invoices supplied with boat the paint was acrylic. The secret is in the preparation and priming.

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"

AndrewJ

Visit site
As the other posting stated, preparation is the key. I just repainted my deck using a roller and brush around the brightwork. and it came out really well. The preparation is the key, cleaning/sanding and then some prepation material. I think mine was xp2000 (or something like that, but it's recommended according to the label on the paint can).
It was definitely cheaper and more satisfying than paying a yard to do it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jewel

Visit site
Did you have a look at October 2003 copy of Practical Boat Owner? There is an article on making your hull look like new. Rubbing compound, polish and wax system which appears to work if the photos ar anything to go by. May be worth considering as an alternative to expensive paint job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfkal

Visit site
I really want to have a look at the October issue if only they would care to send it to me...................... Dunno why I subscribe, paying more than at the news-stand (overseas) just to find out that the glorious publishers have a delivery failure rate of 30 %. So much for service outsourcing. Cannot speak to a human being either. All I get is computer generated stereo types.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Avocet

Visit site
Unless the gelcoat is cracked, crazed, pitted or in some other way seriously defaced, I'd try to avoid painting for as long as possible. You'd be amazed how well they can come up after a good buffing with bodyshop buffing compound (I use Farecla G3) and a proper industrial low speed buffing machine. Whenever I've looked at a yacht to buy and have seen painted topsides I've always been a bit suspicious as to what lies underneath!

<hr width=100% size=1>